mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:38 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:36 am 

Peter Laidler wrote:
Can you just imagine if LRC, London Rubber Company, made Durex from duff rubber. Maybe a consortium of the large stockists ought to speak to LRC and have some Durex quality stuff made. We could have ribbed gaiters and gaiters in different colours and...... it's mind blowing!

Interesting comment.
For such automotive items and prophylactic devices, any incidence of defect or failure can be disastrous.
In process testing for condom manufacture ensures better than 99.9% reliability.
Experience of cheap after market gaiters and boots suggests much lower performance.
Taking the Durex example, production to the same standard (BSI) in Thailand, India and China was no problem.
Clearly the materials and know-how exist, it's just a compromise in the process / inspection which allows sub standard parts to be placed on the market.
Would be interesting to know (Rich) where MS find best results for rubber components.
From experience I know it is possible to set this up in India or China, however, the tooling costs in China are so much cheaper, thereby attractive .. I preferred Indian.

Genuine NOS rubber parts (however ancient) continue to command high premiums on ebay.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:34 am 

I have looked at the Somerford Mini website and do not find the Japanese Mini parts listed.

Have they not updated their site with the new parts?

Thanks.

Jim

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:32 am 

I live down the road from them, ill pop in and report back,

See if its special order stuff or on the shelf going forward.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:42 pm 

Rich997 wrote:
Interesting comment.
For such automotive items and prophylactic devices, any incidence of defect or failure can be disastrous.
In process testing for condom manufacture ensures better than 99.9% reliability.
Experience of cheap after market gaiters and boots suggests much lower performance.
Taking the Durex example, production to the same standard (BSI) in Thailand, India and China was no problem.
Clearly the materials and know-how exist, it's just a compromise in the process / inspection which allows sub standard parts to be placed on the market.
Would be interesting to know (Rich) where MS find best results for rubber components.
From experience I know it is possible to set this up in India or China, however, the tooling costs in China are so much cheaper, thereby attractive .. I preferred Indian.

Genuine NOS rubber parts (however ancient) continue to command high premiums on ebay.

Ah, but how long do prophylactic devices have to last once you get them out of their packaging? ;) (If that's not a cue for the comedians on here I don't know what is.... :oops: )

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:04 pm 

Depends how big you want your water balloon ! :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:19 am 

mini_surfari, Thanks for taking the time to stop at Somerford Mini. Hope the parts are on the shelf.

Would be nice to see the entire line of Japanese parts that they carry on their website for customers to view.

I believe most people would pay more for decent quality parts and thus, not have to perform the repair in 6 months or even less.

Jim