mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:17 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:22 am 
Site Admin

Location: Oop North where it's dark & cold nearly all the time.
Hi Spencer_D,

Welcome to the forum (again).

That looks like an interesting project. What are the plans :)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:51 am 

Thank you for the welcome,

All of the rear end modifications are based around having the option to be able to run as low as possible but still having decent suspension travel and exhaust clearance , also the ability to still run archless with coilovers and I wanted to keep a proper inner wheel arch shape and lip not like with normal 'tubbing'

Saving as much weight as possible but still looking as standard as possible, so any lighter materials such as carbon parcel shelf, rear valance and bootlid will be painted and definitely not exposed weave / 'on show'.

It's taken months to juggle the shape, size and position of what started out as standard panels to as they are now but hopefully just needs the rear panel and rear lower quarters welding on and that's the rear end done with.

Wont be to everyone's taste.....

Cheers Spencer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:26 am 
Site Admin

Location: Oop North where it's dark & cold nearly all the time.

That's not a bad thing!

Something that is to everyone taste would be bland as buggery.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:06 pm 

mk1 wrote:
Thank you for starting this thread Leon!

It is always difficult getting newly signed up members to make the jump from lurker to user.

To anyone who hasn't posted before, your contributions are most welcome & all new input is very much appreciated.

Unlike some forums, we actually WELCOME new members & look forward to hearing about your cars & projects. Don't be worried about asking a "daft question", I always reckon that there are no daft questions, If you don't know something, then you don't know it . It's just a shame the same can't be said about some answers :lol:

So come on then, lets here from you.

Regards,

mark

To lurkers. I can fully attest to what Mark is saying. I've been here and active for a few years and I STILL ask stupid questions and everyone is STILL unfailingly nice. It's a virtual pub visit, just here to talk cars and help, there's no one upsmanship or snobbery. So speak up and help keep the forum going strong.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:10 pm 

Spencer_D wrote:

that's what I aim for with all my projects :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

'long beard boss'

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:17 pm 

To lurkers FROM a previous lurker. Just think about what you have wanted or want to say and write it as a something you want to tell your mum in a letter - if you remember letters! Then read it again like she would - then press send! You ain't writing a uni thesis or highly technical paper but if it's going that way just remember KISS. Keep It Simple Stupid. Works a treat. Annanuvverfing too. Anyone who has a mini has made a simple job out of what seemed to be a difficult job. That's what WE want to know and do too.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:11 am 

JohninCM I love your Cooper! Great stance and colour. And glad to know I'm not along in that wheel addiction affliction...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:37 pm 

Another long time lurker here!
I am from Dublin and have been driving Minis since 1989.
I have two 1980 Minis, a 1000 and a 1275GT.
The blue Mini 1000 was my first car, and has been driven by various other family members in the meantime. It is currently having a front brake rebuild, but gets used from time to time.
The GT I have owned since the early 1990's and drove up until the mid 90's. One of my brothers drove it for a while, but it has been off the road since 1998. The plan is to rebuild it and have bought most of the panels required. Engine and gearbox will need a rebuild too.

I also owned an Irish assembled 1960 Austin Seven at one stage, which is now owned by Java GT on here.

Sticking with the A-series theme, my Dad has this 1974 1300GT which he rescued from a garage after it sat there for 27 years, and got it running again. Not bad for a man who turned 85 today!

Last edited by DaveC on Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:11 pm 

rich@minispares.com wrote:
Spencer_D wrote:

that's what I aim for with all my projects :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I thought your holy grail was something that wasn't to anyone's taste?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:24 pm 

[quote="DaveC"]Another long time lurker here!
I also owned an Irish assembled 1960 Austin Seven at one stage, which is now owned by Java GT on here.

Nearly all the panels are bought for it Dave and I was going to start it after the IMM was over but I have been side tracked by an Aussie Moke I just bought.I know absolutely nothing about them body wise but I am on a very steep learning curve. :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next