mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:42 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:39 am 

Looking at the membership list there are nearly 4200 members on the forum, which is amazing. There have been 400 new members so far in 2017 alone. We would love to hear your Mini stories. Especially your Mini pics (current cars or projects, cars you've owned, cars that interest you). Also interesting to know is where in the world you are?

Lots of interesting sounding new user names, suggest some interesting cars too. Names like:
850south
andersen owner
innomaniac
59surprise
Mk1 1380straitcut
Marcos Graveyard
970blower (glad to see you have posted already. Pics and details of your car please ;) )
Heinz63
classic racer
split pin
Fullmonte
Supercharged
Exminiman

I'd like to encourage all of you who haven't posted yet to make that jump. It is addictive, be warned.

Leon

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:35 am 

I'm not sure I have shared a photo of our Mini so now is a perfect time right?

Our Mini is an Australian assembled CKD 1964 Morris Cooper that I imported to the USA about 12yrs years ago. All original sheet metal except the boot lid was replaced with a later AUS spec unit at some point (my understanding is a CKD should have the same boot lid as a UK Mini). And the front valance was trimmed to look like a later Mini.

When purchased it was still running a 998 and 7.0in disks. Since then I have replaced the lump with a solid back 1275 plucked from a Austin America along with the 4 syncro gearbox.

The 1275 was completely rebuilt with plenty of goodies ... Keith Calver head, bored over, S rods, 266 cam, ratio rockers, 123 dist, ARP fasteners, lightened flywheel, LCB, RC40, dual 1.5in's, Cooper S gear set in the tranny with 3.44 FD and a chrome dip stick (joking about the dip stick).

Under the body 7.5 disks have been added up front with wide MiniFins out back. Hi-Lo's, coil springs and adjustable shocks (forget the brand but they came from Japan). There are five sets of wheels to support the Mini (down from a high of eight sets). Currently rolling on a set of the other guys rose-petals with A008's. Thankfully rose petal wheels are still fairly uncommon here.

I live about 5 minutes from DisneyLand in Anaheim, California and confess to having a wheel addiction issue.

John

Attachment:
IMG_20170304_182758_629 resize.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:10 am 

JohninCM wrote:

Our Mini is an Australian assembled CKD 1964 Morris Cooper that I imported to the USA about 12yrs years ago. All original sheet metal except the boot lid was replaced with a later AUS spec unit at some point (my understanding is a CKD should have the same boot lid as a UK Mini). And the front valance was trimmed to look like a later Mini.

When purchased it was still running a 998 and 7.0in disks. Since then I have replaced the lump with a solid back 1275 plucked from a Austin America along with the 4 syncro gearbox.

The 1275 was completely rebuilt with plenty of goodies ... Keith Calver head, bored over, S rods, 266 cam, ratio rockers, 123 dist, ARP fasteners, lightened flywheel, LCB, RC40, dual 1.5in's, Cooper S gear set in the tranny with 3.44 FD and a chrome dip stick (joking about the dip stick).

Under the body 7.5 disks have been added up front with wide MiniFins out back. Hi-Lo's, coil springs and adjustable shocks (forget the brand but they came from Japan). There are five sets of wheels to support the Mini (down from a high of eight sets). Currently rolling on a set of the other guys rose-petals with A008's. Thankfully rose petal wheels are still fairly uncommon here.

I live about 5 minutes from DisneyLand in Anaheim, California and confess to having a wheel addiction issue.

John

Attachment:
IMG_20170304_182758_629 resize.jpg

Depending on when it was made in 1964 it might have the narrow style boot. They started pressing panels and assembling engines early 1964 and gradually brought in more local content. What prefix do you have for the engine? 9FA/SA/L or 9Y/Sa/H ?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:35 am 

timmy201 wrote:
Depending on when it was made in 1964 it might have the narrow style boot. They started pressing panels and assembling engines early 1964 and gradually brought in more local content. What prefix do you have for the engine? 9FA/SA/L or 9Y/Sa/H ?

The factory fitted engine was 9FA/SA/L1806 and the body number is YKA2S13628.

Either way I prefer the narrow style boot because of the Australian heritage and it is better suited for our license plates here in the States.

John

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:42 am 
Site Admin

Location: Oop North where it's dark & cold nearly all the time.
Thank you for starting this thread Leon!

It is always difficult getting newly signed up members to make the jump from lurker to user.

To anyone who hasn't posted before, your contributions are most welcome & all new input is very much appreciated.

Unlike some forums, we actually WELCOME new members & look forward to hearing about your cars & projects. Don't be worried about asking a "daft question", I always reckon that there are no daft questions, If you don't know something, then you don't know it . It's just a shame the same can't be said about some answers :lol:

So come on then, lets here from you.

Regards,

mark

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:46 am 

JohninCM wrote:
timmy201 wrote:

The factory fitted engine was 9FA/SA/L1806 and the body number is YKA2S13628.

Either way I prefer the narrow style boot because of the Australian heritage and it is better suited for our license plates here in the States.

John

Yours looks to be right near the changeover time at mid 64. I'd claim it as original :D

The 850 swapped to one piece headlining at the same time as the short boot flap, I'd assume the Cooper would be similar..

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:17 pm 

Great idea! Could be worth making this a sticky to keep it visible?

I know, I know. We don't like stickies!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:11 pm 

timmy201 wrote:
Yours looks to be right near the changeover time at mid 64. I'd claim it as original :D

The 850 swapped to one piece headlining at the same time as the short boot flap, I'd assume the Cooper would be similar..

Excellent information timmy201. Thank you!

Just incase anyone was wondering about the AUS Mini boot lid / license mount here is a photo of ours.

Attachment:
IMG_20160814_132456 sm.jpg

John

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:34 pm 

Long term lurker (Nearly 5 years and 1 previous post? thought I'd posted a few more?)

A Longbridge apprentice in the 80's, driving my, then MK3 ,1971 DCOE'd 1380 to and from Longbridge along the Bristol Road....

Love MK1's, don't think I can afford to own a good one anymore

My totally standard MK1 restoration WIP... (Ok maybe not - spot the difference?) :)

But lots of beautiful cars on here that I aspire to

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:59 pm 

JohninCM wrote:

John

Hi John, small world! I'm right up the 91 freeway from you about 15-20 minutes. Hopefully see you around at some events in the future (I need to finish my Mk1 restoration!).

Great license plate, BTW. 8-)