mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:13 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:55 am 

Another one. Low mileage 1970ish 998 motor complete from scrapyard. Only head reworked (ports balanced and polished, Cooper valves and double springs, Cooper exhaust manifold, twin SU's). Cam, if I remember, is a standard 998 Cooper (AEA630 I think). Bottom half has never been opened and has never lost a drop of oil!!
Car weighs about 650kgs with half a tank or so of fuel (Mini Traveller tank).
Rear wheels locked with Cox GTM lower wishbones.

My Mini Marcos in the background...sold about 3 years ago.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:55 pm 

What's up with the aero fan bolted to the engine when the radiator is in the front?
I also found some photos of the Mini Marcos online......really nice car and could you post some more photos of your blue Mk1 please.
JW

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:24 pm 

Been asked about the engine fan before! Inspite of front mounted rad with electric fan and lots of water in the system, temp gauge used to run at slightly above normal. I slapped on the old Downton variable pitch fan that I had lying around and the problem was solved. Agreed a bit bloody dangerous (no cowl) and perhaps a slight loss in HP...but what the heck, it's a fun car to drive. Think the airflow around the motor together with the exhaust manifold in the engine bay creates a heat buildup. The air comes in thru the side intakes and out the grill at the back between the tail lights without anything going directly over the motor. Perhaps a scoop of some sort in the engine bay at floor level in the centre would create some flow over the motor ..but haven't got round to that. Would really like to sort out the gear change though. I have used the old method of sawn in half cast gear lever extension with a rod under the sump connected to an ally block (ex Cox GTM) on the engine side. I perhaps made the mistake of cutting down the length of the gearlever and in so doing changed the lever effort required to find the gears. I think there have been several methods used but I have never managed to find a plan or measurements with which to change things.
The black area on the rear modesty panel is painted with 4 diffusers and not open to the air as it would seem.

I will scratch around for some more pics of the Mk1.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.