mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:52 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:45 am 

Good catch, Chuck, yes I can see that now. That picture was just the result of a google search to find a Mini painted Iris Blue. I'm very confused by all the options. I'm pretty sure my car's original colour was surf blue. But the good news is that I just bought another Wolseley 1000 so now I can have one a shade of pale blue (the original colour) and the other midnight blue!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:41 am 

I thought it proper to open up this thread, again; especially, since you (giraffe) have taken such a liking to the W-1000s, and, off-line, have been helping me track down the few in the U.S..

By the way, the grey one on lawn facing to the left and a little back was my first one. The photo was taken in Ryno's yard. I sold it to a friend in Seattle who has since moved on to Colorado. The light brown one, facing left and a little to the front is the one I currently own (and have had on the road as my daily driver). I don't name my cars, but Ryno calls it (you guessed it) Biscuit!

Last edited by cheleker on Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:44 am 

Lindsay, my car is the first one you pictured on this thread. Leon was instrumental in me buying this car. He collected it for me from Bethlehem and helped to arrange shipping to the UK. What a great guy. It had been re-painted in a horrible yellow many years ago. All the inside of the car was still painted in the original "dirty blue" as Ryno calls it. It is very similar to Clipper Blue like the 1959 - 1961 Minis. Maybe a shade darker though. I had the paint mixed to the exact match. The seats were similar colour with the basket weave centres. I wanted to restore them but they were too badly sun damaged. I took the seats to a local car trimmer and amazingly they matched the vinyl used for a Triumph Stag both in colour and the basket weave. A real stroke of luck.
Trevor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:54 pm 

Trevor and Chuck,

How lovely to hear from you. Leon said he had visited you in the UK, Trevor, and that your restoration is immaculate.

After all the advice on the forum, I decided to go with the original colour of my car, found inside the engine compartment and under the headliner, which looks like Bermuda Blue, not Surf Blue after all. I think it is a lovely colour and I'm happy I chose it. Unfortunately, I did not choose the person to paint my car wisely, so that's a bit of a disaster, but I will sort it out. (I do know now it should have the black strip behind the grille).

I'm excited to hear about the Triumph Stag vinyl. I actually bought another Wolseley 1000 Mini so I could use some of the vinyl from its car seats "dirty blue" (haha, Ryno) for my original car, planning to replace the second car's seats with the biscuit or maroon basketweave which is available from Martrim. The original blue vinyl would be so much better.

All the best,
Lindsay

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:05 pm 

Nice to hear that the seat cover is available. My Biscuit has seen enough years and use with the originals covers that they are getting close to needing to be replaced.

Peter, the owner of the grey W-1000 (named E.G. by Ryno -- stands for Earl Grey) has moved residence but is still in Colorado. Castle Rock, now.

Regarding the black paint up front behind the grille on the body and the bonnet, make sure it is not shiny paint. Too shiny can be worse than no black at all!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:10 pm 

Agree Chuck. Needs to be matt black.
I got my blue seats done by http://www.aldridge.co.uk/ if that is any help.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 6:20 pm 

I'm not usually a fan of light blue cars, but on a W1000 it looks "right". I do like the Midnight blue though. Welcome to the W1000 family!
https://imgur.com/a/hD5wz

Added a more recent picture of my car (or tried too at least not sure how this forum does pictureS)

-Peter

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:28 pm 

Peter - I love your car - it's really gorgeous, and the views are lovely too. Nice that you are EG can get out and about in the sunshine.

Trevor - Thank you for the contact details of Aldridge Trimming. I see they have "Shadow Blue" trimming for the Triumph Stag and they do say they supply trim kits for international mail order. Maybe they will be prepared to supply the door cards (it seems impossible to find someone here in South Africa, with a high frequency vinyl welding machine to make the horizontal panels for the door cards) and the fabric for the seats to be covered here.

Chuck - Thanks for the advice on the matt black paint. I have a photo of Ryno's engine compartment that I'm using for reference as the Wolseley seems to have some unique features - not least the burgundy engine block colour.

Best,
Lindsay

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:02 pm 

For a while (and certainly during the Wolseley 1000 and Mk 3 days) the South African engines were painted a colour used nowhere else. I don't know who came up with it, but he or she was having a bad day!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:59 pm 

Aldridge did my seats and door cards copied from the originals. Excellent job too. If you do decide to get some made from them I still have my old original ones out of my W1000. I am only 20 miles from them and could drop my old ones into them as a pattern if you wanted me to.