mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:54 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:44 pm 

Dear Forum,

I have a 1967 Wolseley 1000, from South Africa, painted (badly) a nasty royal blue.

I would like to repaint it an authentic colour, but bearing in mind limitations on availability of upholstery fabric. I would very much appreciate your advice.

The original colour of the car appears to have been Surf Blue, based on a scrap of colour I find inside the engine compartment. And it had a white roof. Upholstery/door cards are a teal (dark turquoise) colour but not in perfect condition and made with a basket weave vinyl which is very hard to find.

I like midnight blue and it is a standard BMC colour used for the Wolseley Mini (and other BMC cars too) in 1967 according to the Paint Codes. I would have a white roof and then I will be able to use maroon basket weave and plain vinyl to recover my seats and door cards. I think that could look quite nice. Unfortunately there is no record that midnight blue was ever used on a South African Wolseley 1000 (according to Ryno Verster, the South African Mini Historian, and in his book "Thanks for the Mini Memories").

The SA Wolseley Mini did come in Grey with a White roof. (And I believe Chuck Heleker in the USA may have one of these). I think that Dark grey (like Yukon Grey) or Grampian Grey, would look very elegant and go with maroon or even teal upholstery. But the Yukon grey is from 1968 on (and was used on Minis), while the Grampian grey from 1967 seems only to have been used on MGs. The grey of the SA Wolseley Mini seems to be more like a Mist grey or Cumulus grey and I prefer the darker grey to complement the maroon or teal or even biscuit-coloured upholstery I may be able to source.
It's a long story. And I can't decide. So I'm hoping that those who know and love Wolseley Minis (and Riley Elfs) will let me know what they think.

Many thanks for your help.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:58 am 

Hi Giraffe (I'm guessing that's not your real name)

Where are you based? Ryno and Chuck are definitely the people to talk to. Also chat to Trevor (who owns the first Wolseley you posted a pic of) as he has some restoration experience with this model.

Why not go with the original colour of the car and the correct carpet colour? You can then upholster the seats with whichever correct vinyl you find, and you can change the colour if/when you find the correct colour. Or possibly opt to have them dyed to the correct colour, although I have no idea how effective that would be.

That would be my gut response, but having said that, your chosen colour looks great - I'm sure it will turn out just as nice.

Leon

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:23 am 
Site Admin

Location: Oop North where it's dark & cold nearly all the time.
I tend to agree with Leon. If you are bothered about using original colours & fabrics, then it is probably better to stick to what it had originally, if you decide on a colour change, then go with what you fancy.

My choice (if it was my car) would be to go back to original.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:57 am 

yellow with a brown interior would be your favourite!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

'long beard boss'

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:54 pm 

Some examples of Wolseley 1000 colours

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:53 pm 

Dear Leon, Mk1, Rich and SurfBlue63,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your advice on this important (to me) decision.

I'm new to this forum and haven't figured out yet how to set up my profile properly. I'm in Johannesburg and I have been to see Ryno and have a look at his Biscuit-with-White roof Wolseley 1000 and discuss the colours of original Wolseleys 1000 that he found when recording his register (of about 35/456). He reported (and also in "Thanks for the Mini memories") that the known colours are pale dirtyish blue (surf blue?), white, pale grey, dark grey, British racing green and biscuit. I think the pale blue and light yellow in the official adverts may be surf blue and biscuit.

Thanks very much again!

Lindsay

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:12 am 

On UK Wolseleys they used a pale blue by the name of Iris Blue (BU12), with an Old English White roof. Looking at the paint card on the link below it appears to be similar to the colour of the light blue car from the Wolseley 1000 Brochure that I posted.

http://mk1-performance-conversions.co.u ... id_60s.pdf

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:08 am 
Site Admin

Location: Oop North where it's dark & cold nearly all the time.
Iris is a lovely colour, used on many Frogeye Sprites.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:11 pm 

That is a gorgeous colour, certainly, and the right year for my car. Thank you very much for the suggestion.

Leon, I see that you have the 109 Wolseley, while I have the 106. Judging from Ryno's photos of our cars in about 2002, they both looked like pale blue. But I see from your post here in 2012 - http://mk1-forum.net/viewtopic.php?t=5277 - that you found parts on your car showing it was originally smoke grey. I found a scrap of original paint in my engine compartment that matches the surf blue. Your car looks lovely, by the way.

Attachment:
iris blue2_sml.jpg

The Iris Blue seems to match the dignity of the Grey and Biscuit colours we know were used better than the Surf Blue.

You have all been very helpful and the dubious prize is a ride in my car when you are next in South Africa! :)

Many thanks

Lindsay

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:40 am 

KFT149 is a nice color, but one can tell it has been repainted. As with most Elf/Hornet/W-1000s the bonnet and slam panel were not repainted black so they would not show through the grille.