Just a nice period picture

General Chat with an emphasis on BMC Minis & Other iconic cars of the 1960's. Includes information on MK1 Action days.
Old English White

Re: Just a nice period picture

Post by Old English White »

Like JohnA I spotted the Italian design. The Italians were ahead of us in design but not rustproofing unfortunately so nobody younger will ever have seen one - although our homegrown Morris 1100 was hardly any better was it :lol: If the prize was pints I'd share them with him ;) I'm just enjoying a cool isolation beer right now as it happens so cheers everybody and good health :D. Let us hope we can all meet up at some future time.

JohnA
Location: Up north where men are men and sheep are frightened

Post by JohnA »

Old English White wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 7:46 pm
Like JohnA I spotted the Italian design. The Italians were ahead of us in design but not rustproofing unfortunately so nobody younger will ever have seen one - although our homegrown Morris 1100 was hardly any better was it :lol: If the prize was pints I'd share them with him ;) I'm just enjoying a cool isolation beer right now as it happens so cheers everybody and good health :D. Let us hope we can all meet up at some future time.
I've just enjoyed a pint myself,if the points had been shared pints we would probably ended up discussing the merits of rusty Italian cars.
I was once told that a lot of poor quality Russian steel was used in their manufacture as a debt had been paid with it.
I was working in garage in Sheffield in the 70s when a customer came in with a Lancia Beta which was less than 3 years old and the engine mounting had broken through the rotted crossmember and the power unit was almost touching the road.
Happy Days

AndyPen

Post by AndyPen »

As the thread has been a bit quiet of late, just recalled seeing this number plate at the vicarage when I was a kid... ;-)

90025943_2831207076915927_412512560600842240_n.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

redrobbo

Post by redrobbo »

same to you Andy :lol:

SMOKE GREY

Post by SMOKE GREY »

duke kent.jpg
Duke of Kent. Is that an Alexander badge on the rear? Buckinghamshire reg.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

woodypup59

Post by woodypup59 »

FU2 was the plate belonging to a certain Fiona Richmond if my schoolboy memory serves.

Looks like parking was something she was NOT GOOD at.

UHR850

Post by UHR850 »

SMOKE GREY wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:07 pm
duke kent.jpg

Duke of Kent. Is that an Alexander badge on the rear? Buckinghamshire reg.
Jip that's an Alexander tuned Mini.
DOWNTON Mini is what I like a lot.
Mini 1000 Super de Luxe Mk3 1974 for Downtoning it.
Collecting 60th wooden steeringwheels.

AndyPen

Post by AndyPen »

woodypup59 wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:14 pm
FU2 was the plate belonging to a certain Fiona Richmond if my schoolboy memory serves.

Correct ;-)

Paul Raymond got it for her along with another that I think was withdrawn???

She was my mates auntie and our band practiced in the back of her dads vicarage. My mate’s mum was the spit of her too and often got mistaken for her.

Later it was an e type pulling into the driveway, and a mini for the Cornish roads :-)

goff

Post by goff »

woodypup59 wrote:
Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:14 pm

To busy getting her Knicker's down than parking :lol: :lol: :lol:

AndyPen

Post by AndyPen »

Or having her knees touched up - by a professional airbrush artist no less - Joan Peters not me ;-)

Found the E Type. Pic taken outside the photographer's Gallery in Gt Marlborough St. and quite well known - January 74. I ended up in Kingly St a few years later, literally just around the corner and bumped into her a few times... but we had different lines of work before you ask!!!!

She couldn't keep the number when she parted with Paul Raymond, so the Smart's Circus daughter (forget her name) bought it, and even took it to the Palace if my memory serves me correctly.

Fi-in-EType.jpg