mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:06 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:43 am 

I’m in the early stages of restoring a 1275 GT originally built on 21 March 1972. My car’s had a tough life over the years and, while I know it’s Chassis Number and Engine Number, it’s Commission No., Body No. and Front-end No. have all been lost ‘in the mists of time’.

I’m keen to try to approximate the missing numbers by reference to any surviving ‘near-neighbours’ (GTs built +/- a month or so of mine). Does anyone have such a car and are they prepared to share their data with me? I stress I’m NOT interested in Registration No. or Chassis No.

If you own such a GT then I hope you might PM me on the basis of ‘I’ll show you mine if you show me yours’!

Thanks in advance for any help.
Anthony

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:55 am 

Drumbogle wrote:
I’m in the early stages of restoring a 1275 GT originally built on 21 March 1972. My car’s had a tough life over the years and, while I know it’s Chassis Number and Engine Number, it’s Commission No., Body No. and Front-end No. have all been lost ‘in the mists of time’.

I’m keen to try to approximate the missing numbers by reference to any surviving ‘near-neighbours’ (GTs built +/- a month or so of mine). Does anyone have such a car and are they prepared to share their data with me? I stress I’m NOT interested in Registration No. or Chassis No.

If you own such a GT then I hope you might PM me on the basis of ‘I’ll show you mine if you show me yours’!

Thanks in advance for any help.
Anthony
...With the amount of info u have ..try calling the Heritage number for a certificate ?? ..this may show some of the info u require ....DVLA enquiry line may or may not be helpful ???!!!....foxy52

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:40 pm 

My brother had a similar problem with an early 1275GT restoration but Tim at Minimail below can usually help:-

Commission Plate:
"This was fitted to cars 1969-1980 in addition to the chassis plate as an extra way of identifying model and detail changes. It is not a vital part of the identity for legal purposes, and no records exist of the numbers with the original manufacturers. If you want a plate done to restore the car to as original as possible and you have lost the original, we can supply a plate and put on a number that would be approximately right for the age of the car according to our researches."
https://www.minimail.co.uk/chassis-vin-plates/

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:52 pm 

"With the amount of info u have ..try calling the Heritage number for a certificate ?? ..this may show some of the info u require ....DVLA enquiry line may or may not be helpful ???!!!....foxy52"

Thanks foxy52. Unfortunately BMIHT's Heritage Certificates for the age of my car (as opposed to earlier Mk1/Mk2 cars) provide precious little information ... and certainly not Commission, Body and FE numbers. Likewise DVLA can and have provided me with pages of interesting information, but not the 3 pieces I'd most like!

Anthony

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:01 pm 

"My brother had a similar problem with an early 1275GT restoration but Tim at Minimail ... can usually help".

Thanks mab01uk. I've used Tim Harber/MiniMail on a number of occasions - first-class! Sadly not, it appears, 100% correct in this particular case. I've received MM's estimated Commission Number, but I've already found a GT with a significantly later Build Date and Chassis No. but a much earlier Commission No! It's really hard without the full factory data, which I understand weren't recorded.

Regards,
Anthony

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:45 pm 

Have to say that 1275GTs are pretty difficult to tie up. I can't find much info

Mk2 Coopers I have looked at often have a Chassis that may be 50 cars apart and the Commision is 3000 apart so I've learnt not to be too assuming

If you can come up with some sort of breakdown I'm all ears and can do you another

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:28 am 

Tim,

I've total confidence you do the very best job you can in tying all the, demonstrably incomplete, data together. Keep up the good work and I note what you say about the apparent inconsistencies of Chassis v Commission nos.

I've built up a small spreadsheet of information specific to early'ish GTs. Once I finally give up the hunt for 'near-neighbours' I'll let you have my data set to add to your own ... for the eventual benefit of everyone.

Regards,
Anthony

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:59 pm 

Quote:
I've received MM's estimated Commission Number, but I've already found a GT with a significantly later Build Date and Chassis No. but a much earlier Commission No!
The cars were not built in chassis number order hence the discrepancy :ugeek:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:36 pm 

Drumbogle wrote:
"With the amount of info u have ..try calling the Heritage number for a certificate ?? ..this may show some of the info u require ....DVLA enquiry line may or may not be helpful ???!!!....foxy52"

Thanks foxy52. Unfortunately BMIHT's Heritage Certificates for the age of my car (as opposed to earlier Mk1/Mk2 cars) provide precious little information ... and certainly not Commission, Body and FE numbers. Likewise DVLA can and have provided me with pages of interesting information, but not the 3 pieces I'd most like!

Anthony
mmmm... seems the older cars were easier in terms of hunting down build dates,flitch panel,comm numbers etc etc .. I was able to glean some info I hadn't got at the time for my 68 car.. foxy52

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:12 pm 

Anthony

My commission number is S20D-11283A, car was registered August 1972. No idea on build date.

I have PM'd some other info

Stuart