mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:30 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:33 pm 

"The cars were not built in chassis number order hence the discrepancy (Simon776)"

So Simon ... I'm all ears. If not by Chassis Number, in what order were the cars built?

Anthony

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:03 pm 

Hi,
Commision number on mine is S20D 2103A with a build date of April 1970.
Jerry

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:16 am 

Thanks Jerry. I'll PM'd you to see if we can share more data about these early GTs.

Anthony

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:13 pm 

Another call for data on earlyi’sh 1275 GTs …

Since starting this topic I have managed to compile data, admittedly very incomplete, regarding 27 GTs:

- Registered between March 1970 and June 1973
- Chassis Nos from XAD2-002962A to XAS2-725878A
- Commission Nos from S20D-2103 to S20D-12913A
- Body Nos from D20D 002309L to D20D 014392L
- Front-end Nos. from FE 023206 to FE 079928

I would really like to add data from many more GTs, especially from cars registered close to June 1972. Is there anyone out there who would be prepared to contribute?

The purpose of my ‘research' remains as stated at the start of this topic, and entirely personal. However I do intend to give a copy of the data, having hidden Registration Nos. to protect anonymity, to all those who contribute, and to Tim Harber of MiniMail (to add to his data set for the benefit of anyone requiring a replacement Commission No. plate etc).

Hope you can help … or know of someone who can. Thanks in advance.

Anthony

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:23 pm 

Drumboogie, sorry to be the bearer of bad news in this regard but there's already been a fair bit of research and hair pulling out over chassis number v commission number v FE numbers v engine numbers and.......... enigma. In real life, so far as I can recall, it's got absolutely nowhere! Well....., nowhere realistically at any rate because only(?) and quite rightly, the chassis number and engine number are recorded for legal purposes. And while there are large or small gaps and absolutely no continuity, rhyme nor reason why between engine numbers v chassis numbers or commission v engine numbers (or any permutation you can think of) there's really no way that commission number relative to or against any other number can be anything but a VERY rough guess. It's not like an Omega wristwatch where the MOVEMENT number is recorded against a movement TYPE, say 30T2 against a case serial number - Y12345. Nope. I think that the technical phrase most used in Engineering labs and workshops is, er............ Have you heard the phrase '...urinating into the wind?

Just my view of course

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:43 pm 

Peter,

You're probably right about the ultimate futility of my 'research'. However, in my defence, actually I have found a pretty good correlation between Chassis No. and Commission. No. in the small dataset I've so far compiled.

I hope others will feel able to share data to prove either you, or hopefully, me correct!

Anthony

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:15 pm 

I think the commission numbers were used in chronological order as this is quoted as the change point for updated parts within the parts books issued during the 1970s.