mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:14 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:09 pm 

A member of TMF (The Mini Forum) had his Mini 35 hit and written off by a Ford Focus pulling out from a side turning into his path on a dual carriageway in Coventry. The Focus driver has since had his insurance voided due to not declaring Business use and now no one seems interested in compensating the innocent Mini driver. Apparently the Police are not interested either as the Focus was insured at the time of the accident. Interested to hear any thoughts or advice on what should happen in this situation?
The full story:-
http://www.theminiforum.co.uk/forums/to ... ni-gutted/

Last edited by mab01uk on Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:11 am 

mab01uk wrote:
A member of TMF (The Mini Forum) had his Mini 35 hit and written off by a Ford Focus pulling out from a side turning into his path on a dual carriageway in Coventry The Focus driver has since had his insurance voided due to not declaring Business use and now no one seems interested in compensating the innocent Mini driver. Apparently the Police are not interested either as the Focus was insured at the time of the accident. Interested to hear any thoughts or advice on what should happen in this situation?
The full story:-
http://www.theminiforum.co.uk/forums/to ... ni-gutted/

If the insurance was valid at the time of the accident then his insurance is liable his own insurance co should pursue the Cain on hi behalf I know mine would as they have in the past on my behalf

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:30 am 

The Insurance companies CANNOT shed their 3rd party liabilities and obligations

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:41 am 

Regrettably, the poor Mini owner will have to sue the Ford driver in a civil court. If the Mini owner has Comprehensive Insurance on hos Mini, then the Insurance Company will usually do this on his behalf.

None of the authorities will be remotely interested.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:42 am 
Site Admin

As above, if his insurance was voided AFTER the accident it would imply it was valid at the time of the accident. The 3rd parties insurance company have a liability in this matter. Would be interesting to know what steve1071 thinks.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:13 am 

What is the name of this avoid any claim Crap Insurance Company so we can avoid any business with them.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:25 am 
Site Admin

Having read through the whole TMF post, I would love to know who his insurance company / broker is, because it appears that neither of them are doing their job.

Having said that I can't really see the benefit of posting every twist & turn of what on the face of it is a simple insurance claim on the internet either.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:56 am 

First stop would be The Motor Insurers’ Bureau (MIB), The deal with claims for accidents involving uninsured drivers.

https://www.mib.org.uk/making-a-claim/

It does amaze me that people do not know that this body exists as it has been around since 1946.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:16 am 

surfblue63 wrote:
First stop would be The Motor Insurers’ Bureau (MIB), The deal with claims for accidents involving uninsured drivers.

https://www.mib.org.uk/making-a-claim/

It does amaze me that people do not know that this body exists as it has been around since 1946.

I'm the owner of the mini 35 in this ordeal and I appreciate all the advice given.
Unfortunately the MIB cannot help me with this matter as it states in there guide to making a claim form below.

Accidents involving damage to your vehicle on or after 1 August 2015
If you have comprehensive insurance for your vehicle
We cannot deal with your vehicle damage claim. You should make a claim for repair with your own
insurer.

If you do not have comprehensive insurance for your vehicle
We may be able to assist you. Please complete the claim form.

My insurance are basically forcing me to claim from my own fully comp policy as the third party at fault had his policy voided back to the inception date 01/09/18. He was insured at the time of the collision but the third party are refusing to pay because of the void which was clearly void after the collision. The third party insurer sent a assessor out and was given a full report of damage to my mini then suddenly the third party's policy was void.

Surely the road traffic act section S151 and section 141 cover me and the third party insurer have to pay out.

Everything stated here about the above traffic acts.
http://www.adduce-services.co.uk/tl_fil ... rticle.pdf

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:34 am 

Well that's just daft. No wonder so many people don't bother telling their insurers the truth. If it avoids claims being made against them and the police not bothering to chase it up then why would they bother.

Oh well it looks like you will be covered by your own insurance, but no doubt you will loose some NCB or have a loading come your next renewal.