Holiday from Hell , NO

General Chat with an emphasis on BMC Minis & Other iconic cars of the 1960's. Includes information on MK1 Action days.
goff

Holiday from Hell , NO

Post by goff »

Ok some of you know we are in Australia , been here since the 6 March , we had this booked months ago for our 50th wedding anniversary , we started the road trip from Melbourne in a camper van and was going to finish it on the 20 April in brisbane , well you could not make this up , the last few days have very difficult and trying times for both of us BUT we have met some wonderful and caring people on this journey especially since this all this happened , ok we had the camper van robbed on Sunday morning in Port Augusta they took our UK passports , our credit cards , my mobile phone , our driving licences and all our money , we were left in port Augusta with $15 !!!! , we are now in Melbourne and have been to the embassy for our emergency passports , things are looking better , janet's sister has manage tobook two flights home on 6 April , we were also going
to meet Spider who is on this forum who lives the
suburbs Sydney, ok as i said in this world there is
wonderful caring people and if it was not for those people
helping or offering to help I don't know what we would
have done , Australia Is a wonderful place with caring
people , obviously this Virus as not helped , so it not the Holiday from hell ,if it was not for this happening we would not have met these wonderful people that are now friends for life

AndyPen

Re: Holiday from Hell , NO

Post by AndyPen »

My gosh, full marks for resilience and determination!!

Hope all will go well now ;-)

mk1
Site Admin

Post by mk1 »

Hi Goff,

So sorry to hear that everything went down hill so fast. It all sounded so wonderful!

Glad you are now sorted though. It's only at trying times like this that you realise just how bloody great most people are!

Hope you get back OK.
Mark F
Forum founder, backer & only admin for nearly 20 years.
I Must be f*&%^g mad

Exminiman

Post by Exminiman »

Glad to hear all ok, great example in how “ glass half full” attitude turns a holiday with few issues into an Adventure with some new life long friends. :D :D

rpb203

Post by rpb203 »

Blimey Goff,
That’s certainly been something to write down in the diary.
But most importantly you are both ok.
Hope the remaining time there isn’t quite so eventful and a safe journey home.
Catch up soon I hope.
Cheers
Gary

Spider

Post by Spider »

Mate, I'm glad at this point in time that you and your good wife are OK. I was really worried earlier in the week when it all went south and unraveled in a big way.

I'm deeply embarrassed what happened to you guys in Pt Augusta - not a great place, but how were you guys to know ? I can assure you that not all Australia is like that joint !

As you said, you couldn't make this up - you really picked the time to come !!

I know that for the time being, you're stranded - pity that's in Mexico :lol: :lol:

Lovely to chat the other evening but looking forward to it face to face next time.

I'm glad that in the few weeks you guys had, before everything turned to shit, that you did enjoy it. Maybe next tie in the cooler months - there's less flies :D

In the mean time, you're still stranded here for a couple of weeks, if there's anything you need, you know how to find me - just don't tell the wife !!

IAIN

Post by IAIN »

What a time your having ! ..... I'm glad your both ok. You had better book your supermarket delivery now !!! :roll: :)

goff

Post by goff »

I'll tell you more that happened , me and Janet went the toilet that was about 25 yards from our camper van in the early hours of the morning , put the outside light on , around 3am and never locked the camper door , only gone a couple of minutes , came back jumped back in bed , we were up 7 am and I could not find my phone , we brought a spare phone that i had put a OZ sim card in , spare UK sim in my wallet and askedJanet for my wallet , i had given it to Janet Saturday night to put in her hand bag , i said i will put the UK sim in the spare phone and phone my mobile , Janet said my hand bag is missing !!!! Then we new we had been robbed , ok reported it to the camp site and the maintance manger came down and there had been disturbance and some one had phoned the police around 2am , obvious they were still around and must seen us when we went to the toilet , wrong place wrong time , police came and took all the details and I think they new who had done it, we found out Port Augusta as a very high crime rate , my old phone and Janet ipad were covered up on a seat , contacted janet

goff

Post by goff »

Continue from previous
Contacted Janet sister and she said she would send some money through Western union , ok we wait for monday morning go to the post office , have you got any ID with a photo on , another kick in the teeth , so we to police station to see if they could be more helpful , they said they could not do anything but go to the library and ask to use there phones and internet , this when when we found out how wonderful peopke can be , three ladies in the library and we was telling them what had happened to us , they come in to a room that is private , a customer overheard our conversation and sent $10 to us to by a coffee , then while trying to get through to the embassy they had a wipp round and gave us 50 $ , we said NO but they insisted , ok we are desperate at this point and I ask the manager if the Western union money could be sent to her and would she sign for it , YES was the answer , so Janet sister cancelled the first transfers and made new one in the manager name ect , then they helped us fill in the forms for the emergency passports , ok th

goff

Post by goff »

Ok they cost £100 each and the manager said she would pay on her card , how trusting is that ! , so I say take it out of the money you are going to get from the post office , the lady comes back from the oost office with the money and I say to her and Janet go were it is private and give this lady $400 ,
the lady says NO pay me back when you get home , we were overwhelmed and felt so humble that people can be so wonderful and loving , ok forgot to say we have our own funds but the wankin bank HSBC were NOT helpful in anyway whatsoever , janet was on the phone for over an hour trying to get credit cards posted to Australia , NO was the answer and then the women said after ab hiur do you still want the cards cancelled !!!! Unbelievable , more later , thanks for the nice comments , Goff