mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:44 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Original or practical?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:36 pm 

Hello everyone, this is my first post here so try to be patient please :)

I am restoring a 1967 mk1, first registration in february and at this point i am almost stuck. Cannot decide to continue towards getting the car 100% original with original engine , hydrolastic etc or get the car to look original but get it more practical and comfortable with let set dry suspension, bigger engine, power breaks.....
At this stage i know some parts are hard to come by... But on the other hand i want to enjoy the car, in local events and stuff

My main question is: will parts determine the price of the car? Will it be ruined if equipped with non standard componnets ?

What s your opinion?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:56 pm 

In the fist place you should have fun with the car. Otherwise it will remain in the garage unused. If you have fun with original, its fine. If you have fun with modified or practical, its also fine.

Regarding value, its a matter of how far you go with your modifications. A good way is always to keep the modifications reversable. Store the original parts and you can change back whenever you want to.

So long
the Doc

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:13 pm 

But would you suggest hydolastic or dry suspension? I have most of the parts but still very undecided what to do!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:24 pm 

Personally if its a toy you just want to enjoy driving with a near standard appearance I would put together a nice 1098 engine on a 4 syncro box with a few period bits like twin 1 1/2 carbs , freeflow manifold etc , set std S brakes . the 1098 will have decent torque and make your mini go really well with no fuss . suspension is a personal choice and I would in your case go with dry BUT keep all the hydro bits to convert back should you ever feel the need to revert to std .
G

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:29 pm 

If you want the car 100% original and have all the parts I would suggest Hydro, if you don't have all the parts or they are not in very good condition, I would go to dry, less troublesome in the long run. If you don't have all the original parts on the car, I wouldn't bother, as by the time you collect all the correct dated parts you would have spent more than the value of the car and probably will have taken ages. that's my opinion.

Cheers Cpr1

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:36 pm 

I agree with what you are saying and would like to put in a nice engine, but would this affect the value of the car? I am not planning to sellthe car after all the work I ve done in it but, no one knows what will happen.

I can keep original parts stored and this might help but I do not want to ruin the whole thing now

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:54 pm 

I would keep the wet suspension on the car, if feasible
and keep the original engine in storage
And do some enjoyable mods on the car including changing engine to something with a little more power

Period mods would help the value
Changing from the standard imo will affect the value but as long as sympathetic and in keeping with the cars age maybe not that much.

As long as you keep the original engine you can always change it back when you have had your fun

http://www.dunsdalecoachworks.com

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:24 pm 

I have a very original 1965 850. I long for a Mk1 S and do have the odd evil thought to uprate my 850. But an original 850 is a real think of beauty and a pleasure to drive, so dont think you would be disappointed by it. Yeah a little more power and better brakes would be nice but it sort of becomes something else.

I personally think its down to the car itself. If you have most of the original parts and interior then it lends itself to remaining original. If You have to source a motor then an upgrade makes more sense, i guess i'm saying it just feels wrong to mess with it the more original it is and more likely you would regret changing it.

I recently had a leak on the Hydro and thought thats it im going over to dry but now its fixed ill keep it wet as long as i can.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:31 pm 

I'll do my best sitting on the fence bit and say that I generally agree with everyone. It's your car after all. But I'm of the opinion that if you change from hydro to dry, then that's it! It's dry. The notion that you're going to change back to hydro is not a goer unless you have another large garage/facility to keep everything and the facility to maintain those hydro bits afterwards for x years too. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. But if it is, then fix it for good.

They always look good original with well thought out period extras such as Dunlops and a moto-lita as has been discussed here recently (and I hope Andy keeps the thread going.... where are you Andy?) but avoid the worthless/useless tat such as front spoilers and rear wings at all costs. Annanuvver fing to avoid is wheel spats or arches because to revert back to normal is another expensive job.......... Well, it's not expensive of you're rich of course!

There was always a thing in MGB and GT circles about tuning the engine (or putting a bigger engine in) to give a bit more ooooomph or for '...track days...'. To achieve what? Who are you going to show the extra whoooomph too. A modern Polo will see it off any day. I'd say that the very first thing you ought to do with the car before you even consider anything else is that as soon as the shell is finished, spend £75 on 20 tins of Supertrol 001 and some long straws and absolutely flood every dark hidey hole, nook and cranny, seam, joint hollow cavity and sills until it's properly sealed. Other products are available but they ain't been tested taking trucks and armour by deck cargo down the Atlantic.