mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:22 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8438 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 784, 785, 786, 787, 788, 789, 790 ... 844  Next
PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:15 pm 

Costafortune wrote:
Pete wrote:
Vintage to Classic wrote:
Has anybody else noticed how the asking prices of most classic cars seem to be beyond the reach of most average people?

Not neccesarily. I got offered an MG Metro Turbo this week for £3500!

That's about £3000 more than it's worth. They were junk. We had one in 1986, 18 months old and already in trouble - a prime example of why BL went down the pan.

Anything worth having is now a lot of money and like a car running low on fuel, the market is running low on decent cars and all the old shit is being sucked up. As Mark alludes, this old shit may just stall the engine so to speak.

The other point is that there are more crooks in the classic car business than in any other section of the motor trade. These guys wear suits and 'talk posh'. This is a thin veneer of respectability designed to fool the gullible and they'll have your pants down the very second they can. I've met quite a few of them, sharks in Barbour jackets.

Agree on the crooks, a classic dealer tried to sell me a Unipower last year that techically belonged to one of his customers! :lol: I've heard a few stories about shark dealers, especially one in Sussex but then there's plenty of crook 'traders' in the Minis scene and nobody seems to be arsed about them.

As for MG Metros being junk, John Cooper thought they were a good car, Longman also, in fact he very nearly won the British Saloon Car Championship in in 1982 with Steve Soper in 3rd in another Metro. Not bad for junk! One just sold for about £8K with more mileage on it than the one I was offered! As for mechanical failures, I've had two 1275 Ss in the past that both had new engines under warranty!

Each to their own but the point I was trying to make is that my generation and younger grew up with 1275GTs. MG Metros and other hot hatches which are their affordable classic car, and if you find that £500 low miler time warp Turbo please give me first refusal!! :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:54 pm 

I find it interesting that the same cars seem to stick on eBay week after week, either in the form of a classified ad where the price never drops or cars where the owners expectation, in the form of reserve price is not met, moreso over £20k.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:20 am 

Yes, I know a good number of such cases! Cars which have been advertised for many months over and over again at the same high price. I wonder when the sellers will realise that they are simply asking a TOO much? I suppose some of these dealers can afford to tie the money up and would rather simply sit on stock believing that the cars will sell one day? I think there are now many "classic car dealers" who have come into the business in recent years with little knowledge and the belief that any "classic car" will simply go up in value all the time - quite unlike modern stock of course. Many of them know nothing at all about their stock and have never even driven the cars - just had them delivered from an auction, polished the (often perished!) tyres a bit and parked them in a "showroom" having added several thousand pounds mark-up.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:00 am 

It's reverse psychology.... Ask 85k and someone will offer 40k thinking he's being cheeky..... When all along 30 would buy it :?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:00 am 

One hell of a lot of car salvage repairers have entered into the classic car world due to the salvage car market hittting rock bottom . All the good salvage yards in Essex have gone . Controlled by the insurance company's who realized after many years that if a salvage car is sold , then a a car will get nicked down the road so as to supply the repair parts . All my mates who have survived in the car trade are now putting there money into classic cars . There's still a generation of people who want the same car that there dad had years ago ! ... It's there money that has boosted up the classic car game to a extent . Also remember a classic car is just wages to some people ... . I still think that as long as interest rates are low the classic cars will be ok ... ken

70 1275 GT
246 Ferrari Dino ...........sold
997 Porsche turbo
MPI modified
Transit van
Minisprint Trickett

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:29 am 

Pete wrote:

As for MG Metros being junk, John Cooper thought they were a good car, Longman also, in fact he very nearly won the British Saloon Car Championship in in 1982 with Steve Soper in 3rd in another Metro. Not bad for junk! One just sold for about £8K with more mileage on it than the one I was offered! As for mechanical failures, I've had two 1275 Ss in the past that both had new engines under warranty!

Each to their own but the point I was trying to make is that my generation and younger grew up with 1275GTs. MG Metros and other hot hatches which are their affordable classic car, and if you find that £500 low miler time warp Turbo please give me first refusal!! :lol:

The cars they competed against - the quicker Fiestas, 205's, Renault 5GT etc have already rocketed and left these whimpering pups far behind. The MG was alrightish but the Turbo was a dog.

One that was perfect and low mileage for buttons? It seems everyone knows the value of everything now! I wouldn't give it house room but.......

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:34 am 

swifty wrote:
One hell of a lot of car salvage repairers have entered into the classic car world due to the salvage car market hittting rock bottom . All the good salvage yards in Essex have gone . Controlled by the insurance company's who realized after many years that if a salvage car is sold , then a a car will get nicked down the road so as to supply the repair parts .

It's not that that's killed the car salvage business, it's Copart. They got this all zipped up tighter than a Gnat's chuff. That and the fact that the pound isn't worth a carrot means a huge percentage of stuff is going to Europe now - this has pretty much stuffed it for everyone here. Big breakers are now unable to buy salvage to sell or break - stuff is making almost retail money.

This is where cars now start going missing, chopped up and stored in containers until the heat is off.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:57 am 

Costafortune wrote:
The cars they competed against - the quicker Fiestas, 205's, Renault 5GT etc have already rocketed and left these whimpering pups far behind. The MG was alrightish but the Turbo was a dog.

One that was perfect and low mileage for buttons? It seems everyone knows the value of everything now! I wouldn't give it house room but.......

I remember when we used to break 10” wheeled 1275GT’s because they were only good for discs and an engine. They seem to have turned around quite nicely.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:15 pm 

Costafortune wrote:
Pete wrote:

"The MG was alrightish but the turbo was dog" , was it a Greyhound or dachshund :lol: :lol: :lol: and
Longman very NEARLY won :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:54 pm 

goff wrote:

Longman very NEARLY won :lol: :lol: :lol:

The Cooper S only managed it once, and that was a crossflow 970 with little competion in it's class. Longman's runner up spot in the Metro in 1982 was some achievement but evidently I'm in a minority with my junk appreciation!

*waiving a white flag*

:lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8438 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 784, 785, 786, 787, 788, 789, 790 ... 844  Next