mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:43 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8973 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 783, 784, 785, 786, 787, 788, 789 ... 898  Next
PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:22 pm 

Peter Laidler wrote:
Exactly what colour is the sort-of white Cooper with blue trim? Says pale green but it doesn't look like...., well....., anything I'm familiar with!

I had assumed Fiesta Yellow but I may be wrong.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:03 pm 

Old English White wrote:
Peter Laidler wrote:
Exactly what colour is the sort-of white Cooper with blue trim? Says pale green but it doesn't look like...., well....., anything I'm familiar with!

I had assumed Fiesta Yellow but I may be wrong.

It is Fiesta Yellow Peter and Richard :)

I think it was Sandy Beige originally but John decided to repaint it Fiesta Yellow after seeing my car - so guess I'm to blame for him painting it the wrong colour :? :lol:

Fiesta Yellow has to be the worst colour ever to photograph and get the true colour to show on the image.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:48 pm 

Has anybody else noticed how the asking prices of most classic cars seem to be beyond the reach of most average people?
I mean, who would pay the £85k for the red “S”?
I could apply this to other classics I am involved with too.

The only truly steady market seems to be the more mundane 1920s stuff, rock solid market, never goes up or down.

Last time this happened (classic not vintage) was the early nineties, like now prices were high and the TV was full of classic car programme this and that about how much money people could make tarting up classics.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:31 am 

steve1071 wrote:
Looks like an honest car, despite a few issues under the bonnet

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1967-Mk1-Mor ... Sw~YRahH31

Looks like a dry car

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:05 am 

Vintage to Classic wrote:
Has anybody else noticed how the asking prices of most classic cars seem to be beyond the reach of most average people?
I mean, who would pay the £85k for the red “S”?
I could apply this to other classics I am involved with too.

The only truly steady market seems to be the more mundane 1920s stuff, rock solid market, never goes up or down.

Last time this happened (classic not vintage) was the early nineties, like now prices were high and the TV was full of classic car programme this and that about how much money people could make tarting up classics.

I completely agree, and I'm not sure how much stock is actually selling? I've been looking for a classic sports car since last summer and have followed the classifieds, usual internet ads and been to a couple of classic auctions. Several cars which were bought by one dealer at an auction I went to in October, are still in his showroom months later with biggish mark-ups on his purchase prices which I thought were already fairly high. He doesn't seem interested in dropping his prices much because the cars are "better than money in the bank"...... The trouble is that private sellers see these very high prices and advertise their cars for not much less because "that's what they're selling for" even though the vast majority are not actually selling at all. Desirable cars at the right price will sell but it seems to me that many of the over-priced ones are for sale for a long time.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:13 am 

Guywilko wrote:
steve1071 wrote:
Looks like an honest car, despite a few issues under the bonnet

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1967-Mk1-Mor ... Sw~YRahH31

Looks like a dry car

Yep, as someone pointed out no interior light switches. Not a very honest car then!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:15 am 
Site Admin

I have been banging on for a couple of years now that prices need a shake up. While asking prices seem to be going up & up from what you can glean actual sale prices when a sale actually happens are considerably lower.

The inflation over the last few years has been driven predominantly by speculators, "investors" & other assorted idiots who don't have a clue what they are looking at.

I am certain that prices will take a huge "realignment" in the not too distant future where truly special & interesting cars will hold their price or drop only marginally but a tremendous amount of dross in the mid & lower end of the market will drop to a fraction of their current prices.

Anyone who buys a classic car as an investment is a COCK & deserves everything they get. Yes, classic cars have increased in price massively over the last few years but anyone who thinks it will go on for ever is a FOOL.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tulip_mania

I know I'm putting 2 Wiki links in one post, but for anyone genuinely interested in this phenomenon then there is an excellent article here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economic_bubble

M

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:31 pm 

Not neccesarily. I got offered an MG Metro Turbo this week for £3500! 40.00 miles on the clock! (didn't buy it though) There's tons of fun to be had with cheap classics out there if people want one for a fraction of the cost of their £20K road car they're driving around in or for less than the cost of their two or three family holidays people seem to have nowadays. Depends what your priorities are! One thing's for certain and that's Mini Coopers were (just about!) affordable for people like me in the 80s and 90s because they were so plentiful and now there's a vibrant classic car scene (the classic car scene was barely on it's feet in the 80s) the idea of comparing prices now to back then is probably as useful as comparing house prices. Yes some greedy people ask silly prices, that's always been the case, and yes certain cars have rocketed due to over demand and under supply but classic cars for the younger generation are definately there to be had. You can still pick up some great classic Minis for barely more than I paid for my first S thirty years ago and at a fraction of the price of current restoration costs! In fact you can buy a complete restored Mk1 Mini today for probably the same if not less (if you're lucky) than the price of a bare Heritage shell! Certainly for less than it would cost to restore one!

I think we should be thankful there's so much interest in our little Minis, not sure what parts availability would have been like now if there wasn't!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:04 pm 

Pete wrote:

Not neccesarily. I got offered an MG Metro Turbo this week for £3500!

That's about £3000 more than it's worth. They were junk. We had one in 1986, 18 months old and already in trouble - a prime example of why BL went down the pan.

Anything worth having is now a lot of money and like a car running low on fuel, the market is running low on decent cars and all the old shit is being sucked up. As Mark alludes, this old shit may just stall the engine so to speak.

The other point is that there are more crooks in the classic car business than in any other section of the motor trade. These guys wear suits and 'talk posh'. This is a thin veneer of respectability designed to fool the gullible and they'll have your pants down the very second they can. I've met quite a few of them, sharks in Barbour jackets.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:36 pm 

wasn't this at Blyton a year or two ago? thought i remember seeing photos of it there.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MINI-COOPER-GENUINE-1960s-RALLY-CAR-inc-RAC-WELSH-INTERNATIONAL-GULF-LONDON-/273070571740

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8973 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 783, 784, 785, 786, 787, 788, 789 ... 898  Next