WTH??!?! Have you seen this item on ebay.

General Chat with an emphasis on BMC Minis & Other iconic cars of the 1960's. Includes information on MK1 Action days.
'S'-type
Posts: 223
Joined: Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:59 pm
Location: Buckinghamshire

Re: WTH??!?! Have you seen this item on ebay.

Post by 'S'-type »

Supersonic wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:04 pm
Minisprinter wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:50 pm
swifty wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:14 pm Yes it's called a "scrap yard" .... ken
Harsh but fair

MS
I’m not big into BMC / British Leyland knocking and I will tell you why. When I was young we ran a car breakers yard and British cars were no more prone to rust than other European and Japanese cars.

I recall so well a 5 year old Renault Dauphine and a Morris 1100 the same age rotten and being broken up. Beside them was a Rover 90 10 years old and it was mint condition. How cars were looked after is how they survive after long years.

Let’s not fool ourselves, the Mini was a rust bucket and as bad as the Austin / Morris 1100 / 1300 let me make this fact very apparent, if you don’t appreciate this fact, you never worked on them back in the day. I will go further, the later BLMC Leyland cars were not as prone to tin worm ;) ;)

Alan
It's amazing looking back, how short the lives of many minis were back in the 60s. No wonder when you think about the lack of protection they got from the factory and the fact that most people weren't very fastidious when it came to doing their own underbody treatment. Bit like today's generation of finance deal new car purchasers. Add to that winters like 1963, and they didn't stand a chance. Back then the words ,' your subframe's gone' meant not economically repairable. They were three high in the scrappies.
I'm not sure the 90s minis were any better protected and lack of paint in places was shocking . The thickness of the steel was also thinner by then.
Hence the high attrition rate of 90s shells. People hadn't really learnt by then.
Products had been around for years, but most people couldn' t be arsed to do it.
Supersonic
Posts: 1979
Joined: Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:25 pm
Location: Crossgar County Down Northern Ireland

Re: WTH??!?! Have you seen this item on ebay.

Post by Supersonic »

More nonesence, need to get away from the Mini crap :(

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1288223
and.rs1800
Posts: 48
Joined: Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:45 pm
Location: Herts

Re: WTH??!?! Have you seen this item on ebay.

Post by and.rs1800 »

Supersonic wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:14 pm More nonesence, need to get away from the Mini crap :(

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1288223
Have I read that advert correctly?-it has a swifttune engine costing ten grand that produces 67.5bhp?
What am I missing here?
Fanfaniracing
Posts: 622
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:11 pm
Location: Fribourg CH

Re: WTH??!?! Have you seen this item on ebay.

Post by Fanfaniracing »

850 engine?
User avatar
coopertim
Posts: 1590
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:45 pm
Location: In the garage spending far more time and money than my wife agreed to! Lincolnshire UK
Contact:

Re: WTH??!?! Have you seen this item on ebay.

Post by coopertim »

That one started out a few years ago at £55k!

Tim
and.rs1800
Posts: 48
Joined: Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:45 pm
Location: Herts

Re: WTH??!?! Have you seen this item on ebay.

Post by and.rs1800 »

Fanfaniracing wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:52 pm 850 engine?
Much to my embarrassment I overlooked the fact that it is an 850.
Bloody hell though-I’d rather spend my ten grand on a bigger engine...
Fanfaniracing
Posts: 622
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:11 pm
Location: Fribourg CH

Re: WTH??!?! Have you seen this item on ebay.

Post by Fanfaniracing »

and.rs1800 wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:55 pm
Fanfaniracing wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:52 pm 850 engine?
Much to my embarrassment I overlooked the fact that it is an 850.
Bloody hell though-I’d rather spend my ten grand on a bigger engine...
It doesn't matter what Engine you rebuild, machining cost are always the same.

It would be interesting if in this 10'000£ there's also the gearbox rebuild and parts including.

My old master always told customers that a performance engine will always cost at this amount...
Supersonic
Posts: 1979
Joined: Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:25 pm
Location: Crossgar County Down Northern Ireland

Re: WTH??!?! Have you seen this item on ebay.

Post by Supersonic »

£35.95K for an 850cc Mini :?: Remove the £10k unit and you have a very expensive Mini Mk1 rolling shell is how I see it. And would anyone ever give you £10k for that small unit is another problem :)

Alan
User avatar
Exminiman
Posts: 983
Joined: Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:59 am
Location: Berkshire UK

Re: WTH??!?! Have you seen this item on ebay.

Post by Exminiman »

As well all know only too well, price is what someone is willing to pay, how much you were silly enough to spend on it, really has no bearing :lol:

This comes across as a vanity project, or a present, paid for by some one with enough money not to worry about the re sale value.....

That 10k engine is surely now just worth the sum total of the serviceable bits - its a race engine that has been raced.....and in the end an 850, not an S engine.

I would of thought £15k - £20k max as a private sale
User avatar
Costafortune
Posts: 1121
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:26 am
Location: Sheffield On Thames

Re: WTH??!?! Have you seen this item on ebay.

Post by Costafortune »

Supersonic wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:25 pm
Polarsilver wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:09 pm Marina was the worst car that i have ever experienced .. be that when i was working in Pressed Steel Cowley Body in White Factory ..or in later years when given Marina Estates as my Company car .. what a horrible creation whatever generation the Marina was.. yes only fit for Scrap in my opinion & that was when they were new. :roll:
Norman, I'm an ADO16 fan so appreciate what you say. How was the Marina an upgrade to the fantastic 1100 / 1300? In fact the Austin Allegro was a much better car than the Marina :D

Alan
Look at cars like the first Honda Accord (1977) and Leyland stuff was just toss in comparison. The Acclaim was the first good car BL built for a very long time. I did part of my apprenticeship at a BL dealer in 1985 when all the 1 year old Montegos were being rebuilt under warranty. Absolute shit. :lol:
Post Reply