WTH??!?! Have you seen this item on ebay.

General Chat with an emphasis on BMC Minis & Other iconic cars of the 1960's. Includes information on MK1 Action days.
IanD1965

Re: WTH??!?! Have you seen this item on ebay.

Post by IanD1965 »

Is there a collective name for eight Morris marina cars?
swifty

Post by swifty »

Yes it's called a "scrap yard" .... ken
1963 austin Cooper s mk1 1071
1966 Austin Cooper s mk1 1275
1968 Austin Cooper mk2 998
1962 Morris mini super 850
Porsche 997 turbo S
Ford transit van 280s
Exminiman

Post by Exminiman »

swifty wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:14 pm Yes it's called a "scrap yard" .... ken
Thought it was only me hoping that Clarkson would fget involved :lol:
abs

Post by abs »

and.rs1800

Post by and.rs1800 »

miniminor wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 6:26 pm Has about 40 Marinas :o

Wow hes got the bug bad, Id quite like one, but 40!
Are you mad lol
My parents were massive mini users-ill make you all cry now with stories of £15 mini vans(seriously) and loads of other cheap as chips mk1’and 2’s-and they had some seriously nice cars when I was a child-1600E cortina almost brand new,several Jaguar xj6’s,and later on some nice fast fords .they also had a poxy marina-terrible car.terrible.they actually swapped that piece of shit for an Austin princess-that was worse!!words fail me -hahahahaha .the only blots on their automotive landscape.
My god thise two abominations were the last they ever bought that were BL (other than minis obviously)
miniminor

Post by miniminor »

We had exclusively BMC / BL cars as I was growing up which in no small way introduced me to Minis.
Minor, Mini, couple of Marinas, Ambassador, SD1 Rover, then dad went down the diesel route and had a selection of European motors VW, Peugeot, Renault, Audi and his current Skodas.
Many happy childhood memories in the Marinas, apart from my dads, my Nanny had a fleet of them, she bought a new one every 2 years through most of the 70s, last one being an Ital in 1980 before she too went down the Renault route.
If I came across the right Marina I'd snap it up.
"Get the wheels in line, Get the wheels in line with it! ..... and then slam your brakes on or we'll be in the cabin ! "

1963 Morris Mini Minor Superdeluxe
2014 Freelander 2 SD4
Minisprinter

Post by Minisprinter »

Harsh but fair

MS
Supersonic

Post by Supersonic »

Minisprinter wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:50 pm
Harsh but fair

MS
I’m not big into BMC / British Leyland knocking and I will tell you why. When I was young we ran a car breakers yard and British cars were no more prone to rust than other European and Japanese cars.

I recall so well a 5 year old Renault Dauphine and a Morris 1100 the same age rotten and being broken up. Beside them was a Rover 90 10 years old and it was mint condition. How cars were looked after is how they survive after long years.

Let’s not fool ourselves, the Mini was a rust bucket and as bad as the Austin / Morris 1100 / 1300 let me make this fact very apparent, if you don’t appreciate this fact, you never worked on them back in the day. I will go further, the later BLMC Leyland cars were not as prone to tin worm ;) ;)

Alan
Polarsilver

Post by Polarsilver »

Marina was the worst car that i have ever experienced .. be that when i was working in Pressed Steel Cowley Body in White Factory ..or in later years when given Marina Estates as my Company car .. what a horrible creation whatever generation the Marina was.. yes only fit for Scrap in my opinion & that was when they were new. :roll:
Supersonic

Post by Supersonic »

Polarsilver wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:09 pm Marina was the worst car that i have ever experienced .. be that when i was working in Pressed Steel Cowley Body in White Factory ..or in later years when given Marina Estates as my Company car .. what a horrible creation whatever generation the Marina was.. yes only fit for Scrap in my opinion & that was when they were new. :roll:
Norman, I'm an ADO16 fan so appreciate what you say. How was the Marina an upgrade to the fantastic 1100 / 1300? In fact the Austin Allegro was a much better car than the Marina :D

Alan