WTH??!?! Have you seen this item on ebay.

General Chat with an emphasis on BMC Minis & Other iconic cars of the 1960's. Includes information on MK1 Action days.
Time Bandit

Re: WTH??!?! Have you seen this item on ebay.

Post by Time Bandit »

mk1 wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 4:15 pm
The ringing of Late production cars & sending them off to the States was at its height around the late 90's & early 2000's. The demand seemed to drop off once the new BMW Mini became available.

I used to spend a lot of time on the US based Minimania board back then & some people, one of which made an appearance on here recently, made a lot of money out of this scam. I assume that a lot of the cars that were rung & sent Stateside were stolen.

It was great when I saw that The US customs service had finally cottoned on, shame it was about 15 years too late.
It used to be a popular way of getting later Land Rovers into the US too, nice shiny Defender with Series Land Rover paperwork...the customs got wise to that ploy too.
Mike

Exminiman

Post by Exminiman »

Louis wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:30 pm
The sad thing is that has been relisted too as I saw it a month or so ago :shock:
For fooks sake, I do hope some idiot doesn't buy it, or them, as he has two :lol: :lol:

Old English White

Post by Old English White »

surfblue63 wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:04 am
colonel mustard wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:22 pm
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Classic-Aust ... SwgAFfGdoG

Strange door inners!
Aussie Doors?
They do look like Aussie doors. A strange one though because it doesn't look like an Aus shell.

Costafortune

Post by Costafortune »

colonel mustard wrote:

Strange door inners!
The spirit of Enid Blyton is alive and well.

What a load of bollocks. I've got kitchen utensils that are more Cooper S than that.

66Traveller

Post by 66Traveller »

Looks like an imported Australian shell - as well as the doors, the inside double skin of the bootl id has three holes in it and a different pressing. Would be interesting to see the numberplate recess on the other side.

roymck

Post by roymck »

Old English White wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:39 am
surfblue63 wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:04 am
colonel mustard wrote:

Strange door inners!
Aussie Doors?
They do look like Aussie doors. A strange one though because it doesn't look like an Aus shell.
Well whoever bought it can sell me the doors then!
8662 FN Austin Mini

I know its not original I like it this way

My wife says I don’t listen to her or something like that !

Old English White

Post by Old English White »

66Traveller wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:26 pm
Looks like an imported Australian shell - as well as the doors, the inside double skin of the bootl id has three holes in it and a different pressing. Would be interesting to see the numberplate recess on the other side.
I didn't think it looked like an Aus shell but perhaps you know more about them? I thought the Aus shells didn't have the drain cutouts in the roof guttering which this car seems to and instead had plain drilled holes. Also, didn't the Aus Mk2 still have a Mk1 style bonnet? As you say, it doesn't help that there are no photos of the rear...The Aus Mk2 still had the smaller rear lights didn't it? Also, IF the car was an Aus model, it wouldn't have a Heritage certificate. It seems a bit of a pickandmix to me.

66Traveller

Post by 66Traveller »

You are probably right. The ID might not of course relate to the shell!. The photos are carefully taken to provide as few clues as possible!

smithyrc30

Post by smithyrc30 »

66Traveller wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:26 pm
It is not an Aussie shell. The front panel has the two extra holes in it by the front wing joint, where the elusive red top hat bung goes on UK Mk2 onwards cars.

It has rain gutter pressings, Aussie cars never got those. There is also no spare wheel clamp on the boot floor, those disappeared in Aus with the Mini K and Clubman. If it was a Mini K it would have a different front screen surround with different wiper positions and a recessed form around the wiper spindle exits.

The bulkhead cross member is different to an Aussie car and the bulkhead panel has the UK wiring grommet hole by the wiper motor.

Difficult to see properly inside but anything later than 1964 Aussie car would have different inner roof cant rails with holes for the glued in headlining frames that did not get to the UK cars until the Mk3. They do not appear to be there in this shell.

The front subframe is definitely not Aussie, the Aussie frame on the radiator side has a rebound stop for the engine welded in by the brake fitting.

The boot lid looks to be a Mk3 with the holes in the inner skin being access for the number plate lamp.

Interesting for a Mk2 S, it has QH donut type driveshaft joints.

Definitely Aussie 64 to 76 wind up window doors though.

It does look like an over excited badger has had a go at the parcel shelf though.... :roll:

and.rs1800

Post by and.rs1800 »

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1965-MORRIS- ... SwsKFfHGgC

A “1071 S”- in a mk4 shell with no engine or box.
Ten grand!!