WTH??!?! Have you seen this item on ebay.

General Chat with an emphasis on BMC Minis & Other iconic cars of the 1960's. Includes information on MK1 Action days.
mk1
Site Admin

Re: WTH??!?! Have you seen this item on ebay.

Post by mk1 »

Similar age to Charlies, but not in quite as good condition & it doesn't run on wine :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mark F
Forum founder, backer & only admin for nearly 20 years.
I Must be f*&%^g mad

Supersonic

Post by Supersonic »

I simply don’t get it. Converting a petrol engine to run on wine (60% water?). I’m like the majority on this forum a car person. But what about early classic motorcycles, commercial and agricultural vehicles they all need to run on quality petrol. We are not on our own with this problem ;)

Alan

Exminiman

Post by Exminiman »

There may also be a commercial push towards Bioethanol, most is produced 8n the States...... ;)

Sounds lot easier than drilling holes all over the planet :D
What is Bioethanol
The principle fuel used as a petroleum substitute is bioethanol. Bioethanol is mainly produced by the sugar fermentation process, although it can also be produced by the chemical process of reacting ethylene with steam. The main source of sugar required to produce ethanol comes from fuel or energy crops. These fuel crops are normally grown specifically for energy use and include maize, corn and wheat crops, waste straw, willow, sawdust, reed canary grass, cord grasses, jerusalem artichoke, myscanthus and sorghum plants. There is also ongoing research and development into the use of municipal solid wastes to produce ethanol fuel.

Brazil and the United States account for over 70 percent of all ethanol production in the world today with the USA producing an estimated 6,500 Million gallons a year

Supersonic

Post by Supersonic »

This looks like a Mk5 Mini to me? I'm I seeing things?

Alan

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1202730

Nevsmini

Post by Nevsmini »

Pete wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:08 am
Well in some ways I’m glad they’ve levelled off Mark because values were going off the scale mainly due to lots of big wallets getting into the market but lots of Mini related businesses won’t relish the idea of a crash any more than most of us will. I’ve never seen values of Coopers decrease in all the time they’ve been in my life, the balloon may well have stopped going up thankfully, especially at the top end, but I can’t see it popping anytime soon. It might well start deflating eventually but I think that’ll be more to do with lack of interest from the upcoming generation than anything else.

That ‘64 Cooper was mine by the way, is one of the most original I’ve ever found , has a near mint interior, fantastic floors, a happy new owner who’s restoring it himself and it’s staying oop North! :D
Peter I didn’t know it was yours, more Cooper’s go through your place than a main dealer! :lol: Yes it looked a very nice and original project. Good to hear it went to a good home let hope it doesn’t reappear with an S on it, but if it does it would make more financial sense!

GRAHAMC

Post by GRAHAMC »

mk1 wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:39 pm
in the car given to him as a 21st birthday present.

Is that his Aston martin?

An Aston Martin that runs on wine. . . . .

Almost makes you want to man the barricades doesn't it!
Shouldn"t it be a Aston Martini then !!!

iain1967s

Post by iain1967s »

mk1 wrote:
An Aston Martin converted to run on E85, and then filled with E85 allegedly distilled from ‘surplus’ wine.

With all the energy in that end-to-end process, I doubt it’s very green or sustainable...

IslandBlue

Post by IslandBlue »

Supersonic wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 6:38 pm
This looks like a Mk5 Mini to me? I'm I seeing things?

Alan

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1202730
Well it is quite up front in the description that it has been reshelled into a Mk4 (?) Mayfair shell although there's not much left of the Mk1 is there? I'm not sure how the DVLA might view its tax exempt status either!

IslandBlue

Post by IslandBlue »

iain1967s wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:54 pm
mk1 wrote:
An Aston Martin converted to run on E85, and then filled with E85 allegedly distilled from ‘surplus’ wine.

With all the energy in that end-to-end process, I doubt it’s very green or sustainable...
Yes I think it's one of those things that appears green on the surface but you don't have to scratch too hard to find that it's more about lining somebody's pockets....
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2008/ ... rack-obama

mk1
Site Admin

Post by mk1 »

iain1967s wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:54 pm
mk1 wrote:

Yes I totally agree, it is all to do with making his Royal Highness feel wonderfully green & "special" the process he uses to make his winey petrol will undoubtedly consume more energy than it saves, but sadly that is what so many green initiatives are about. Nothing more than a superficial "greenwash".
Mark F
Forum founder, backer & only admin for nearly 20 years.
I Must be f*&%^g mad