mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:59 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:28 am 
Site Admin

Location: Oop North where it's dark & cold nearly all the time.
Very sad news seen on FB.

Press release from BMC Experience.

"Issue 22 of The BMC Experience magazine has been posted out to subscribers last Friday and is already starting to be received. It will be on-sale at newsagents in Australia by this Friday.

This is our final issue, as it is no longer viable to continue to publish the magazine. Falling subscription numbers, increasing costs, the theft of the magazine through pirate websites, the on-going difficulty with getting enough advertising and the continually appalling service but increasing costs of dealing with Australia Post, mean it has all just got too hard.

As detailed in the magazine, we will not be shafting our subscribers. All Australian subscribers who still have outstanding magazines will be refunded on a pro-rata basis of $10.50 per magazine outstanding (the full cost of of their subscription). All overseas subscriptions will be refunded accordingly as well.

However, these refunds will begin being paid in July and could take a few months to be completed - all will be paid by the end of the year. Please be patient, as we have over 800 subscribers who are due refunds, so it will take time, but you will get paid.

Thankyou to all the people and businesses who have supported the magazine over the years.

Special thanks to my wife Jayne and children Tony and Eilish for their undying support throughout all my efforts.

Please be assured, though, that the business will continue - our business name is Autofan Media - and we will continue to sell merchandise (books, DVDs, models, etc) related to the BMC-Leyland brands of cars through our website and at many car shows.

Depending on the level of interest, I am also looking at writing a series of books on the history of various BMC-Leyland brands of cars in Australia. More information is in the final issue of the magazine, and will be posted from time to time on this website.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:55 am 

Watto's done an amazing job of preserving the whole BMC legacy with both titles, sad news indeed! I wonder why an online option wasn't viable?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:04 am 

That is a great shame - it was SUCH an interesting read! There was never anything as good readily available in the UK covering "our" cars.
You could always tell that the magazine was put together by enthusiasts - there was SO much interesting content.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:52 am 

Pete wrote:
Watto's done an amazing job of preserving the whole BMC legacy with both titles, sad news indeed! I wonder why an online option wasn't viable?

Probably even easier to rip off than the printed magazine version which is one of the reasons for him pulling the plug.

Real shame to see it go. I have been helping him out for a wee while by posting out the NZ subscriptions as its was getting too hard and expensive sending them out individually from Australia through their postal service.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:05 am 

He has said that the digital version of the "Mini Experience Reloaded" will continue for the time being. These are a summary and revised version of the Mini Experience, and Mini content from BMC Experience. It's good on an iPad etc, as he has added extra higher resolution photos and you are able to zoom in!

https://pocketmags.com/au/the-mini-experience-magazine

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:08 am 

Its such a shame, as i really enjoyed reading about the BMC cars and the articles were really well written and interesting. More content than adverts which is unusual now a days.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:15 am 

Unfortunate this has gone . I just subscribed about a year ago and really enjoyed the content . but I guess its difficult to swim in a sea full of very well financed publishing 'sharks' .

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:55 am 

I was a subscriber for a long time when it was the Mini Experience. About the time I had to cut back on too many magazine subscriptions, Mini Experience was not to be dropped, but, at the same time it changed to BMC. Not as interested, so I dropped out. If I did still have a subscription I think I would let him keep the balance. Mini Experience was worth it.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:39 am 

As a long-time subscriber I am also sad to see the end of The BMC Experience.
I am a little surprised that this forum, mostly UK centred, has acknowledged this event while the Ausmini website (obvious location) has not yet managed to make any mention of it - at least in its 'Chat' section.

Ausmini has acknowledged and discussed the end of The BMC Experience in a section under that heading. I had not seen it when I made the above comments.
I am still surprised/pleased that so many UK and other residents were aware of TBE.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:56 pm 

Hi People.

Thanks for your positive comments.

Unfortunately, with declining sales, ever more difficulty in getting advertising, on-going problems with Australia Post and increasing costs, it just is no longer viable to continue the magazine.

The on-line version was being downloaded illegally from a number of pirate websites which was having a severe impact on our digital sales, so proved to be unviable as well. After all, why should we work our buts off and have people steal the magazine from these illegal sites, rather than pay a few sheckles to the publisher.

We will be continuing The Mini Experience Reloaded for the short term at least, as our costs are considerably less and it requires a lot less time to produce, but if it too suffers from the illegal pirating that was experienced with The BMC Experience on-line then we will be forced to pull the pin on it as well.

The Mini Experience Reloaded is not just a rehash of the old The Mini Experience magazines, but takes the best from The Mini Experience and The BMC Experience, updated and corrected as necessary, as well as some new material, and presents it in a format centred around certain themes. These have so far included: Birth of the Australian Mini; The Moke in Australia; Works Minis; Bathurst; Sporting Minis and Limited Edition Minis. Issue 7, which will be out in about 4 weeks, features the long-wheelbase Minis, particularly the Mini Van and Mini estates. Each issue also includes other interesting stories on Mini and Moke travels, Mini derivatives and other individual feature stories. There is currently no paid advertising in the magazine and it is around 80% editorial. We also include on average over 100 photographs not previously published in any of the printed magazines. All at a very affordable price.

If it receives support and is not subject to on-line theft, then it will continue.

Check it out here: https://pocketmags.com/au/the-mini-experience-magazine

Cheers,
Watto.