mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:16 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:01 pm 

mk1 wrote:
Personally I find all door mirrors pretty rubbish on Minis, I don't use any myself, & just turn around a lot. However, I thinkthe stadium type clip on mirror is best, its very original looking & you can actually see stuff out of it.

https://www.vintagecarparts.co.uk/parts_index/mirror Type 981 I think.

Yep, use one of those on driver's side, high up, gives just enough view.

1963 Morris Mini Minor Superdeluxe
2004 Discovery 2 Td5
2013 VW Tiguan 2.0 TDI 4 motion

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:41 pm 

Agree. I really think the stadium looks so great on the mini, and the it's correct for that time too..

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:07 pm 

dklawson wrote:
My car has reproduction Lucas, round, flat mirrors on the doors. While working on the doors (prior to painting) I tack welded nut bars on the inside of the door skins so I could use machine screws to attach the mirrors instead of using sheet metal screws. My mirrors don't vibrate "too much" and can be adjusted by sliding the front glass back. They may not be ideal but they don't look out of place and they work.

Nearly all the MK 1 Mini,s that were sold overhere had the round Lucas type.
The later MK 1,s had a cheaper (simelar looking) version.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:11 am 

I have a mark One Mini with left-hand-drive and always sit with my back toward the door so it's tough looking over my shoulder all the time. I've had some Fender mirrors and I overtaker type mirror and none of them seem to work well. So I've gone back to using a wink type mirror extends all the way across the passenger compartment with seven or so different mirrors in it. It takes awhile to get used to. I used to have one in my Honda Civic in the late 70s and the one thing I remember was looking in it and seeing a cop Airborne behind me. As I said it does take awhile to get used to.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:46 am 

I used to have the Raydot / Downton type mirror fitted through the window catch, but wasn't happy with what I couldn't see out of it unless I pressed my face up against the glass.
I tried the flatter type Lucas? copies now available and found that the rear view is far better, especially the critical blind spot area which is a bonus on duals and motorways.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:15 am 

They look very good.where did you get them ?
Thanks.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:53 pm 

Those window mounted mirrors look nice and I'm sure they would work well... as long as you don't slide the front glass back to open the window.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:20 pm 

seandoyle wrote:
They look very good.where did you get them ?
Thanks.

I had this one off a private ebay seller, but I've seen the same type sold by NK trading at Mini shows and other ebay sellers.
For right hand window fitting you need the left hand wing mirror and vise versa for the nearside window.
You do lose some rear vision with the window open, but these mirrors aren't as bad as the Torpedo type and have more adjustment available.