mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:02 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:57 pm 
Site Admin

I'm sure that most people have heard the news that Edd has left Wheeler dealers, aparently the most popular restoration show in the world !!!!

Here's what he has to say about his departure, it certainly explains why the quality had appeared to drop off over the last 2 series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IB15T1LYiY

I'm really sorry to hear he's going.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:08 pm 

The last series based in the US was dire, and nothing like previous ones. Also the subject matter has gone a bit off, especially the Hummer episode. Ant Anstead is taking over, so does that mean he will not be making anymore shows with Phil Glenister?

Speaking of TV Restos shows, a new series of Car SOS started on National Geographic last week. They appear to have moved premises and I am not sure how much pf the work Fuzz Townsend is now doing. It's broadcast on Thursday Evenings, channel 526 if you have Skum TV.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:39 pm 

maybe hes finally figured out you can bodge up cars... without a big fat toad involved.

I watched the SOS team doing an AC aceca , 9 days to go from a completely rotten shell to the finished thing....yeah right :lol:

you can usually see the cars featured from previous shows being worked on in the back ground...I think they do all the cars first them make up the build time to suit the show.

suppose that's what their audience wants :?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:31 pm 

It's funny how the good guy goes and the 'mouth' stays. See Gas Monkey, where Aaron has left and Richard-the-hair remains. How scripted that one is, I'm not sure as Aaron said he was fed up with crazy short deadlines. But the instantly signed up to a crazy short deadline!

Real shame about Ed, there's a really funny chatter going on FB, about Ed joining the Binky team.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:21 pm 

Of all the car shows on TV, Wheeler Dealers is the ONLY one I would stop at/on while channel surfing. Yes, I know the format was getting old and tired for some but not for me. I also don't agree that Edd was "bodging" his repairs. We cannot all build a new car from scratch and Edd's repairs were realistically achievable for most people with modest skills and (mainly) common tools.

What urks me is that what will be left are all the silly shows where team-A is "restoring" a car in two weeks for some self-imposed deadline and all the pseudo-suspense that the show producers have the narrator weave into the plot. "Will billy-bob find the missing hubcap in a scrap heap nearby or will their critical deadline pass without any possibility of a sale (ever) and how much money will this cost the team?". I also hate the "Chasing Classic Cars" format of finding some billion dollar, one-off car that no one except the very rich can afford... or will ever have heard of. Shows like that convince the uninformed that just because a car is old... it MUST be super valuable and they should hold onto their non-running, rusting into the ground heap as an investment.

Loosing Wheeler Dealers in its current format is a real shame. I wrote Discovery Channel about it. I hope Edd comes out on top in some other equally interesting show. I don't wish ill to Mike Brewer but he simply was not the reason I tuned into the show.

If you guys have suggestions for replacement shows I should watch please forward them!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:24 pm 

Typical example of when a big corporate take over and their big bods think they know so much better about how the show should be structured,without any level of experience. But ironically completely overlooking what made the show such a success in the first place.
This model is unfortunately largely applicable in modern business scenarios as well.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:22 pm 

If Ant Anstead is on-board, then it's a move in the right direction. Shame Mike Brewer is still involved!

Ant's old series "For the Love of Cars" was one of the best car TV series I've ever seen, and was far too short-lived. Wish it was available somewhere online now, it's been taken off YouTube where I first watched it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:54 pm 

Am I the only one, who thinks Mike is not so bad?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:26 pm 

[quote="dklawson"]Of all the car shows on TV, Wheeler Dealers is the ONLY one I would stop at/on while channel surfing. Yes, I know the format was getting old and tired for some but not for me. I also don't agree that Edd was "bodging" his repairs. We cannot all build a new car from scratch and Edd's repairs were realistically achievable for most people

Fair point...Edds a brilliant mechanic ;)
I did a bit of work for Mike Brewers in Sheffield....but although they liked my work ...they didnt like paying for it :(

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:05 pm 

I'll gladly step in although i would only last half an episode before i told Brewer to f**k off, stop P****g around and give me a hand before i ram this Spaniard right up yer jacksee :lol: