mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:22 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:19 pm 

New MINI Electric revealed....
"Mini's first mass-production electric car will start from under £25k and will arrive in UK dealers in early 2020
Including the government grant for electric vehicles, it will start from around £24,400 – said to be less than an ‘equivalent spec level’ petrol Cooper S.
Unlike the BMW i3, the motor powers the front wheels only. Resulting performance is strong for the class: 0-62mph takes 7.3sec, with the top speed limited to 93mph. Mini says it is also capable of charging from flat to 80% in 35 minutes via a 50kW charge point through a standard public charging cable. Via an 11kW wall box, 0-80% charge can be achieved in 150 minutes, or 210 minutes to full.
The Mini Electric will make its public debut at the Frankfurt Motor Show in September, with production commencing in November. The firm has managed to tool up its Oxford plant so both electric and combustion-engine models can be created down the same line. However, the first UK cars won’t be delivered until March 2020 because the firm will prioritise volume-selling EV markets such as China and the US."
More from Autocar magazine here:-
https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new- ... t-built-ev

MINI 'Rocketman' resurrected as compact electric car
Compact Mini city car to be produced in China in a joint venture with Great Wall Motors
"Through its joint venture with Great Wall Motors, BMW has reignited plans for the entry-level Mini model, which is planned to be produced exclusively in a joint venture factory in China for global markets, including the UK.
But while the original Rocketman was planned around a range of three-cylinder petrol and diesel engines, the Mini model being developed by Spotlight Automotive is set to use electric power exclusively, as part of the German car maker’s plans to launch 25 plug-in hybrid and pure electric models by the end of 2023.
News of Mini’s move to build a production version of the Rocketman in China comes close on the heels of Mercedes-Benz’s decision to sell 50 per cent of its Smart city car division to Chinese car maker Geely, which intends to develop a whole new generation of urban-based Smart models."
More from Autocar magazine here:-
https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new- ... ectric-car

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:46 pm 

Good luck to them - but it has taken them YEARS to get the electric MINI anywhere close to marketing!! One of our neighbours worked for BMW some years ago (it could be as much as 10) and sometimes came home in a fully working prototype one.......

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:07 am 

Tech articles indicate range of 270 km / 170 miles.
Thus is waaaaay too low, at least for me (in USA).
I may be interested when it reaches 300 miles.

I would prefer an electric classic mini ... but boy are they expensive!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:19 am 

Old English White wrote:
Good luck to them - but it has taken them YEARS to get the electric MINI anywhere close to marketing!! One of our neighbours worked for BMW some years ago (it could be as much as 10) and sometimes came home in a fully working prototype one.......

MINI E at Goodwood FoS 2010.

I guess because they have had a mild success with the i3 they thought that some of the technology could be used in the "original" city car brand.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:43 am 

Maybe BMW/ China will produce the Rocketman in North Korea :roll: