mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:09 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:24 am 

This is one for my Christmas present list.... :D

THE BEATLES CELEBRATE ‘THE BEATLES’ (‘WHITE ALBUM’) WITH SPECIAL ANNIVERSARY RELEASES
On November 9th 2018, The Beatles release a suite of lavishly presented ‘White Album’ packages (Apple Corps Ltd./Capitol/UMe). The album’s 30 tracks are newly mixed by producer Giles Martin and mix engineer Sam Okell in stereo and 5.1 surround audio, joined by 27 early acoustic demos and 50 session takes, most of which are previously unreleased in any form.
All the new ‘White Album’ releases include Martin’s new stereo album mix, sourced directly from the original four-track and eight-track session tapes. Martin’s new mix is guided by the album’s original stereo mix produced by his father, George Martin. “In remixing ‘The White Album,’ we’ve tried to bring you as close as possible to The Beatles in the studio,” explains Giles Martin in his written introduction for the new edition. “We’ve peeled back the layers of the ‘Glass Onion’ with the hope of immersing old and new listeners into one of the most diverse and inspiring albums ever made.”
https://www.thebeatles.com/news/beatles ... y-releases

The Beatles (White Album) Anniversary Releases
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ve1vaEIXhV0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dhy26KIOEI

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 1:42 am 

Martin, you are the master, keep posting this old stuff, this keeps us old folk a live :D :D

Alan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:51 pm 

mab01uk wrote:
This is one for my Christmas present list.... :D

Not a big fan of repackages/remasters but yes it's on mine aswell Martin! I think the songs sound even better knowing those amazing colour shots of the Beatles Minis outside George Harrison's gaff that turned up a few years go were taken whilst they were demo-ing the White Album songs inside! All the early recordings for the album were done at George's. 50 years ago he and Pattie had just finished repainting the outside of it in the Summer to match his Radford after their trip to India to do some heavy meditating. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:06 am 

I bought the original on the day of release on a cold wet afternoon in Coventry. I was a trainee with GEC and actually had cash in my pocket in those days :D My eldest son bought me the Love remix album for my birthday a while back, maybe I will get lucky again.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:27 am 
Site Admin

As The Smiths once said;

"Re-issue! Re-package! Re-package!
Re-evaluate the songs
Double-pack with a photograph
Extra track (and a tacky badge)"

Paint A Vulgar Picture.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbYmQKIy2z0

Ironically there is also a remix available on Youtube :lol:

I love the White Album, but does it REALLY need remixing?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:43 am 

Probably not :D but the remix of the Let it be album without the Phil Spectre stuff is definitely worth getting!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:12 pm 

The Esher Demos in high quality are the probably main bonus of the remixed White Album, tracks which were previously only available as poor quality bootleg recordings. The remix of the original White Album tracks also seem to have been done with great care by George Martin's son Giles.

The White Album (Esher) demos (1968)
"In May 1968, the Beatles met at Kinfauns, the Esher home of George Harrison, to review and record demos of songs under consideration for their next album; twenty-seven songs, mostly acoustic, have become public from this session. Seven of these songs were released on Anthology 3, including "Junk", a song McCartney would later record for his first solo album. Of the twenty demo songs not officially released, fifteen would be recorded and released on the White Album, while "Not Guilty" and "What's the New Mary Jane" would be recorded for the album but not make the final line-up. The recordings included on the Anthology series were of a significantly higher fidelity (they came from George's original stereo reels of the demo sessions, and processed at Abbey Road Studios) than the bootlegged recordings (which probably came from John's mono copy of the tapes), raising the possibility that there were higher-quality versions of all twenty-seven songs. In 2018, all twenty-seven original Esher demos were released in high-quality as part of the deluxe 50th Anniversary reissue of The Beatles White Album, taken from Harrison's original 4-track master tapes. Giles Martin described the tapes as: “To me, it is like the Beatles unplugged. These are demos but they are good."

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:33 pm 

The Beatles Re-Shelled!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:52 pm 

A Beatles record is one pressed in 1966 or whenever. A teenager went and bought it for 2s3d or whatever, put it on a record player and listened to it repeatedly in all it's slightly imperfect glory. My Old Man bought Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band in 1967 and I listened to it about 40 years ago. I can still hear the faint crackling as the record played out after the climatic finish to Day in the Life.

As it should be. It's old.