At The Auctions

General Chat with an emphasis on BMC Minis & Other iconic cars of the 1960's. Includes information on MK1 Action days.
Porker

Re: At The Auctions

Post by Porker »

Hi I’ve been looking for a project Mk1 S and just wondering if you think these 28k auction prices are where the market currently is for a decent whole project rather than boxes of bits ?
Cheers
Kevin
Pete

Post by Pete »

I don’t think a complete and original Mk1 S is buyable anymore for less than £25k. The prices of projects are completely out of proportion to the sum of their parts and restoration costs but buyers will pay an absolute premium for fairly untouched original cars to restore from scratch, even when so much of the car is binned and possibly still not lose any money unless they do a bad job.
Porker

Post by Porker »

Hi Pete
Thanks I know I am up against it trying to get one.
I’ve been offered a 1071s for what I thought is a lot of money which I’ve looked at and it’s obviously sometime been reshelled into another mk1 shell and with many terrible previous repairs it really needs another shell again and ideally a 63 shell which ain’t gonna be easy to sort. Do you know if these heritage shells are any good ?
Thanks
Kevin
Pete

Post by Pete »

They’re much better than they were let’s say that. Cheap project rarely ever come up now, if you’re in the market for a good original car I’d be looking at the U.S sales but they’re quickly becoming no cheaper an option, but some great original cars out there, many of which end up here. Just keep your eyes peeled as the odd good car does come up for sale but don’t expect original shells necessarily.
surfblue63
Location: Exiled Shandy Drinking Southerner Living Oop North!

Post by surfblue63 »

Unfinished 1959 project at Barons 10 November. Very low chassis number that was built August 1959. Estimate seems fair if the shell is solid as described.

https://www.barons-auctions.com/view-lo ... ni-de-luxe
It's like what my painter friend Donald said to me
"Stick a fork in their ass and turn them over, they're done"
richardACS

Post by richardACS »

Porker wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:37 am Hi Pete
Thanks I know I am up against it trying to get one.
I’ve been offered a 1071s for what I thought is a lot of money which I’ve looked at and it’s obviously sometime been reshelled into another mk1 shell and with many terrible previous repairs it really needs another shell again and ideally a 63 shell which ain’t gonna be easy to sort. Do you know if these heritage shells are any good ?
Thanks
Kevin
Would it work for you to find a 1963 shell from a lesser mini?
Porker

Post by Porker »

Do you know of one?
iain1967s

Post by iain1967s »

Another ex- Catalina rental fleet moke up for sale on BaT

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1983-austin-mini-moke

(although I would have thought '83 a bit late for Catalina, most of those were 60's cars)
jay weinstein

Post by jay weinstein »

It might not have part of the "fleet". There are a few privately owned mokes and sedans on
the island. Spencer Davis has a nice 1966 S he's owned since new there.
iain1967s

Post by iain1967s »

Nicely built 'Acropolis rally spec' 1967 S just sold for $58,500 USD on BaT

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1967-austin-mini-3