mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:18 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:54 pm 

What did the 19th century American frontiersman, soldier and politician David Crockett say when nobody listened to him " you can all go to hell; I will go to Taxas" 8-) good luck as well :idea:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:13 pm 

rolesyboy wrote:
Oh blimey. Try not to take something as light hearted as a ribbing about ADO16's too seriously.
I'm sure 1100s have feeling too :lol:
(and I I won't comment any more on this thread)

Ado 16s :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Rolesyboy what about a thread for those Allegro's things , Maestro 's things and don't forget that wedge thing whatever it was called :lol: :lol: :lol: .

Great forum Mark keep up the good work :D :D :D .

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:38 pm 

What can I do to make the forum better? We all know forums are populated by middle age people and young people use facebook that is apparent. Let me also be clear there is some knowledge on facebook and you only have to look on the Mk1 Mini facebook group to see what I mean. Remember Alec Issigonis designed the Morris Minor, the Mini and the ADO16 in this order. This forum needs to embrace people who have passion for these vehicles because the Mini group is getting more fragmented every year.

My opinion for what it is worth.

Alan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:10 pm 

Here's my two penneth. :

There's feck all wrong with this forum.

(I think that just about covers it!)

:D

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:34 pm 

The only thing I would change if possible would be to make uploading photos easier. I feel this is the only thing holding the forum back. If it was easier to post photos I feel there would be a lot more restoration treads, which never get boring! The big advantage a Forum has over FB is restoration treads and I feel this is what will keep the forum alive and fresh. There is a lot of members restoring cars as we speak and they don't post restoration treads for this reason. Other than that it's perfect!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:38 pm 

Actually, yes I forgot that and agree with Nev. Photos are a pain, especially since Photobucket went down the crapper.

Can I also suggest (having just looked at it) that we try not to post about motorsport events within the new Events section cos we'll possibly end up with several threads about the same event in different sections.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:50 pm 

Nevsmini wrote:
The only thing I would change if possible would be to make uploading photos easier. I feel this is the only thing holding the forum back. If it was easier to post photos I feel there would be a lot more restoration treads, which never get boring! The big advantage a Forum has over FB is restoration treads and I feel this is what will keep the forum alive and fresh. There is a lot of members restoring cars as we speak and they don't post restoration treads for this reason. Other than that it's perfect!

Nev, it is people like you Pete and myself that keep things alive. I agree with what Turbo88 said earlier, sleepers are a problem because they add nothing and feed on what is written.

Would late next week suit you for Elgin and myself to call down with you?

Alan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:09 am 

I've never found uploading pictures difficult, either from the web, photo hosting sites or direct from my lap top or PC. Photobucket has been slow but they have recently changed the front page, so if you haven't been on there for a while you might find it works a bit quicker.

In the meantime here's a Siva Minibug

PS I will let you know how much of a pain Photobucket is after I've been to Goodwood.

PPS To get to the Main Mk1 site I have it in my favourites, so it's always a click away

Attachment:
favourites.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:10 am 

surfblue63 wrote:

PPS To get to the Main Mk1 site I have it in my favourites, so it's always a click away

Attachment:
favourites.jpg

Yes, Stu, but for people who are new or not regulars they'd never really make the easy connection between the two sites. Combined they are indispensable, both should be more prominently featured on the other.

And I have far too many bookmarks to use the, to give me a reminder :)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:13 am 

Mark - the perceived tapering off of posts on here is just a sign of the times, I think. I'm a moderator on the main Mini forum in Australia (Ausmini) and we are experiencing a similar change in volume of posts. I suspect some of this is due to Facebook which has advantages (and disadvantages) already mentioned.

If our respective forums were commercial enterprises we'd no doubt be having management meetings to see how to increase turnover, review how our competitors are travelling and generally think about how our business should change to meet customer needs. But our forums are basically here as a free service to Mini enthusiasts and run by volunteers. It is a resource for anyone who registers, so different rules apply.

The Mark 1 forum has a long history of providing a quality environment for discussing and debating all things Mini. You deserve hearty thanks and congratulations for your efforts. It's always worthwhile to seek comment and suggestions from members for possible changes, as you are doing here. Personally, I would leave things basically as they are and only become concerned if posting volume and quality drops substantially.

I post things on Ausmini that I think will be of interest to members but I'm mindful not to flood it with my own contributions as it may give a false impression of the forum's state of health. As an example we have a section called From the BMC Archive where I post rare documents and publications that most members will not have seen.

http://www.ausmini.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=49

An old proverb applies here - "You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink".

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next