mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Thu May 25, 2017 12:22 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:03 pm 
Site Admin

Location: Oop North where it's dark & cold nearly all the time.
I know I have asked this one before, but I'm here again asking for your suggestions as to how we can improve the MK1 site & forum.

I can't help but notice that although we have more lurkers than ever & we are using more bandwidth than ever the number of posts has been continually dropping for some time now.

I appreciate that this is mainly down to the increased popularity of facebook groups, with a lot of people choosing to post their content there as opposed to here. This is of course their choice, but if I can't find new ways of making the MK1 site & forum more popular they will both die. This is something I certainly don't want to see.

This isn't another plea for funds, it's a plea for CONTENT!

If you enjoy the MK1 site or forum, PLEASE post something here or in one of the other sections, if you enjoy the main MK1 site, please submit something for me to add to the site.

This isn't just an attention seeking post, it is a genuine plea for your help.

As always your input & comments are appreciated.

mark F

1933 MG J2
1943 Willys MB
1961 Morris 850
1963 Minisprint
1965 Speedwell S
1965 Hornet
1967 Austin Cooper S
1968 Terrapin
1968 Downton Tuned 1300 MK2

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:21 pm 

I must say I had not noticed any drop in posting during the week as there is usually a full page of topics that have had new comments on. I have, however, noticed a drop in weekend activity. Maybe people are stuck in their lock ups welding/polishing/spannering on their restorations.

I'll see what stuff I can post (and it won't be pictures of my lunch and my cats).

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:56 pm 

I start my visits here by selecting the "view your posts" and "view unread posts" at the top, right corner of the forum pages. I had not noticed a change in the number of new posts but I defer to your observations. I have noticed a large number of the new posts are "wanted" and "for sale".

I post on a few Mini forums. I generally limit myself to technical topics dealing with "how tos" or workarounds for problems. The members of the Mk1 forum have more background and knowledge than on other boards where I post. Therefore, it is not often that I feel I can add to what others have already said.

Not being a social media person, I will continue to read and post on boards like this one and contribute where I can. What would make me more active would be attracting less informed board members. However, I doubt that's what you had in mind.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:03 pm 

Maybe a section that just deals with activities - shows, events, motorsport, etc. for listing upcoming events / meets, recommending / rating them, arranging meet ups between members and then write ups and photos after the events?

We already have a 'cars and projects' section. An events sections might help bring the other half of what we do off the forum onto the forum (if that makes sense! :roll: ).

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:01 pm 

I don't know if you can do anything about this Mark but I suspect that one of the reasons posting on social media is growing is because it's so easy.
You can snap an image of your pride and joy or latest project progress and upload it instantly all from a hand held device while you're still standing in your garage.

This forum (in common with all others I know of) requires one to scale down any images under 500kb and that alone means it becomes a proper sit-down-at-the-computer job that often you just don't get round to doing.
That said, what you can't do (and what I love about the forum format) is create a continuous record of a project that lives on for future reference.

The instantaneous nature of social media is also a strength particularly when a quick answer is needed to a technical question.
However, the quality of the responses to technical queries on social media can be decidedly mixed!
I don't know of another source where such deep knowledge and experience is available as it is here.

So in summary, what I'm saying is can posting be made easier (especially images) and possibly mobile friendly and is there a way of making a section for quick technical queries that is more responsive (perhaps including alerts to the mobile device of the participants)?

Andy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:18 pm 

The 16Vminiclub forum uses something called Tapatalk, I'm not 100% sure but I think thats designed to make posting easier for mobile users?

As you can tell I've never used it! :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:51 pm 

As you've asked for opinions here goes . The WTH???? Post has turned into a free for all slagging off of everything advertised either on eBay or other sites . This in my opinion puts the forum in a bad light as far as I'm concerned . The mini community has people with different skill sets or knowledge , or opinions of what's right or wrong on a mini . For someone then to advertise there pride and joy and have it picked apart by a few idiots on forums is beyond me . I'm not just saying this forum is responsible for this either , it seems to me to be across the board with all forums . ... bet this is going to go down well :lol: .... also get rid of that ado16 brigade :lol: .... Ken

70 1275 GT
246 Ferrari Dino
997 Porsche turbo
MPI modified
Transit van

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:07 pm 

I don't think you need to do anything Mark but the minute this becomes a politically correct forum where you daren't pass comment for fear of upsetting someone or something will be the day I look elsewhere.

Yes, I'm guilty of posting up some things on the WTH thread, but mostly its about people taking the piss on eBay and deliberately false advertising parts or cars in order to con the uneducated amongst us. If these posts highlight inaccuracies or deliberate misrepresentation then I can't see a problem. Most of the sellers of dodgy parts or cars will be all to aware of what they are trying to do - pull the wool over potential buyers eyes.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:15 pm 

maybe a 'what the hell has Rich bought that for!?!' section? :lol:

Otherwise, it's generally fine as it is. I think those of us who remember the old original forum maybe put up a huge amount of content in the early days that many newer members won't have seen - is there still an archive? maybe a selection could be carried over each week or month (if that's possible with formatting etc) to A: make it more accessible, and B: promote further discussion amongst those to whom it may be new. the Facebook Groups, whilst OK don't have the background of all this info.

I suspect things will pick up as the season picks up. Many folks cars will not be out of the garage 'till after Easter (or Blyton)

Al

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:19 pm 

Great forum- and the best by a long chalk. Really informative and generally no muppetry.
I agree that posting photos is a PITA. If we could do that more quickly I would definitely add pics of my projects etc and therefore would quickly encourage more posts from me
Agree - the WTH thread strikes me as pointless. The regular slots for ringers is getting a bit tiresome (they are probably mor often than not just an innocent reshell) and and doesn't actually change the output.
Oh, and they should reintroduce the scrappage scheme for all ADO16s :o :lol:
Happy Friday

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next