mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:41 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:41 pm 

Spider wrote:
If I can ask though one small feature I would like that is on another forum that I'm on is a 'Like' key. It's just a quick, simple way of saying 'yeap, I read that, like and agree with it' without having to quote the post and say 'Yeap, agree' (or what ever) and look like you're jumping on someone else's bandwagon. At first, I thought it a bit gimmicky, like FB, but now I've gotten used to it, I really do think it a brilliant feature. So many posts here, I go to 'like' but,,,,,, no key,,,,,

I guess such a feature would also help with bandwidth and storage?

If it is possible on here I think this is great feature......TMF posts have a 'Like This' key, Total Mini forum has a 'Thanks' button....useful for all the points Spider has made above and it also allows members who don't post much to register their appreciation or agreement easily and reassures the person who has posted that someone thought their thoughts or efforts to add something were worthwhile and of interest to someone!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:10 pm 

Having a 'Like' or 'Thanks' button is a great idea and one that I would like to install on the forum that I'm involved with. However it's easier said than done! Both forums run on the well known phpBB software. It's great software but sadly doesn't come with a 'Like' or 'Thanks' button as standard. It needs someone to write a bit of phpBB code for the feature to be added to the forum but the writing of that bit of code still appears to be in the melting pot. Certainly that's true of more recent versions of phpBB.

Mention is made of TMF having the feature but it runs under IP.Board community forum software and Total Mini runs under V.Bulletin so neither would be any good here on the Mk 1, or on any other phpBB based forum for that matter. It's annoying and frustrating but that's the situation we are in. I'm sure that Mark would like to install a 'Like' or 'Thanks' button as much as I would.

Graham

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:12 pm 

mab01uk wrote:
Spider wrote:
If I can ask though one small feature I would like that is on another forum that I'm on is a 'Like' key. It's just a quick, simple way of saying 'yeap, I read that, like and agree with it' without having to quote the post and say 'Yeap, agree' (or what ever) and look like you're jumping on someone else's bandwagon. At first, I thought it a bit gimmicky, like FB, but now I've gotten used to it, I really do think it a brilliant feature. So many posts here, I go to 'like' but,,,,,, no key,,,,,

I guess such a feature would also help with bandwidth and storage?

If it is possible on here I think this is great feature......TMF posts have a 'Like This' key, Total Mini forum has a 'Thanks' button....useful for all the points Spider has made above and it also allows members who don't post much to register their appreciation or agreement easily and reassures the person who has posted that someone thought their thoughts or efforts to add something were worthwhile and of interest to someone!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:35 pm 

To me this has become THE forum for all things Mini related. Just the right mix of those interested in detailed originality and period modifications, spot on. If i ever need to know how to fit a mega base boom box type thingy in my boot, I'll look elsewhere !. I'm also pleased that other BMC models are catered for but not taking over the forum and my recent ADO16 purchase was due to my interest being rekindled by this forum. If i were to add anything it would be a "how to" section where people could divulge their secret methods for those technically awkward jobs covered by one liners in the manuals. I've found this quite useful particularly on the SELOC forum for my Elise. Other than that it's fab' and thanks to IAIN for letting me know about it.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:01 am 

There was a problem someone was having the in the cars and projects section, another person had the answer, but was apparently tired of posting it. It was for the gear lever rattling.
I know of two current gear levers rattling and would like to no the answer, but do not.

So perhaps when a common problem is found, these could be pinned to the top of the tech section with a good description of the cure.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:01 am 

On a motorbike forum I frequent they have a section called the archive.

Any 'valuable' posts from whichever section of the forum get moved to this section so searching becomes less arduous.

Might be worth a thought.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:32 pm 

As an example.....this is the 'How To' section of the North American R50/53 MINI Forum which has archived some of the most useful info and members contributions in one place for easy reference:-
https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/f ... ow-to-340/

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:22 pm 

Hello, I'm a lurker. I feed on the life-blood of knowledge like a leech. I love this forum. I have been to every Blyton meet, but never done a lap of the track. In fact I have not driven a running Mini in many years. I am technically pretty incompetent and would be embarrassed to share pictures of much of my resto work. What have I got to add to the knowledge base and craftsmanship that is displayed on here?

However, I see the forum as a virtual pub. In a pub conversation there will always be the different characters, the knowledgeable; the funny; the chatty; the listener; the mad and often the pissed. In the pub you seldom agree with all of them, that is what makes it interesting/funny/annoying/fun. I have joined the Facebook conversation, and not enjoyed the experience. That pub is not for me. I like this pub, and I hope one day I will have something of value to add to the conversation (it might be quite a long wait). I could post more questions, which a decent internet search could answer. Or I could post images of very impressive bird-shit welding, that had the bonding characteristics of velco. I will, to boost the stats. But the beauty of this forum, to me is that I don't know what the pub conversation is going to be about tonight. And I look forward to the day when I am not a lurker, but a useful contributor.

In a more direct answer to the question in hand, is there a webinar function, i.e. live group chatter? Could there be a scheduled 'speaker' session on a particular topic/problem chat (I appreciate cross-time zone issues). But if members could be informed that on such a day at such a time 2 or 3 'knowies' would respond to questions about gearbox building or SU set up. Is that all getting too techy, Mark I don't want to impose unrealistic expectations on you. Your commitment is already way beyond the sensible. Thank you.

On page one of this item, someone else said they felt they did not have the knowledge to add value, perhaps he and I could have our own Numpty section!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:43 pm 

Section on worst discovered bodges ? , well you could blame someone else for personal bodges and gauge reactions .!! It should be made law that farmers cannot buy welders :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:07 am 

2311Jethro wrote:

What have I got to add

Those who ask questions are a contributor just as much as those answers.

If no questions are asked, then no answers will be forthcoming - even for the lurkers.

By the sounds of it, I think you may have a question or two that could be posted up.

Be a considerably different forum if it was just posts of photos of Minis and other BMC Cars, in a 'show' format.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next