mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Thu May 25, 2017 12:20 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:58 pm 

Same here, the 1960 I'm building is using all of the old bushings and gaiters that were on the car. The rear radius arm bearings and bushes were perfect as were all the rubber seals and gaiters. you really can't beat old/genuine quality parts and when you think the mini was designed and built to a budget it's amazing the longevity of those parts.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:42 am 

Andrew1967 wrote:
I have reused all of the MOWOG bushes and gaiters on the currently being carried out refurb of the front of my 60, that I fitted some 15 years ago and were all perfectly servicable, no signs of deterioration.

The problem with aged rubber is not so much that it turns to dust like all our new replacements, but that it get hard with age. It's an inescapable property of rubber. If it doesn't get hard, then it is cheap rubbish that will turn to powder. There's really no in between.

Depending on how the rubber's been stored will have a fair bit to do with whether or not it's still serviceable, but even then, that's quite finite.

I've got a few old front end rubbers here, while they have been stored out of the sunlight, they are hard as a rock.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:28 am 

I'd agree that the donuts get somewhat hard with age but there's nothing wrong with the bushes and gaiters I put back in after 15 years in the car and however long since production.

The 850's original donuts are a bit hard now, but it sits so well I won't change them for new ones that you need hi-lo's on for constant adjustment of the suspension, due to sagging cones, even 'genuine' Moulton ones

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:13 pm 

Around 15-20 years ago, I made the suggestion (in print) that BMW took Heritage under its wing, amalgamated it with Mobile Tradition and took over the production of Mini parts because of this very situation. Owners of certain Mini parts suppliers went absolutely batshit, and veiled threats were made.

Seems I was right after all!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:53 pm 
Site Admin

Location: Oop North where it's dark & cold nearly all the time.
To be honest, I (personally speaking) am absolutely sick to the back teeth of this particular subject. It has been re run over & over again to no great conclusion.

Yes, some parts available nowadays are shit, but most are fine, some are GREAT!

Of all the classic cars out there the Mini is better placed than almost any other type of car as far as availability of spare parts is concerned.

As with all things, the economics of supply & demand apply just as much to Minis as everything else, if there is a comparatively speaking tiny demand for something it is either going to be very expensive or of poor quality. Really great international standard manufacturers are not going to tool up to make something they can sell for brass washers to a handful of people, they are far to busy making millions of something else for real car companies.

Add to this the complication that most people will go for the cheapest option every time & then moan when it's crap, instead of being prepared to pay decent money for a decent component to begin with, which is why Mini suppliers stock the cheap ones in the first place. All they are doing is giving the customer what he wants. Which would you stock if itb was your business? A crap one you can sell 100 of or a good one that you will sell 10 of & be told by the other 90 that its way too expensive & they can get a much cheaper one from Mong spares down the road. This is a fact of life & we all just need to get used to it.

As far as droning endlessly on about how crap new parts are here all the time, wouldn't it be more constructive to have a thread where people could say what the best part option they found was?

For what it's worth I buy 99% of my stuff from Minispares, I find it is usually pretty good, with the odd exception to the rule, wheel bearings being one. If someone could suggest a good source for these at a reasonable price, I'd be interested to hear about it.

1933 MG J2
1943 Willys MB
1961 Morris 850
1963 Minisprint
1965 Speedwell S
1965 Hornet
1967 Austin Cooper S
1968 Terrapin
1968 Downton Tuned 1300 MK2

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:18 pm 

Might be worth having a chat to these people Mark, we use them through work and I've never had a bad bearing from them for the things we do, never had to use them for the classic stuff as yet as I've been lucky with NOS.

http://www.schgroup.com/classic-car-bearings.php

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:51 pm 

..interesting - their bearings are made in China, which seems to lend the lie to the old chestnut that anything made in China is crap (which I never subscribe to).

I've bearings from NTN, FAG and others recently which have been shocking, I'll give these guys a try.

Jon

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:54 pm 

Jono wrote:
..interesting - their bearings are made in China, which seems to lend the lie to the old chestnut that anything made in China is crap (which I never subscribe to)

Jono is quite right. Not everything made in China is rubbish. Far from it and it is often really well made. Putting cars aside for one moment just have a look at some of the equipment you have in your kitchen. It might have a well known name on it but when you look closely at the label more often than not it will say 'Made in China.' It's just the same here in Brazil. We have a Philips food processor and a stand mixer similar to a Kenwood Chef and both are brilliant bits of kit. Both made in China of course. 30 or 40 years ago the standard of products that came out of China was pretty poor but you can't say that any more. Yes, there is still rubbish but on the whole the stuff they churn out is good.

Graham

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:55 pm 

GrahamWRobinson wrote:

Not everything made in China is rubbish.
Graham

I've found that usually if the Chinese factory is foreign (to the Chinese) owned and has Engineers and other prominent staff who are also not Chinese, then the product is usually about as good as you'll get from anywhere else.

It's usually the Chinese owned and run factories that make the rubbish.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:43 pm 

The Chinese will make whatever quality you need, from absolutely rubbish to absolutely first-class.......a few are also known for their total disrespect for intellectual rights and soon after may start making a cheaper/inferior copy of your product in another factory down the road! Go to any Mini show and you will see crowds of people ready to hand over cash to 'unknown' traders for safety critical parts like ball joints just because they are the cheapest at the show but with no guarantee as to what grade of steel has been used in their manufacture.....

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next