mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Thu May 25, 2017 12:22 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:58 am 

I though I would share with you my experiences of new (mainly mechanical) parts I have used on my mini for and since it's rebuild two years ago. When the car was re-built/restored I decided to replace all bushes and bearings etc as I would be putting a lot of power through them and doing a couple of track days. I purchased a lot of supposedly 'genuine' rover parts including balljoints, wheel bearings, knuckle joints, cv joints etc from a supplier which appears at most of the major uk shows with boxes of 'genuine' parts.
Within a dew hundred miles the first failures began. Firstly was a cv joint, the joint didn't actually fail but it was machined incorrectly allowing the driveshaft to fall out - it wouldn't allow the retaining clip to seat correctly. On close inspection it was clear there were not genuine parts and were very poorly made. They were replaced by a set recommended by minispares and so far these have been good covering a couple of thousand miles and a couple of track days with around 180bhp going through them.

The second parts which failed where the wheel bearings, again supposedly genuine parts in proper rover boxes which I paid a premium for, lasted for around 100 miles before both making horrible noises. after checking the part number etched on them they turned out to be cheap Chinese bearings available for around £6 (I paid around £40 for them). These were replaced be minispares own versions which again only lasted a few hundred miles (don't bother with those), and replaced again with some genuine Timken bearings - so far so good.

Next was the 'genuine' ball joints and knuckle joints - worn at a silly rate, after careful inspection guess what? yep more cheap Chinese rubbish. Then the brake disks became badly scored after very little use - standard cooper s disks from minispares, replaced by minisports high carbon content discs. and finally the top are bearings, these were admittedly just a generic aftermarket set bought at a show before I knew all the aftermarket parts were rubbish, I've managed to source genuine replacements.

So to anyone replacing these components be careful where you buy - don't get fooled by parts in genuine boxes like I was (even from the professional looking stands at the shows) as they will fail very quickly and are in my opinion dangerous. Unfortunately as I bough the parts from the shows I have no proof of purchase so can't do much about it apart from warn others.

Hopefully this is helpful to some people

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:02 pm 

I hear this all the time from friends, ball joint and TRE failures, wheel bearings etc, firghteningly common! :?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:14 pm 

This is why 'proper' NOS parts make silly money nowadays.

Personally, I view anything in the late Rover or MGRover boxes with suspicion. Older style Austin Rover boxed items backwards are likely to be of good quality. Even then, is the box old or a repro box ? If its grubby and tatty, chances are it has some age and the parts should be OK.

Even NOS aftermarket stuff (old Quinton Hazell for example) is likely to be of superior quality to the Chinese shit that is available.

Obviously other people will think different to me and obviously, as has been said before, it is supply and demand for 'cheap' parts thats drives the current market for crap quality.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:42 pm 

gazwad wrote:
I purchased a lot of supposedly 'genuine' rover parts including balljoints, wheel bearings, knuckle joints, cv joints etc from a supplier which appears at most of the major uk shows with boxes of 'genuine' parts.

I understand the problem that you are talking about but I'm confused about the companies supplying the parts. In the sentence I quote above you talk of a supplier who attends most of the UK shows but later on you mention Minispares. I'm assuming that we are talking of two different companies and that it's not Minispares that you are directing your comments towards. It's not clear from what you say. Without naming names are you able to clear up the point?

The other comment concerns how these parts are being sold to us. If a part that fails is described as a replacement part and comes in a box labelled 'Joe Bloggs Mini Parts' for example, then you go back to the supplier and try and resolve the problem. That's annoying especially if it becomes clear that the part is poorly made. Is it legal to offer products for sale that are of an inferior quality to the original? I'm not sure.

However if the part that fails come in a Rover box clearly giving the impression that it is a genuine Rover replacement part and it turns out that it isn't, then that's an entirely different kettle of fish and it becomes a legal issue involving the police I would have thought.

Graham

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:58 pm 

Yes but ...180bhp :o don't think even genuine driveshafts would cope

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:17 pm 

it isn't minispares I am referring to, most of their parts seem ok apart from their wheel bearings (the ones which they claim to have had no failures with) which failed very quickly. I cannot remember the name of the company who supplied the fake genuine parts but they are usually at shows such as bingley hall - the stand is noticeable as it is plastered with original rover boxes. At the next show I see them at I will open a few boxes and inspect the parts, if they are still selling Chinese rubbish in rover boxes I will make a note of their details and report them to trading standard as well as the show organisers.

I know I am putting more power through these components than they were ever designed for but most of my driving is normal road driving and puts no more stress on them than a 1275 mini would. And the fact that the genuine parts haven't failed yet just highlights the poor quality of these cheap parts. It's all well and good supplying cheap parts to those that want them but it should be easy to find and buy genuine or good quality parts for those that want them, even if it is at a premium. Most of all we should be able to have confidence buying what should be a genuine part, not automatically assuming its a fake in a genuine box.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:49 pm 

As previously mentioned in this thread which you may find of interest......Delphi parts below seem good:-
viewtopic.php?f=5&p=145921#p145921

A couple of TMF members are reporting good results with 'Delphi' branded knuckle joints/rubber boots not degrading and spliting within a short time, unlike most others that are currently available....
http://www.theminiforum.co.uk/forums/to ... ?p=3438957

£13.10 a pair for Delphi quality part:-

Chinese pattern part below.....after a few months use.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:20 pm 

Location: Up north where men are men and sheep are frightened
It's called globalisation
Companies get cheap shit copies made abroad with shit materials and cheap labour
People in the U.K. buy it thinking they've got a good deal
Companies in the U.K. making quality products can't compete so they close down
Now you can only buy shite
U.K. Imports more than we export
Balance of payment is always in the red
National debt is trillions of pounds
We make cuts to everything, NHS and everything else to try and pay it
Companies evade paying taxes in the U.K.
Politicians or their cronies are on the board or advisors to these companies
So nothing ever changes

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:20 pm 

Being mindful of the poor quality rubber? available nowadays, I rebuilt a pot joint / drive shaft assembly today and used the original pot joint gaiter.
The name on the gaiter was GKN Hardy Spicer. Speaks for itself really. :roll:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:50 pm 

I have reused all of the MOWOG bushes and gaiters on the currently being carried out refurb of the front of my 60, that I fitted some 15 years ago and were all perfectly servicable, no signs of deterioration.