mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:22 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:49 pm 

Does anyone sell top/bottom hoses that don't feel like they're made out of inner tubes ?.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:24 pm 

Richspec wrote:
I think in the general discussion about parts quality we are missing the pertinent point of the original post. A trader is knowlingly or unknowlingly selling what are assumed to be fake parts.
Its no good if we all turn around and say the the best TRE is the genuine Rover boxed one, if the genuine one we buy is indeed a cheap knockoff in a nice box.
I think it merits further checking and then reporting back.

Richspec as it the nail on the head , But what i cannot understand is how would you forget who sold you copy parts in Rover boxes, Now i am 69 and quite forgetful , But hey i would not forget who i bought these parts from, So maybe gazwad needs to be saying who it is ,He seems to remember that they are always at shows selling parts in genuine Rover boxes, Spit out the name !!!!!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:49 pm 

winabbey wrote:
Inno Cooper wrote:
Quote:
As far as droning endlessly on about how crap new parts are here all the time, wouldn't it be more constructive to have a thread where people could say what the best part option they found was?

That would be very useful.

I agree, and especially for the safety critical parts (ball joints, bearings, etc.), and those made of rubber (engine mounts, CV and steering boots, etc.).

These CV boots from 'A-Series Spares' were mentioned by me in the previous thread on new parts and have been recommended by some members of TMF:-

CV Boot Kit (Outer) Universal for Classic Mini
"This product is covered by a full OE Quality Warranty. This part matches Original Equipment (OE) quality specifications which means that it is at least as good if not better than the original part the manufacturer supplied the car with."
http://shop.aseriesspares.co.uk/shop/dr ... ssic-mini/

Looks like they come from 'Shaftec' of 'First Line' ? :-
Having built a reputation on offering premium quality products, Shaftec has become the leading brand of remanufactured driveshafts and CV joints in the UK.
http://www.shaftec.com/
http://www.partinfo.co.uk/articles/228
http://www.firstline.co.uk/products/cv- ... g-gaitors/

"On average, an original equipment specification rubber compound boot or gaiter will last for a minimum of three years (without damage) before a replacement is required.
Since the mid 1990’s, many vehicle manufacturers have been making the transition to a new compound called ‘thermoplastic’ which is lighter, stiffer and harder wearing. On average, a First Line original equipment specification thermoplastic boot or gaiter should last for ten years. However, this timescale can be significantly reduced due to excessive exposure to physical impact from loose road material such as gravel, glass and accident debris which can damage this stiffer (and hence more brittle) material. From an environmental perspective the thermoplastic material is biodegradable, unlike the traditional rubber compounds.
Typically the UK aftermarket is always on the lookout for cheaper alternative products. Some suppliers may offer a lower cost product, but this is usually at the expense of reducing the amount of material used (creating a thinner walled product) or by supplying a lower grade material which looks physically attractive but is technically below par for the job in hand. First Line CV boots and steering rack gaiters are manufactured to original equipment specifications and only the highest quality materials are used in their production. Every component is supplied complete with OE specification stainless steel clamps whilst CV boot kits also include a 50g sachet of high grade molybdenum disulphide grease as recommended by all vehicle manufacturers.
First Line recommends that you should check the CV boots and steering rack gaiters every 5-10,000 miles for excessive wear or deterioration. Any part should be replaced at the first sign of material fatigue."
http://www.partinfo.co.uk/articles/225

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:18 pm 

"On average, an original equipment specification rubber compound boot or gaiter will last for a minimum of three years (without damage) before a replacement is required".

That, of course, is bollocks. A CV boot should last a minimum of 10 years and I daresay there are cars out there that are 30-50 years old with the originals fitted. 20 years is an acceptable lifespan.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:22 pm 

Having spent weeks visiting factories in China I have found them all to willing to work with you to obtain exactly what you want but it is always down to what has been said before how much do you want to pay, you pay top dollar and you get the quality you want, they will even discount a little to get the deal but it usually come down to moq (minimum order quantity)which most companies do not want to tie up cash flow for slow moving items.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:02 pm 

goff wrote:
Richspec wrote:
I think in the general discussion about parts quality we are missing the pertinent point of the original post. A trader is knowlingly or unknowlingly selling what are assumed to be fake parts.
Its no good if we all turn around and say the the best TRE is the genuine Rover boxed one, if the genuine one we buy is indeed a cheap knockoff in a nice box.
I think it merits further checking and then reporting back.

Richspec as it the nail on the head , But what i cannot understand is how would you forget who sold you copy parts in Rover boxes, Now i am 69 and quite forgetful , But hey i would not forget who i bought these parts from, So maybe gazwad needs to be saying who it is ,He seems to remember that they are always at shows selling parts in genuine Rover boxes, Spit out the name !!!!!

I genuinely cannot remember what they were called (not one of the major mini parts suppliers) and wouldn't want to guess and say the wrong name. When I bought the parts I didn't really take note of the name of the company and didn't get a receipt (they don't like giving them out at shows). Next time I see them at a show I will recognise them, investigate the contents of their boxes and report back here with more details. this was more of a warning to others to check whats in the box!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:24 pm 

mab01uk wrote:
Go to any Mini show and you will see crowds of people ready to hand over cash to 'unknown' traders for safety critical parts like ball joints just because they are the cheapest at the show but with no guarantee as to what grade of steel has been used in their manufacture.....

And then complain about the crap they were sold!

Quality first.
Price second.

Never the other way around.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:33 am 

Gray wrote:
Having spent weeks visiting factories in China I have found them all to willing to work with you to obtain exactly what you want but it is always down to what has been said before how much do you want to pay, you pay top dollar and you get the quality you want, they will even discount a little to get the deal but it usually come down to moq (minimum order quantity)which most companies do not want to tie up cash flow for slow moving items.

There was an interesting book I read on using Chinese companies as suppliers and the gist of it is that initially yes, this is exactly how they work. More than willing to go the extra mile to provide a perfect product but if you do not keep on them constantly, corners will soon start getting cut and they will continue to do so until it's noticed. In which case they will revert to the cheapest version that was not getting complaints from the customers.

Wish I could remember the title offhand.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:12 am 

Since I posted earlier about wanting to know the source of quality parts it's only right I should contribute some knowledge to the discussion. This post is mainly about New Old Stock parts that are usually seen as the holy grail for we enthusiasts.

A Mini spares business here in Australia, Mini Kingdom Online, has quite a few New Old Stock parts that were acquired when the BMC and Leyland Australia factories closed in the early 1980's. The proprietor, John Smidt, has been running the company for 50 years so he's a very knowledgeable guy. Some of the parts are specific to Australian built Minis but he also has UK Mini parts, many as a result of the 200 complete new cars he imported from BMC UK a few decades ago. John acquired some of the Australian factory tooling and has access to original engineering drawings so parts can continue to be manufactured to factory specification.

http://minikingdomonline.com.au/

John is the author of a parts catalogue for Mini and Moke models that is so useful it has been adopted by many of his competitors. It is effectively a condensed version of the BMC/Leyland Mini and Moke parts books.

http://minikingdomonline.com.au/product ... mited-qty/

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:43 am 

zbarbera wrote:
Gray wrote:

There was an interesting book I read on using Chinese companies as suppliers and the gist of it is that initially yes, this is exactly how they work. More than willing to go the extra mile to provide a perfect product but if you do not keep on them constantly, corners will soon start getting cut and they will continue to do so until it's noticed. In which case they will revert to the cheapest version that was not getting complaints from the customers.

Wish I could remember the title offhand.

I worked for many years as a buyer in retail and engineering, with the retail hat on we used to buy most of our coffee pots from China. To get consistent quality in the end we had to install a QC inspector of our own out there...BUT...in many cases the parts were so cheap you could scrap 30% of the contents in a 40ft container and not feel any financial pain!

Some of the best automotive parts I've seen come from Turkey and the North African continent, indeed lots of MG classic parts are made there.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next