mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:42 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Log book V5 to V5c
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:10 pm 

Hi all,

I need some advice please.
67 Austin Cooper.

The present owner has had the car since the 70s, and has both the Buff log book and the V5.
The car has been off the road since the 80s.

We sent the V5 off to get a V5c (engine no and colour change after restoration) and have had a letter back asking for:-

Photo of car showing reg plate
Photo of stamped in VIN number
Photo of car showing VIN plate

The only one I can't do is the stamped in VIN number, was this actually done at the factory?
And are these normal requests?

Thanks in advance.

Post subject: Re: Log book V5 to V5c
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:16 pm 

The stamped in Vin numbers were introduced much later. Late 80s at a guess.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:23 pm 

Be interesting to see what happens when I send the V5C off for my pick up to get the colour changed - off the road since 88.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:33 am 

Same as you Andrew, off road since '92 and colour change. Dreading some bureaucratic bs.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:40 am 

To the OP. I managed to get the chassis number corrected from CA257 to CA2S7, a common mistake.... and the engine capacity corrected from 997 to 998 which had been wrong since first registration. So it is possible. However I had to send them a PhD thesis on the subject to educate and convince them. I think in your case changing the name, V5 to V5C, the colour and the engine number all at the same time results in red flags. Best to do one thing at a time. Write them a letter with some supporting evidence, or give them a ring and discuss. This approach usually gets results, you just have to jump through a few hoops first. Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Last edited by BLT on Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:59 am 

Was the car still on the DVLA tax checker site? Were you changing the keeper?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:50 am 

BLT wrote:
To the OP. I managed to get the chassis number corrected from CA257 to CA2S7, a common mistake....

Common indeed. My registration has that mistake :) haven't bothered fixing it yet, though.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:08 am 

I called dvla yesterday as I'm in the same situation with my Wolseley. It's been off the road since 87 and only has the old v5 and doesn't show on their database. I was told to just submit a v62 (along with £25) to apply for a v5c, no need to send in the old v5. No mention of photo's just put these details on the form. Of course reality may be different, I'll find out soon.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:19 am 
Site Admin

Location: Oop North where it's dark & cold nearly all the time.
This can be a bit of a minefield that has been created by the people who resurrect long dead cars.

It has (as has already been said) probably been flagged up because you are changing so much in one go, one change would have been fine, but owner, colour & engine number will certainly be "ringing" a few bells at the DVLA!

The best thing to do is BE HONEST! contact them directly and explain the situation clearly & above all else honestly. Explain that you cannot offer some of the info they have asked for because it doesn't appear on a car of this age & simply ask how you should proceed.

I have always found the DVLA to be extremely helpful in most cases & invariably if you have nothing to hide then you have nothing to fear.

Let us know how you go.

PS. A letter from a recognised club, MCR, Mini Owners Club etc. Confirming what you are stating would probably be useful too.

1933 MG J2
1943 Willys MB
1961 Morris 850
1963 Minisprint
1965 Speedwell S
1965 Hornet
1967 Austin Cooper S
1968 Terrapin
1968 Downton Tuned 1300 MK2

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:53 am 

Totally agree with Mark , Honesty is by far the best policy.
I acquired a 76 last year which had sat in a field for 20 years .
No VIN plates , No engine ID only number plates and a 1996 Stanford hall brass plaque on the dash rail .
The farmer I acquired it from had recently passed away so I wrote to Swansea and applied for V5.
They sent me a built up vehicle report form V627/1 back asking for all the info I did not have so I resorted to email and explained everything I knew along with photos of the car which looked more like a national trust advert with all the forna growing through it .
Really surprised that less than a week later the log book arrived in my name .
It worked for me in the end with the exception of the early 1960 I was primarily after from the farm was sold a couple of weeks later when someone waved 1200 quid under the sons nose (git). :evil:
Other saving grace was once I sold all the 80's boyed up bits from it the 76 now owes me nowt and is wrapped up awaiting a restore in a couple of years time :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next