mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:32 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: BMH Mk1 bodyshell
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:39 am 

Is there a direct link somewhere? Couldn't find one on BMIHT.

When we discussed the shell with the Heritage lads on the stand at the NEC and gave them lots of "constructive" criticism they were quiite reluctant to talk about M Machine and the fact that their floors would be the solution to the patchwork on display at the NEC. IE it appeared that a falling out had gone on and Mini Machine were not involved in any part of the shell. However there has been some conversation on Factbook this week that actually they are now working together to solve the floor problem?

So the price is now £9950 inclusive of Vat and not plus Vat as originally? We asked them about pricing in November and they said they'd phoned Somerford and asked what they'd charge to do a full shell to primer stage and based it on their answer (£15K!!). So evidently the answer was significantly higher than most decent body shop charge! I also note that they want £2,500 up front.

For that money you'd not really want to be fannying around with bad door shut lines, wobbly gutters, welding in the front parcel shelf in, etc though the minor stuff like the front panel detail could be done easily enough. Depends how different the finished product is than the one displayed at the NEC!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:44 am 

Pete wrote:

When we discussed the shell with the Heritage lads on the stand at the NEC and gave them lots of "constructive" criticism they were quiite reluctant to talk about M Machine and the fact that their floors would be the solution to the patchwork on display at the NEC.

the floor used was a minimachine one, heritage had bought it in bits and welded it themselves

'long beard boss'

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:45 am 
Site Admin

Location: Oop North where it's dark & cold nearly all the time.
http://classics.honestjohn.co.uk/news/p ... odyshells/

Even the CGI one on the web opage apears to have a bit of a sailors leg going on :o

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

1933 MG J2
1943 Willys MB
1961 Morris 850
1963 Minisprint
1965 Speedwell S
1965 Hornet
1967 Austin Cooper S
1968 Terrapin
1968 Downton Tuned 1300 MK2

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:57 am 

rich@minispares.com wrote:
Pete wrote:

When we discussed the shell with the Heritage lads on the stand at the NEC and gave them lots of "constructive" criticism they were quiite reluctant to talk about M Machine and the fact that their floors would be the solution to the patchwork on display at the NEC.

the floor used was a minimachine one, heritage had bought it in bits and welded it themselves

That makes what they produced even worse then cos it looked like a patchwork quilt. Mini Machine wouldn't have taken it out the workshop looking like it did. We just have to presume they've sorted all the issues out but I still suspect a restored original Mk1 will be a better and cheaper thing to have.

Someone mentioned historic racing, someone I know has already made his own Mk1 from a late shell for racing and has been given the nod of approval.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:02 pm 

mk1 wrote:
http://classics.honestjohn.co.uk/news/products-and-services/2017-01/british-motor-heritage-to-offer-mk1-mini-bodyshells/

Even the CGI one on the web opage apears to have a bit of a sailors leg going on :o

Wait til they put the door seals on! It looked 200% worse in the flesh than the photo as you saw Mark, and that's not us looking at detail differences in a purist way, that was us looking at a horrid standard of finish and huge door gaps.

The best of luck to them and let's see how much better the production shells turn out to be.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:24 pm 
Site Admin

Location: Oop North where it's dark & cold nearly all the time.
The best of luck to them and let's see how much better the production shells turn out to be.

Couldn't have put it better myself. I sincerely wish them the very best of luck for this project & want it to do well. I can't see it adversely effecting original cars & think that as a source of race shells it could be excellent.

However, the start cannot be described as auspicious.

1933 MG J2
1943 Willys MB
1961 Morris 850
1963 Minisprint
1965 Speedwell S
1965 Hornet
1967 Austin Cooper S
1968 Terrapin
1968 Downton Tuned 1300 MK2

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:38 pm 

I think what ever they produce, even if it's not right to the last detail, should be done to an acceptable quality, not just 'that's how it is' and that if you were going to use one everything major should fit from a MK1 without having to fit later parts, great if it saves original cars from getting damaged.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:56 pm 

Have a look at p14 of the BMH spring issue of Motoring Classics mag (included in Classic & Sports Car magazine April 2017. Picture of the late Stephen Smith's car (I think) included with the article plus the words "we are indebted to M-Machine who are permitting us to use their Mk1 floor & sill pressings." They are also creating their "own FIA race Mini Cooper S, and also using the prototype bodyshell to rebuild thepoor old road specification Cooper S that we cut up as a master for some of the new tooling."

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:10 pm 

Seems odd if they are talking to mmachine why they haven't used there excellent rear bulkhead?

Good article about issigonis in the main magazine as well...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:15 pm 

Nick W wrote:
Seems odd if they are talking to mmachine why they haven't used there excellent rear bulkhead?

Probably because I suspect the shells are aimed at the FIA racers!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next