mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:40 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 134 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:38 pm 

Jeroen Booij wrote:

There is a quote in Hrubon's autobiography about the revs it made, I'll have to check that. Mind you: it was the Cooper 'S' engine tuned by Hrubon that was used at Le Mans, not the ST one.
Oh - and thanks for the calculations Rich. It all does make sense.

j

one thing to consider is this

if it was a 2.9 that was used, someone may have miss read the hand written notes and thought the '9' was a '4'

the reason I say this is that one of my French customers has a really strange was or writing the number 9 that makes it look more like a sort of 'y' shape that makes it look like a '4' - it may be that French children where taught to right numerals in this way at school in the 1960's?

next time I see one on his order I will take a photo for you!

'long beard boss'

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:49 pm 
Site Admin

Location: Oop North where it's dark & cold nearly all the time.
That's the point I was trying to make earlier a hand written 9 & 4 can be easily confused.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:25 pm 

rich@minispares.com wrote:
Jeroen Booij wrote:

There is a quote in Hrubon's autobiography about the revs it made, I'll have to check that. Mind you: it was the Cooper 'S' engine tuned by Hrubon that was used at Le Mans, not the ST one.
Oh - and thanks for the calculations Rich. It all does make sense.

j

one thing to consider is this

if it was a 2.9 that was used, someone may have miss read the hand written notes and thought the '9' was a '4'

the reason I say this is that one of my French customers has a really strange was or writing the number 9 that makes it look more like a sort of 'y' shape that makes it look like a '4' - it may be that French children where taught to right numerals in this way at school in the 1960's?

next time I see one on his order I will take a photo for you!

Good point, could well have been the case. I don't know. 2.9 definitely makes sense to me now.
Oh, and, Al, I think that's a diff ratio one can live with quite easily. Am I right Rich?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:11 pm 

Just made a little update on my weblog with some photographs of the surviving fuel tank and the pick-up points for the roll bar.
Have a look if you like here: http://maximummini.blogspot.com/2016/12 ... cos-3.html

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:08 pm 

Jeroen Booij wrote:
rich@minispares.com wrote:
Jeroen Booij wrote:

Well… I know it reached 141 mph and revved up to 8,000rpm…

I think the '66 Mini Marcos was clocked at 146mph down the Mulsanne Straight?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:58 pm 

Jeroen Booij wrote:

Good point, could well have been the case. I don't know. 2.9 definitely makes sense to me now.
Oh, and, Al, I think that's a diff ratio one can live with quite easily. Am I right Rich?

All depends what you are going to do with it Jeroen. On a road car a 2.9 will make a great motorway muncher but if you combine it with a lumpy cam you could have a car that is very sluggish to get away from standing and a bit of a cow in traffic! Sometimes compromises to the original race spec are needed when you are restoring a car like this, unless it's going to be racer again?!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:03 pm 

Many years ago I remember having a conversation with someone at Longmans about the Mini and the Metro (you can tell how long ago I'm talking about!). He said to me that whatever they did to the Mini they couldn't get it to do any more than about 108mph out of it. He went on to say that at the time they were getting 120mph out of the Metro.

Graham

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:22 pm 

GrahamWRobinson wrote:
Many years ago I remember having a conversation with someone at Longmans about the Mini and the Metro (you can tell how long ago I'm talking about!). He said to me that whatever they did to the Mini they couldn't get it to do any more than about 108mph out of it. He went on to say that at the time they were getting 120mph out of the Metro.

Graham

Yep, hence the Minisprint!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:02 am 

Pete wrote:
Back to the Marcos (that 2nd pic is the '67 one Michael) are there any interior shots Jeroen? Usually the hard one to find!

Thanks Pete for clarification.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:05 am 
Site Admin

Location: Oop North where it's dark & cold nearly all the time.
As Pete has already suggested what you finally decide to use FD wise should be determined by what you are planning on using the car for NOW, not what it had then. If you are building it totally back to 1960's spec then fine, use the original 2.9, but if you plan on driving it on the road be prepared to COMPROMISE!

Things like actual engine spec & FD are important to know as part of the overall story, but they could make the car pretty much undriveable on anything but a race track. A little bit of compromise could leave you with a truly great historic car that is a joy to drive anywhere & can be easily converted back to full historic race trim by swapping the engine.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 134 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next