mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:36 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12
PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 10:10 am 

Merry Christmas, I've just drawn the short straw :x SPROUT duty !!!XXXXX

All valid, but for comparisons to have value you must compare like for like, changing lots of stuff introduces to many variable for any comparison to have worth. If a car is overgeared it's overgeared. ie: it won't allow the engine to reach it's maximum potential for that vehicle.

Now! back to the sprouts :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:26 am 

A long silence, but preparation work on the Le Mans car is in full swing.

Amazingly, I have found the car's original wheels back!
Yes, these are not just the same type of Minilites, but the actual ones that were fitted to the car when driven at Le Mans in 1966.
And it's not just one set, but two complete sets of wheels, both magnesium; one with the groove and one without, as they can be seen on many historic photographs with the grooved ones on the front and the smooth ones on the back. Quite a find, I thought.

I have now also bought a Cooper 'S' engine, which is going to be build to the right spec.
Not cheap! The first deposit has been paid, though, so work is started. It's going to be quite something.

But first I need to finish the body.
Quite a job on its own. I have started sanding down the layers of paint, which turns out to be kind of nightmarish. The original layer of blue as well as the yellow and the racing roundels are sprayed on as thin as they get, and the same goes for the next layers (light blue, green, orangey-red, maroon). However, then there are two more layers of red, which are considerably thicker and on top of that there is a massive layer of primer. Even with a very rough sanding paper it takes ages to get that off! It was fun to do it at places where I knew there should have been a hole, and then discover it, too, though!

I'll try to get off as many of it in order to show it nicely at Blyton Park, without upsetting the neighbors too much here.
After the show I'll take it to the soda blaster, with body repairs and the fitment of a new roll over bar to follow.
Oh - I had to buy a proper trailer first, too, as I couldn't move it properly. Just did that. It's all about investments!

There is some more exiting news, with a stack of old slides of Le Mans 1966 found and more original parts to be unveiled soon...
I will post some of it, with images, on my website asap.

Last edited by Jeroen Booij on Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:25 pm 

:o Whow great news Jeroen thanks.

Kees

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:14 pm 
Site Admin

Location: Oop North where it's dark & cold nearly all the time.
Thanks for the update Jeoren,

I'm really pleased that you are making such good progress. I know how tricky a restoration like this can be!

Can't wait to see it & you at Blyton.

Regards,

mark

1933 MG J2
1943 Willys MB
1961 Morris 850
1963 Minisprint
1965 Speedwell S
1965 Hornet
1967 Austin Cooper S
1968 Terrapin
1968 Downton Tuned 1300 MK2

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:50 pm 

mk1 wrote:
Thanks for the update Jeoren,

I'm really pleased that you are making such good progress. I know how tricky a restoration like this can be!

Can't wait to see it & you at Blyton.

Regards,

mark

Thanks Mark. I'm looking forwards to Blyton, as always.
I think 2017 is going to be quite a special year for the Maximum Mini display, with a grand celebration of GTMs plus more exiting stuff!

To all of you coming: I still need plenty of more parts for the car. Do bring your bits and pieces over and if I sell enough books I'll be your taker.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:51 am 

I have just uploaded some images and more information about the wheels, block, crank and cam that I bought:
http://maximummini.blogspot.com/2017/03 ... -back.html

It was a hard decision to choose between a few engine builders, two of which who were recommended to me by Mark, but I think I have made the right decision.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12