mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:50 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:30 pm 

Hey folks, got my results back from the FE number which places it as a March 1966 shell which ties in nicely with what I now know !

Where do you all get your panels from ?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:00 am 
Site Admin

Location: Oop North where it's dark & cold nearly all the time.
Everyone (or more or less) use a mixture of Heritage & M-Machine panels.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:23 pm 

Welcome and cracking project you have there..
Says in the title of the post your north east UK... I am Aberdeen... Or is that to far north east?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:20 pm 

Yeah buddy just a touch ! Newcastle Upon Tyne buddy.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:02 am 

Hi Richie, I have just finished using a rotisserie and is now sitting in a corner, ready for my next project. Unfortunately I am in Australia.

You have a big job there, at least you have many many experts over there for help and parts supply. Good luck, will keep an eye on your posts.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:57 pm 

Well work continues !

I need to order my sills and a rear offside floor pan. When looking online I see the rear pan has the cut around for the storage bin... Only problem with this is the outer sill won't cover the hole ?

Am I missing something ? The near side rear pan has been changed prior to me, but a shoddy graft has been added to fill the hole so to speak.

I have the front end well under way, once I have the floors and sills done I can crack on the rear end (not looking forward to it at all)

Finally are there inner sill panels for Mk1 ? I only ask was there will be a gap over the cross member between the front and rear floor pans ? Again the previous keeper has put a shocking graft in to bridge the gap.

I seem to be re doing work undertaken by others rather than cracking on with the rot, it's flipping frustrating... I don't profess to be a super fabricator by any stretch, but the welding I have seen in this car is plain awful !

Rant over :lol:

Cheers

Richie

Ps Australia may be a tad too far for me buddy, but thanks nonetheless !

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:10 pm 

Hi Richie.
The rear floor panel you speak of sounds like one of those nasty "weld over the top" of the existing panel type.
The inner sill is part of the actual floor pan for all bar the earliest MK1 Minis.
M-Machine will have the replacement floor pan you need.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:26 pm 

Richie wrote:
Finally are there inner sill panels for Mk1 ? I only ask was there will be a gap over the cross member between the front and rear floor pans ? Again the previous keeper has put a shocking graft in to bridge the gap.

I seem to be re doing work undertaken by others rather than cracking on with the rot, it's flipping frustrating... I don't profess to be a super fabricator by any stretch, but the welding I have seen in this car is plain awful !

The 'gap' in the inner is in two places...
The bit over the cross member and they generally finish early at the at the rear bin/pocket. It should extend to the heal board.
Neither of which is correct even for the very earliest flat floor cars.
The inner sill is part of the floor and the cross member, lower seat belt mounting and jacking bracket weld to it.
If you skimp on these bits the jack can punch through the side of the car, the seat belt mount can pull free and the cross member can collapse.
Panels like these are cheap shoddy over plates designed to make a car get through an MOT.
I think the big problem with a lot of 'home' repairs is the welding. Easy access to the least difficult welding technology and magazines saying how easy it is have not helped.
Anyone who goes to Home Base and buys a MIG welder thinks they can weld. The truth is most cannot....
Even MIG welding takes a good deal of practice to actually weld the parts together. Some of the pictures in magazines show absolutely appalling 'welds'.
My instructor used to tell us if you need to grind the top off a weld to make it look pretty, then you need to grind it off and do it again.
The only way to learn to weld is to practice, just like playing an instrument.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 6:49 am 

Thanks folks. Will get in touch M machine asap ! I will replace the floor front to rear rather than panel the thing out, plus it means I can get into the cross member and see how bad it is !

Welding wise, I am using a Lincoln Electric Gas Mig. I am learning Tig at the moment and I am just getting to the stage where I can fuse without filler rod. Ideally I would like to Tig the panels in, but reckon I will continue with the Mig.

All good fun !

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:52 pm 

Just a quick update.

I have purchased some floor panels from M Machine, clear quality difference from the other panels I had purchased from mini spares (none heritage)

we managed to photograph the engine plate which confirms it to be an 1100cc engine rather than an 850. I am going to use this engine for the build, so my apologies for not remaining "pure"

the engine is missing its cylinder head, are the 1100's head specific, or can I use a 998 head etc etc ?

Cheers

Richie

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next