mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:54 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 2:13 pm 

Hey folks, I was recommended this forum by a couple of users over on the turbominis.co.uk forum.

I have just purchased a Mk1 project (with my son) and we have a long road ahead of us !

to my knowledge its a 1966 "D" Morris mini 850, four owners from new, it was allegedly purchased at Morris Garages Bridge Street Blyth, Northumberland.

I have lots of welding to do, and some bad repairs to undo ! I have also spotted an FE number which is new to me ? anyone any idea's on this ?

here she is:

It appears who ever fitted the front N/S wing and front panel had done so without the subby in place...

So much weld had been used that it was easier to cut the pair off for good and replace with new items.

Some bars for extra bracing are in order now before I go any further.

The nearside has been braced but the offside hasn't.

We can then chop out the shoddy footwell repair.

I have noticed what appears to be a later sill panel which has been fitted (I assume later) it has the six raised lumps rather than four (which I have seen on Mk1's)

plan is to restore as original as possible, original colour, original 850 engine back in, my son wants to fit 10" minilites to it and pop some 7.5 discs on.

so this is me !

Cheers

Richie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 4:54 pm 

Hi Richie & welcome, looks like you have taken on quiet a restoration project there, if it is any consolation my MK1 was in a far worse state when I started but she is slowly coming back to life so enjoy & keep up the good work.

P.S please ditch the minilite & disc brake updates, just not right in my book..

Dave

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 5:01 pm 

Forgot to mention some very clever forum members on here can date a shell from the FE (body) number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 5:45 pm 

Hi Richie,

Welcome to the forum.

Looks like a great little project you have there and you are in the right place for help and advice.

Have to agree about the disc brakes - no need on an 850. A set of Minispares Minilife alloys however, would look great.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 7:12 pm 

cheers folks.

I have no drive assemblies at all at the minute, I have a twin bolt front subby which is a dry one. was going to build it up and go from there.

this is my sons first car (he bought it not me) I just worry about him driving around on drums. totally agree that it would break away from originality, I was going to try and find a second pair of drive shafts with hubs and drums which would be retained for any future sale.

lots to do on the Mk1 though.

Full boot floor, rear valance, rear wheel arch repairs, drivers door step and outer sill, drivers side front floor pan, drivers side rear pan needs a graft, drivers side rear quarter needs a graft, front wings x 2 scuttle repairs x 2, front panel.... and no doubt once the shell has been to the soda blaster it will highlight that it needs much more than I can presently see !

On top of this lot I am currently looking for a second mini for myself, have my eye on a Mk2 cooper down country that needs a full rebuild, I tend not to do things by halfs :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 7:14 pm 

I am also on the look out for a rotisserie jig if anyone has one taking up space in their workshop :D

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:31 am 

Richie wrote:
this is my sons first car (he bought it not me) I just worry about him driving around on drums. totally agree that it would break away from originality, I was going to try and find a second pair of drive shafts with hubs and drums which would be retained for any future sale.

I have to agree about the need for discs in your case and ideally a servo......I would not let my sons drive a 'daily driver' Mini on drum brakes on modern roads.
Even when working at full efficiency and recently adjusted it does not take long for their performance to decline without regular attention which few young drivers have time for! Also for many years now new drivers have been instructed to use their brakes without downchanging and making use of any engine braking, like we did in the old days.

I can still remember as a new driver the shock of coming down a steep hill too fast, with red traffic lights at the bottom, in my drum braked 1965 850 (my first car in 1974) with a full load of passengers, then the smell of burning brake shoes and chronic brake fade....... :shock:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:15 am 

mab01uk wrote:

I can still remember as a new driver the shock of coming down a steep hill too fast, with red traffic lights at the bottom, in my drum braked 1965 850 (my first car in 1974) with a full load of passengers, then the smell of burning brake shoes and chronic brake fade....... :shock:

that's a rite of passage isn't it

we have all been there

'first pump to wake them up, second pump to stop'

:lol:

'long beard boss'

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:39 pm 
Site Admin

Location: Oop North where it's dark & cold nearly all the time.
Welcome Richie,

Looks like a good project, all be it quite a bit of hard work.

I'm sure you will find members on here who have experience of most / all of what you need to do.

Contact member Simon776 directly re your FE number query.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:15 pm 

Thanks, I will drop him a message.

Richie