mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:54 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: yet another blob!
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:02 am 

I had a Bini, and it was a great car, bugger all room in the back and certanly not as well designed space wise. Although I have always wondered why WE allow these cars into our shows and events ! The whole idea of these cars is so far removed from the origional concept, style, era etc it makes no sence to me at all :twisted: We have many all British car days here in NZ and people turn up in Binis, WTF. I can except that BMW bought and marketed the name and shape very well and pulled the wool over many peoples eyes into believing they were buying into a classic marque but surly WE arnt fooled and see thase cars for what they are, not a mini, just another new car with no soul of its own.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:47 am 
Site Admin

I simply can't get worked up about the whole MINI-Mini thing.

I am really pleased that BMW recognised the world class brand that the Mini had become & were prepared to invest millions & Millions of pounds in it ensuring that it goes on into the future.

However, it must be said that some of latest offerings are in my opinion very ugly indeed.

But each to their own.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:24 am 
Chrysler (Cruiser) and Nissan (Figaro) started this mass produced retro stuff, followed by VW with their Beetle, then BMW with their MINI, and then Fiat with their retro cinqincento. The Fiat is quite interesting. BMW calling it MINI in capitals is quite a smart marketing move, to say it is not a Mini, actually.

Chrysler retro,
Image Image

Nissan Figaro,

Fiat Cinquencento (500),
Image Image

But I have got to say, I AM looking forward to how the BMW WRC MINI Countryman does on rallies. No idea when it is planned to happen. Anyone know? This season, or is it 2012?

mab01uk should be able to tell us. Are you receiving me mab01uk? :)
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=630

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:20 am 

If BMW have their thinking caps on they will do a WRC replica as in this guise it makes the car look quite good compaired to the ugly thing they sell now, with all the snow we keep getting it would also be quite useful.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:48 pm 

Gray wrote:
If BMW have their thinking caps on they will do a WRC replica as in this guise it makes the car look quite good compaired to the ugly thing they sell now, with all the snow we keep getting it would also be quite useful.

It's still bloody huge though Gray, saw one up close at the weekend, it is indeed the mother of all 'blobs'.
Also saw one of these in the MINI showroom, nicest one they've produced I think.....

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:52 pm 
GO MINI! Well at least it is a Mini,

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:55 pm 
oops, sorry Mark. big photo surprise. But ah well, hope BMW give us kick back cash in suporting them nazzies. Ey?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:57 pm 

austinisuseless wrote:
Chrysler (Cruiser) and Nissan (Figaro) started this mass produced retro stuff, followed by VW with their Beetle, then BMW with their MINI, and then Fiat with their retro cinqincento. The Fiat is quite interesting. BMW calling it MINI in capitals is quite a smart marketing move, to say it is not a Mini, actually.

But I have got to say, I AM looking forward to how the BMW WRC MINI Countryman does on rallies. No idea when it is planned to happen. Anyone know? This season, or is it 2012?

mab01uk should be able to tell us. Are you receiving me mab01uk? :)

Receiving you! :D

Interesting picture here of Fiat 500's old and new together..........the size increase is the same % as MINI over Mini and was the work of the same designer Frank Stephenson.

An update on the Prodrive MINI Countryman WRC here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvJb0g-_MjY

Also the X-raid MINI for Dakar 2011 in Argentina / Chile:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfY36whTL2k

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:06 pm 
Tidy Fiats, yes, so kick off for the WRC MINI Countryman is this season then, is it mab01uk?

More Fiats, down Oz,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_BJfcZzmbU

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:42 pm 

Yes, it seems they will run on a few selected events in this years 2011 WRC followed by a full season starting 2012 with the aim of winning the championship title within 3 years. Should be interesting....... 8-)