mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:41 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 2:01 am 

Maybe getting a bit of treatment for the Moonie connection?

From the earlier tidbits that jibes. It seems he'd moved on from 289 JOB by '71.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 10:06 am 

zbarbera wrote:
The Griffin results start in 1969. Was it being rallied by a different privateer or was it a daily driver? Simon you said you spoke to the first owner a few years ago, do you know?

The first owner had it in September 1964, long before it became a rally car.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 12:49 pm 

So, you're saying she's a bit like Julia Child? Found her true calling as a rally car in middle-age? :)

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 7:54 pm 

zbarbera wrote:
From the earlier tidbits that jibes. It seems he'd moved on from 289 JOB by '71.

Not sure I follow. The details I posted come from the official Welsh Rally entry lists. The Welsh, unlike the RAC, Scottish and most other International events, always published the reg. no. of cars entered. Whilst it was possible on all Internationals to change the identity of the car up to scrutineering (so 289JOB could potentially not have actually started) it would be bizarre to enter a car you didn't by then have.

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 10:18 pm 

LMM76C wrote:
zbarbera wrote:

Not sure I follow. The details I posted come from the official Welsh Rally entry lists. The Welsh, unlike the RAC, Scottish and most other International events, always published the reg. no. of cars entered. Whilst it was possible on all Internationals to change the identity of the car up to scrutineering (so 289JOB could potentially not have actually started) it would be bizarre to enter a car you didn't by then have.

Sorry, I meant by late '71, I think it looked like 289 JOB had been put to pasture. You showed results in mid-71. Unless the May 72 Welsh was 289 JOB.

That's an interesting bit to know and I think you answer the question of who the Griffin was that rallied 289 JOB, no? It was Bernie Griffin, not Stan? Or am I getting turned in circles. Interestingly (or is it not) that MJ Grantham doesn't show up as the Nav for Bernie Griffin on the MN results I see. 70-71 John Lunn was Nav in those rallies.

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 10:26 pm 

It would not be unusual to have a different navigator on an MN event. As touched on earlier in the thread, starting an MN rally with a navigator who was not up to it would result in early retirement OTL (Over Time Limit ie. 30 minutes lateness).
Whilst the Welsh was more intricate than the RAC or Scottish, it didn't require a navigator/co-driver with MN level skills....just someone who could survive two nights and a day on the rally (with the day before and the day after with no sleep either) with no long main road sections at all to relax on.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 8:25 pm 

Bit of an update. After talking to my step-mother. I do now know for sure my father picked up the car in Singapore from David of http://www.davidworksgarage.com/. It was in David's shop where my Dad and I did the bodywork. I'm still not sure if the car we worked on together was this on, but I do know for sure now that it's where he got the car. David was reluctant but needed money for his daughter's college fund and liked my Dad. So they made the deal.

She also recalls it was red/black when my father first got it from David. I've written off to him in hopes of getting whatever info he can recall or offer.

Also, wrote to Bill Price.

And it was suggested I try Peter Robinson to see if he has any more info that what is in the book. Also, I learned that Bernie Griffin is still about and a fine fellow indeed. Does anyone have a contact for either person? I suppose if someone could get in touch with Bernie he could settle the question once and for all on which Griffin rallied JOB 289. And may well have some photos of it from the time.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:53 pm 

He's on here Mark 1 S

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 4:16 pm 

Bernie started rallying in the early 70s (or was it HIS early 70s!? :lol: ) but definately didn't drive 289 JOB, spoke to him today.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2016 6:25 pm 

Thanks Pete! Odd, since it looked like a match on that Welsh rally. So, back to Stan, I guess. I think Peter Robinson would be the next stop, I've been told the car is in his book.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next