Downton V997

General Chat with an emphasis on BMC Minis & Other iconic cars of the 1960's. Includes information on MK1 Action days.
minicooperv997

Re: Downton V997

Post by minicooperv997 »

Just looking to establish some dialogue with others regarding this car.
This was my father's car and I remember all about it till it was sold in the 80's and I still have a lot of photos and information including the downton upgrade if anyone would like to discuss, have also read the Mini World article and was disappointed with the article and in inaccurate info that was supplied and also the many original features of the car which have been removed and replaced with some bad "errors"
Only discovered by chance last year it was still on the road.
Good to see the previous post with the car in is previous livery with my dad driving.
Look forward to hearing from anyone interested

AndyPen

Post by AndyPen »

I seem to recall seeing it at Castle Coombe and loving it, may even have some pics somewhere. Silly thing but my 1071 and 970 both has castor oil can 'breathers'. So that caught my eye.

Welcome minicooperv997, and hope more pics turn up.

mk1
Site Admin
Location: In the Herb Garden (Somewhere in the North of England)

Post by mk1 »

Hi Minicooper997, welcome to the forum.

It would be absolutely fantastic to hear about the real history of your Dad's car V997.

It became very well known in the 1990's when it was "restored" by a rather shady character. He turned it into a very pretty car, but also created a whole pile of cobblers history & upgrades for it too.

I am sure I am not the only person who would love to hear the real story.

Thank you so much for this post, I await your reply.
Mark F
"I'm a very friendly Lion called Parsley".

1ely

Post by 1ely »

This must have been about 90/91 Beaulieu, I think GH is in the drivers seat! Seems like a long time ago :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

1ely

Post by 1ely »

I do remember seeing this car in a garage near Woodbridge Ipswich, I was picking up a seat, The chap was telling me all about the trick bits, mag gearbox etc, and that it had come from Scotland. Not sure if this was prior to GH owning it?

iain1967s

Post by iain1967s »

minicooperv997 wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:34 am
This was my father's car and I remember all about it till it was sold in the 80's and I still have a lot of photos and information including the downton upgrade
Some more photos of V997 and other GH cars appeared on this Facebook page last year.
The text is identical to what Pete quoted on this thread a couple of years ago when it was listed for sale.

It would be interesting to know how much of that ‘history’ matches your knowledge.
Was your father Iain Fraser?

davidnutland

Post by davidnutland »

Nice to see some old pictures of Beaulieu, in particular some of the old faces from the time Mike Hardy, Alan Meeker, Ian Jarman and David Nutland.

Cooper997

Post by Cooper997 »

Great photos from 1ely. They appear to be Beaulieu on 11 June 1989. The photo being taken of John Cooper in F714 HGJ appears in the September 89 MCR magazine photospread on page 19. V997 is mentioned being there in the text.