mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:29 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 4:19 pm 

the guy who owns this comes in to work, he is a really nice fella and dead keen about sorting it out, so it does bode well for its future

'long beard boss'

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:40 am 

Restoration Project thread with photos started here on TMF:-
Coachbuilt Oyler Contessa ( The Countess)
http://www.theminiforum.co.uk/forums/to ... -countess/

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:27 pm 

Major progress for those interested, on the Oyler Contessa restoration and lots more photos in the ongoing TMF project thread (you may need to log in to view the photos)
http://www.theminiforum.co.uk/forums/to ... ess/page-2

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:22 pm 

He's making a superb job of that.The odd grille is from a 1975 Wolseley (Princess).

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:23 am 

Costafortune wrote:
He's making a superb job of that.The odd grille is from a 1975 Wolseley (Princess).

Thanks and well spotted! Have passed the information on.

and this page below (from the recent book 'Complete Catalogue of the Mini' - page 213 from the 'Coachbuilt Mini' chapter) mentions "Oyler's emblem was a naked women" which matches up with the badge on the Wolseley sourced Contessa Mini grille.

More restoration photos here if unable to view them on TMF:-
http://s12.photobucket.com/user/frankhu ... d.jpg.html

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:57 pm 

the guy who owns the contessa came into work the other week, and I was telling about scraping all the ziebart of the 'tango terror', but how good the paint was under it (where it had remained thick and gloopy), the contessa had received the same treatment and its really helped save it.

he was telling me that when he worked in body shops in the 1970's they absolutely hated cars that had been ziebrated as if you ever had to do any welding on them it wouldn't be long before you heard a dull 'WHUMP!' as the ziebart inside box sections flashed off and started to burn furiously. a youth watching with a bucket of water was a must! :lol:

'long beard boss'

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:32 pm 

Frank the current owner restoring the Oyler Contessa got the previous owners details from DVLA. A couple of
weeks ago he went to one of the addresses supplied, but the house had changed hands however
the Gent whom answered the door found the address of the previous owner, so the next week
he visited that address!! big result the 96yr old Gentleman whom had owned the Contessa from
1982 till 2009 had a smile from ear to ear when he told him that it was being restored, he also
gave him this old photo of it and asked him to keep in touch and take it to let him see it when finished.
He still owns the registration number but said its not for sale, pity as this number was on it when
Oyler finished building it.

Latest restoration photo
More here:-
http://www.theminiforum.co.uk/forums/to ... ess/page-8

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:22 am 

I think I prefer the Princess the grille came from! :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:41 am 

70's Ziebart........ In the early 80's or so my friend Paul bought an MGBGT that'd been Ziebarted in the mid 70's............ what a mess inside the engine bay where the ziebarter man had gone loopy with the sprayer. The problem was it only truly got to the bits he could see. Alas, in the engine bay the brake fluid where those non too careful MG workers had spilled some down the bulkhead had already set about creating havoc and the rust was creeping down UNDER the ziebart - as it was everywhere else! The inner of the double sill was a basket case. So to repair the INNER, the outer had to come away anyway and what Rich says about it catching fire applied to his MGB too! Ok when applied to clean white steel but given that MGB and Midget bodies came from Swindon to Cowley along the A420, unsheeted on two deck loads of 12 of open lorries in all weathers...., sleet and snow and driving rain, they weren't clean white metal when they got to the paint shop at Cowley.

Sorry to go off at a tangent but the word Ziebart woke me up from a nightmare......