twin tank venting

General Chat with an emphasis on BMC Minis & Other iconic cars of the 1960's. Includes information on MK1 Action days.
Cammsjb

Re: twin tank venting

Post by Cammsjb »

All the tabs are spot welded on a mk2
Johnny

Post by Johnny »

Vertical clips going down the right side.
I never really noticed these until the other day.
The are not riveted or screwed.
They snap into a hole in the seat back.

gogsymac

Post by gogsymac »

Johnny wrote:Vertical clips going down the right side.
I never really noticed these until the other day.
The are not riveted or screwed.
They snap into a hole in the seat back.

Johnny - thanks for confirming. I wondered why my car didn't have any clips for the right hand tank there. Now I know. Never seen these clips before and I wonder where I can get them.
Peter Laidler

Post by Peter Laidler »

Aren't these the little clip thinggies that hold the overflow pipe to the side of the rad?
Nick W

Post by Nick W »

id say they are a bit smaller than the over flow clips

I recognize them but cant think where from?
Up North in Sheffield
winabbey

Post by winabbey »

I believe the part number is 17H9524, in case that helps.
gogsymac

Post by gogsymac »

Peter Laidler wrote:Aren't these the little clip thinggies that hold the overflow pipe to the side of the rad?
I just checked. They look very similar to the radiator overflow pipe clips but not quite the same. The bit that clips through onto the seat back is shaped differently.
mk1
Site Admin

Post by mk1 »

Pete wrote:It was to help prevent siphoning the fuel off if the car was parked on a tilt if I remember correctly?
You do, it was & if you don't cross the pipes over watch out!

About 30 years ago I had to stand & watch a MK2 S burn out because I didn't know about this.
Mark F
General dogsbody.
Andrew1967
Location: Usually in my garage on the east coast of Norfolk, UK

Post by Andrew1967 »

gogsymac wrote:
Peter Laidler wrote:Aren't these the little clip thinggies that hold the overflow pipe to the side of the rad?
I just checked. They look very similar to the radiator overflow pipe clips but not quite the same. The bit that clips through onto the seat back is shaped differently.
Do you have a picture of the part of the clip that fits onto the bulkhead Gordon ?

I have some NOS clips from an old BMC garage and there could be some in with them - probably not but you never know ;)
gogsymac

Post by gogsymac »

Andrew1967 wrote:
gogsymac wrote:
Do you have a picture of the part of the clip that fits onto the bulkhead Gordon ?

I have some NOS clips from an old BMC garage and there could be some in with them - probably not but you never know ;)

Andrew

I don't unfortunately. On my car which had a factory fitted right hand tank there were no clips or tags. I was puzzled about that and so during the restoration of the boot area I welded up all the holes which didn't look right. I suspect I will have welded over the holes which the clips fitted into. The clips in Johnny's photo do look very much like the radiator overflow clip.