twin tank venting

General Chat with an emphasis on BMC Minis & Other iconic cars of the 1960's. Includes information on MK1 Action days.
Andrew1967
Location: Usually in my garage on the east coast of Norfolk, UK

Re: twin tank venting

Post by Andrew1967 »

That's a right bugger if you have welded up the factory holes Gordon :(

The radiator overflow clip has teeth to grip onto the cowling, in a similar way to the side to side brake pipe clip on the front subframe.

Anyone able to post up a pic of the back of the clip ?
gogsymac

Post by gogsymac »

Andrew1967 wrote:That's a right bugger if you have welded up the factory holes Gordon :(

The radiator overflow clip has teeth to grip onto the cowling, in a similar way to the side to side brake pipe clip on the front subframe.

Not the first time I have welded up holes that should be there. You learn as you go along I suppose.
Andrew1967

Post by Andrew1967 »

gogsymac wrote:
Andrew1967 wrote:That's a right bugger if you have welded up the factory holes Gordon :(

Not the first time I have welded up holes that should be there. You learn as you go along I suppose.
We've all done it, but at least you can re-drill when the faux-pas is discovered :oops:
AndyPen

Post by AndyPen »

Andrew1967 wrote:
gogsymac wrote:

We've all done it, but at least you can re-drill when the faux-pas is discovered :oops:
Me too, less annoying than the two holes I didn't get welded up where the old rubber handle thingy kept the racing fibreglass boot (with no handle) closed! I am putting grommets in mind you as when all said and done, it is part of the car's history.
Johnny

Post by Johnny »

Here is the back side of the clip, I pushed it out of the hole. This is the lower one. Seems to have dissolved the old vent tubing and bonded together with the remnants. Not a very good venting system.

Andrew1967

Post by Andrew1967 »

Thanks Johnny, I'll have a look and see what I've got over next couple of days or so.

Certainly looks sort of familiar ...
gogsymac

Post by gogsymac »

Andrew1967 wrote:Thanks Johnny, I'll have a look and see what I've got over next couple of days or so.

Certainly looks sort of familiar ...

Hopefully you do have something like that in your stash of parts. I would certainly be interested if you do.
steve1071

Post by steve1071 »

Anyone know the change over date from the bolted clips to the welded tabs?
360gts

Post by 360gts »

steve1071 wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:02 am Anyone know the change over date from the bolted clips to the welded tabs?
Here are some pictures of my Nov 5 built 1275...(complete with factory paint runs).....has the slide in clips.
I suspect that these were eliminated and welded tabs were fitted with the introduction of the RH tank as standard equipment in Jan. 66
P/N 13H9524.....I have a sneaky suspicion that this clip was something that was used on other vehicles. I seem to recall seeing them ...somewhere!
The fact that they appear to be painted green....perhaps they were used on the Lan Rover....just a thought!!!
Pretty sure BMC wouldn't have produced the clip for a small number of RH tank cars.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Peter Laidler

Post by Peter Laidler »

These small clips and the like wouldn't have been manufactured by BMC but very probably brought in from a small press shops. I know that this is true of a similar round spring clips, also painted green (and blue for the larger size!) used to hold the fuel hoses on MG cars