mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:42 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:39 pm 

This extract from an article in an Engineering based magazine caught my eye at work recently, I wonder how long it will be before new cars also become electronically tied into manufacturers service programmes....

"Sonos, the purveyor of internet-connected audio appliances has a product upgrade programme. To summarise, Sonos brings back older models and offers a deep discount to get customers to replace their ageing kit. The problem is that, as soon as a customer accepts the offer, Sonos puts their speakers into ‘recycle mode’, bricking them permanently.
Why would Sonos do this? I suspect to ensure that they don’t become an issue again if sold second-hand and to remove them from the market, where they might otherwise impact new unit sales.
A similar thing is apparently happening on farms. Older John Deere tractors are becoming valuable, because newer models are tied, electronically, into service programmes.
They are not engineered to be repaired by farmers themselves, but by authorised service agents. If you’ve got an old tractor, you might have a crackly radio or the aircon might not work properly, but if it breaks down, you can fix it yourself."
https://www.develop3d.com/comment/end-o ... mer-choice

Last edited by mab01uk on Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:46 pm 

Location: Up north where men are men and sheep are frightened
This healthy lifestyle is really good for the planet
I was shopping a few days ago
Just some things I spotted that are being flown in daily
Blueberries from Chile and Peru
Green beans from Kenya
Grapes from South Africa
and Asparagus from Mexico :o

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:16 am 

Spot on John. I wonder how many eco hypocrites will be showing their Valentine flowers off tomorrow that have been flown half way round the planet.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:40 am 

Pete wrote:
Spot on John. I wonder how many eco hypocrites will be showing their Valentine flowers off tomorrow that have been flown half way round the planet.

I wonder if anyone has done a carbon count for a lb of beef per cow fart compared to a lb of soya or advocado shipped in - a cow eats grass = renewable resource, ship/plane is carbon fuel. And then we all stop eating meat - how are you going to fertilize the field of wheat when there is no sh!t to spread !!!!!!!!!! I think it would be a different story if all we had to eat was potatoes, turnips and sprouts

I note they are only saying cars here, nothing about commercials - some form of fuel will be about from a long time to come I think

On a different theme, I wonder how long it is going to be before some smart alec works out a way to tune a cars electric noise - "what do you fancy today dear, Ferrari, Cobra, TVR, or Mini"

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:34 am 

SUV,s they all look the same to me irrespective of the name on their Bonnet Badge.. (at least BMC Minis had different Austin or Morris Grills )
where are the creative & desirable designs in todays Cars other than producing just ugly vehicles... anyway in 15 years time just a box will be good enough for me to travel in :D

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:45 pm 

Catmint wrote:
On a different theme, I wonder how long it is going to be before some smart alec works out a way to tune a cars electric noise - "what do you fancy today dear, Ferrari, Cobra, TVR, or Mini"

Electric cars: New vehicles to emit noise to aid safety
"New electric vehicles will have to feature a noise-emitting device, under a new EU rule.
It follows concerns that low-emission cars and vans are too quiet, putting pedestrians at risk because they cannot be heard as they approach.
All new types of four-wheel electric vehicle must be fitted with the device, which sounds like a traditional engine.
A car's acoustic vehicle alert system (Avas) must sound when reversing or travelling below 12mph (19km/h). From 2021 all new electric cars must have an Avas, not just new models.
The charity Guide Dogs - which had complained it was difficult to hear low-emission cars approaching - welcomed the change, but said electric vehicles should make a sound at all speeds."
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-48815968

Strange that the recent EU rule does not think you need to hear a car approaching and about to run you over going above 12 mph?! :o

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:52 pm 

mab01uk wrote:

Strange that the recent EU rule does not think you need to hear a car approaching and about to run you over going above 12 mph?! :o

In these post Brexit days we will have the ability to add to this proposed rule so they do make a noise above 12mph, :lol: the United Kingdom, saving lives and saving the planet :P :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:27 pm 

mk1coopers wrote:
mab01uk wrote:

In these post Brexit days we will have the ability to add to this proposed rule so they do make a noise above 12mph, :lol: the United Kingdom, saving lives and saving the planet :P :lol:

What sort of noise would you like to make ? I quite fancy Roadrunner or Big Block Chevy :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:20 pm 

I think I might go electric in a few years time, if I need to.
Question is, what sort of electric mobility scooter should I order?
Must have a range of at least 50 miles, 2 seats plus space for supermarket shop and road legal plus weather protection.
Trying to remember what the light blue "disabled" vehicles from the 1950s or 1960s were called.
I might also set up a user forum for advice on upgrading!
:lol: :lol:
Maybe create an annual track day - he, he.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:03 pm 

Location: Up north where men are men and sheep are frightened
Invacar, I think they were made by AC and fitted with a Villiers 2stroke engine ( very eco friendly) :lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 115 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next