How many mk1’s out there these days?

General Chat with an emphasis on BMC Minis & Other iconic cars of the 1960's. Includes information on MK1 Action days.
mini129

How many mk1’s out there these days?

Post by mini129 »

What are the break down in numbers
Etc
Interested to see what cars have survived

mk1
Site Admin

Re: How many mk1’s out there these days?

Post by mk1 »

It's pretty much impossible to know.

There are various sources for some of this info, but no accurate definitive source.

The Registrars of the MCR will have a decent guess, but only if they have been registered with the club. The "How Many Left" web site is not a bad starting point, but is by no means comprehensive or accurate.

https://www.howmanyleft.co.uk/

Although if you do a few searches on their it's amusing if nothing else.
Mark F
Forum founder, backer & only admin for nearly 20 years.
I Must be f*&%^g mad

mini129

Post by mini129 »

Yes that site is pretty random I agree.
I guess i can assume that rust will ultimately win.

Beatie

Post by Beatie »

On here metal fusion tends to win :lol: :lol:

'S'-type

Post by 'S'-type »

Great news. Due to the increasing number of log books being discovered in kitchen drawers, that once endangered species, 'the Cooper S' is now breeding in such numbers in the wild that it is expected it will soon be back up to pre- 1975 levels. At current rates of resurrection we can be confident that one day soon there will be more of the S-type at large than left the factory in the first place. Genius of BL to halt production when they did otherwise we'ed be overrun by the common little runabout.

mk1
Site Admin

Post by mk1 »

'S'-type wrote:Great news. Due to the increasing number of log books being discovered in kitchen drawers, that once endangered species, 'the Cooper S' is now breeding in such numbers in the wild that it is expected it will soon be back up to pre- 1975 levels. At current rates of resurrection we can be confident that one day soon there will be more of the S-type at large than left the factory in the first place. Genius of BL to halt production when they did otherwise we'ed be overrun by the common little runabout.
Ha, ha, I nearly wrote something similar yesterday :D
Mark F
Forum founder, backer & only admin for nearly 20 years.
I Must be f*&%^g mad

snoopy64

Post by snoopy64 »

If you want rare then its Renault Fuego all the way :D :D :D
Cheers

Kevin

Minisprinter

Post by Minisprinter »

'S'-type wrote:Great news. Due to the increasing number of log books being discovered in kitchen drawers, that once endangered species, 'the Cooper S' is now breeding in such numbers in the wild that it is expected it will soon be back up to pre- 1975 levels. At current rates of resurrection we can be confident that one day soon there will be more of the S-type at large than left the factory in the first place. Genius of BL to halt production when they did otherwise we'ed be overrun by the common little runabout.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

WMU 211G

Post by WMU 211G »

''Of the 500,000 or so MGBs originally built, it's thought that at least 642,304 are currently taxed and running on the roads of the UK...'' :D

I'm guessing Mk1 Mini production between '59 and '67 taking in all the variants must have been well over 1.5m, of which (according to Mr.Parnell's bible) 83,531 were Cooper or Cooper S models. Impossible to know how many have survived but I doubt it's anywhere near the percentage of surviving Triumph Stags, I was told by a member of the owner's club that around 9,000 of the 25,000 built are still about.
Nidge

1968 Mk2 Morris Cooper S

whistler

Post by whistler »

snoopy64 wrote:If you want rare then its Renault Fuego all the way :D :D :D
Think I can top that with a Chrysler 180.