mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:32 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:39 pm 

mk1 wrote:
A well argued case LIMini1380.

Welcome to the forum.

It still makes me heave though. :lol:

I've been lurking for awhile now. Yet to actually take the plunge, just being a p&**y.

It makes me heave, too, but at least in the States, I don't have to watch it on nightly sports. Not many who care about F1, or anything other than NASCAR, here.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:58 pm 

LIMini1380 wrote:
I've been lurking for awhile now. Yet to actually take the plunge, just being a p&**y.

It makes me heave, too, but at least in the States, I don't have to watch it on nightly sports. Not many who care about F1, or anything other than NASCAR, here.

To be fair, being an F1 fan in the US, as my Dad was, means being up at ungodly hours to watch it live. Especially on the West Coast.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:14 am 

Brendon Hartley was laid back after his car tried to kill him. Didn't rant and rave or lay blame...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:28 am 

The point about youth and money is prevalent through all sports, can I suggest another factor namely respect for fellow drivers.
Prior to the "modern" era GP racing was the most dangerous sport drivers of even the most gifted nature were regularly killed.
Rightly tracks and cars have become safer, so you can clash crash bump your competitor in the reasonable knowledge you will go home.
Prior to this you went into a corner or start trusting your fellow competitor not to engage in mutual destruction. Put simply you respected and trusted him so when things went wrong you were very unlikely to bitch.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:51 am 

So which Feline is going to win this years F1 Championship.. or more important which Constructor gets the Trophy ?
My bet is the Constructor with the most F1 Employees. :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:45 am 

mikal, The difference is that Brendon Hartley is a Kiwi (New Zealander). We are less likely to carry on in the disgusting manner that those other wankers do. You could excuse him if he did, due to the run of bad luck he has had, mostly not his fault.
As Rich said, Aussie V8 Supercars are far more exciting, especially on the more open circuits like Bathurst or even Pukekohe here in NZ. Great that 4 of the top 5 drivers are Kiwi's at the moment, must be pi..ing the Aussies off.
Then we get to the Football World Cup and those tossers rolling around on the ground, when the replays show there has not even been any contact. Thats enough to put you right off that game.
They need 5 mins against the All Blacks rugby team, then they'd have something to scream about!!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:27 am 

Kiwi Craig wrote:
Great that 4 of the top 5 drivers are Kiwi's at the moment, must be pi..ing the Aussies off.

Not me. If the racing is close and exciting it doesn't matter what nationality the drivers are. Kiwis and Aussies are really cousins anyway so it's all in the family. ;)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:07 pm 

Kiwi Craig wrote:
Then we get to the Football World Cup and those tossers rolling around on the ground, when the replays show there has not even been any contact. Thats enough to put you right off that game.
They need 5 mins against the All Blacks rugby team, then they'd have something to scream about!!

Craig, I chalk this up to HD Televisions. Back in the day, you could barely find the ball, let alone see if a guy was actually tripped or took a fake dive. The TV was a large blur with small blobs moving about on it. Every dive looked real! It's quite comical to see the faked dives and injuries these days, right there in HiDef and SO obvious.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:25 am 

You have it right zbarbera. For years the only F1 race we ever got to see on TV in the states was the Monaco GP on Wide World of Sports. I remember checking the paper, yes a news paper, for F1 results or waiting for a copy of Car and Driver to know what the hell was going on in a given season. Even into the nineties it was hit and miss with coverage. It wasn't until Speedvision that I could watch every race of a whole F1 season and I had to get up a 4:30 am here in So Cal to see it. Much better access now. I am still a big fan because of the performance, technology, drama, ect.

As far as the drivers being pussies I would say yes when you compare them to earlier generations, but it seems to me that overall most of us are pussies when compared to our forefathers and mothers.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:39 am 

Winabbey, just a bit of Kiwi v Aussie banter, don't we like taking the piss out of each other!!
But you're right, we are really cousins down here, in our little corner of the world.
Did you see the clip of Ritchie Stanaway in the Tickford Ford drifting it around the track when the team put the wrong tyres on the rear!!!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next