mk1-forum.net

A friendly international forum for people interested in the tuning & modification of classic BMC vehicles
It is currently Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:30 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: GDPR
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 1:28 pm 

sorry for the boring topic, but I'm wondering whether anyone knows how far this GDPR stuff goes in relation to car clubs?

Obviously the publishing of people's personal data etc is a no no..but what about content on such websites such as photos? Would a photo of someone's car be deemed as a breach? So...if you took a photo of a mini, and said this is Raymond McSparky's (apologies if anyone is called that here...it's just an example) Mk1 cooper S, and the registration plate is readable... are we in trouble? Should we have asked first be publishing?

Any ideas?

Just want to ensure that the next time I go to an event and I take a cracking (Lord Snowden quality) photo and put it up somewhere, I'm not going to be hunted down.

Cheers,
George.

Post subject: Re: GDPR
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 2:14 pm 

The key issue of GDPR is the security of Personal Data which in the case of a car club is probably limited to "contact details/address book" information both in computer format and on paper. Maybe car details.
As far as publishing photos taken at shows is concerned I suggest that the fail safe approach would be not to identify the owner of the vehicle, unless you have got permission. An example is motoring magazine features which identify car and owner.
The EU GDPR site mentions photos but I consider that means "of a person." (Personal data).
On the question of car registration plates I consider that anyone seeing a vehicle on the public road or at a show could take a photo on their camera phone and post it immediately on "media" sites.
It is probably a sensible idea to obliterate the number plate before publishing the photo.
Personally, I take lots of vehicle images but rarely know the identity of the owners but if I do publish a name I have usually obtained it from a public source eg motorsport event programme entry list; or by speaking to the owner.
The GDPR regulations relate to "business" personal data records.
Networking individuals "little black contact books" includes personal data!!!! Care needed if e-mail addresses recorded.
If in doubt - I will seek permission especially if I consider it a valuable vehicle as the increase in theft in recent times is for me more important than the GDPR implications.
Any other thoughts welcome as my interpretation is based on professional exposure to the regulations over the last few months.
Cliff

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 2:17 pm 

If someone does not want their car pictured then I think it is up to them to put a note on the screen to inform people that they do not wish their car to be posted on the interweb. If someone goes to a show who has a nice/rare/interesting car and thinks that their car will not get photographed I think they're living in the dark ages.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 2:56 pm 

GDPR is aimed mainly at business's harvesting people's data and keeping data for longer than necessary, any company that ask for your details your are entitled to ask for the right to be forgotten, they then have to wipe any details they hold on
you or your home or vehicle.

As a business i am looking into this at the moment and have sent letters to my suppliers asking that any parts i order, the clients name. vin number, reg number are removed from any data they hold after the parts have been ordered.

I was advised that this is the correct way forward

Still reading up on it zzzz.zzzz lol

http://www.dunsdalecoachworks.com

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 3:44 pm 
Site Admin

I'm doing GDPR (for work) at the moment. What a bore!!!

As I understand it, photos taken in public are not covered at all, and any phone lists or email lists that are used by you personally are not covered by the legislation. Also a forum like this is not covered either as all members have opted in & have already had to consent to emails being sent to them. I regularly purge the database of inactive users anyway. And on the 2 or 3 occasions I have been asked to remove photos or posts I have done so. I will continue to do this if asked.

M

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 6:42 pm 

The regulations apply to “personal data” but even that takes an eight-page document to define on the Information Commissioner’s website.
Posting a picture of someone’s car is fine, registration number showing or not, but identifying the owner could be personal information however, as has already been said, the regulations are for businesses not individuals.
The ICO is going to have its hands full dealing with big companies for many years to come, especially since many of its staff left to become GDPR Consultants!

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 11:11 pm 

It’s more PC bullshit. It’s a sad world we are living in. What about all the personal phone numbers and emails I have saved in my phone does that also fall under this? Teleport me back to the 60’s please!

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 3:16 am 

Do you not have phone books (i.e. White Pages) any more???

Here in Oz, the White Pages are opt out ..rather than opt in.. You don't give permission for them to publish you number (and address) rather you have to pay to have an "unlisted number.."

Look out.. Big Brother.

Google have apparently just moved the Aus managing office from Ireland (i.e. low tax) to the US (outside the Eu privacy walls).

Cheers, Ian