Tik-Tok

A section dedicated to non Mini related conversations that some members may find disturbing, worrying or offensive. If you are likely to be troubled by non Classic car related content, I would suggest you avoid!
mab01uk

Re: Tik-Tok

Post by mab01uk »

Personally I would never have a smart speaker gadget in my home either.....

Amazon has admitted that employees listen to customer voice recordings from Echo and other Alexa-enabled smart speakers.
https://www.independent.co.uk/life-styl ... 65056.html

and gathering more useful data on your movements and spending coming soon...

Amazon opens a supermarket with no checkouts:-
"It uses hundreds of ceiling-mounted cameras and electronic sensors to identify each customer and track the items they select. Purchases are billed to customers' credit cards when they leave the store. On entering the store, shoppers walk through gates similar to those in the London underground, swiping their smartphones loaded with the Amazon Go app. Then they are free to put any of the sandwiches, salads, drinks and biscuits on the shelves straight into their shopping bags."
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-42769096
mk1
Site Admin

Post by mk1 »

We bought an Alexa a few years ago. When we realised that it really was listening in to our conversations. It got unplugged & burnt.
Mark F
General dogsbody.
Exminiman

Post by Exminiman »

mk1 wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:47 pm We bought an Alexa a few years ago. When we realised that it really was listening in to our conversations. It got unplugged & burnt.
If you asked people if they would have a device in their house that listened to their every word, provided by the government for free, without fail every one would refuse - but if asked to buy one, from a company that sells advertising, people queue up......... :?
Spider

Post by Spider »

With these Listening Post devices, how are they legal ?

I haven't read them word for word, but these days there's privacy laws, no doubt though, they probably claim it's not personal data that's being collected but statistical analysis :roll:

If you can search for a branded product, then be bombarded with advertising about that or similar products, that goes further than any statistical analysis.

I had a bitch on here not long ago about the IT world and asked the question has it really made things better for us ? Without the IT world, this kind of Privacy Invasion would be extraordinarily difficult, to the point where it would only be done at the highest levels, like the good old days of planting bugs.
mab01uk

Post by mab01uk »

Not to mention how the 'Track & Trace phone apps' rolled out by China and various governments around the world during the Corona Virus pandemic, have greatly advanced the powers of the state to track and control their populations.....(however I don't think the GB version works as efficiently as the Chinese one yet and I like many were not willing to download anything recommended by Matt Hancock onto our smart phones anyway!) :lol:

China’s Virus Apps May Outlast the Outbreak, Stirring Privacy Fears.
"With the disease there mostly under control, officials are looking for new uses for the government software that’s now on many phones. At the height of China’s coronavirus outbreak, officials made quick use of the fancy tracking devices in everybody’s pockets — their smartphones — to identify and isolate people who might be spreading the illness. Months later, China’s official statistics suggest that the worst of the epidemic has passed there, but the government’s monitoring apps are hardly fading into obsolescence. Instead, they are tiptoeing toward becoming a permanent fixture of everyday life, one with potential to be used in troubling and invasive ways."
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/26/tech ... lance.html
850man

Post by 850man »

nick@dunsdale wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:43 am Do many of you guys use Tik-Tok

Before you disregard and throw your hands in the air and say it for kids and millennials :lol: :lol:

Tik-tok appears to be very very heavy on algorithms so if you pause and watch a dancing dog or such like for to long your feed will be full of dancing dogs :lol:

I have used it for a bit a my feed is now full of quite interesting stuff, metal fabrication, woodwork, carbody repairs and knot tying for some reason :shock: etc etc

Pick up some really good little tips and tricks here and there

Persevere and like the stuff you like.

Hold your finger on the video playing and select not interested when you see rubbish your not interested in, and after a short period your feed will be full of stuff that does actually interest you.
I knew this subject would not take long before all the tinfoil hat wearing folk had there say.
There is 0 harm in looking at the videos on TicToc.
Its only when you allow the app to access your phone so you can post videos that it can be an issue.
So simply just look. There is lots of interesting content on there and plenty of eye candy.
Exept for all you old blokes. No good for you at all. In fact, why do you even have a mobile phone, I am surprised you can use them.
Go back to using morse code. Thats much safer.
mk1
Site Admin

Post by mk1 »

Go back to using morse code. Thats much safer.

-. --- .-- / - .... .- - / ... - .-. .. -.- . ... / -- . / .- ... / .- / ...- . .-. -.-- / ... . -. ... .. -... .-.. . / .. ... . .- .-.-.- / --- ...- . .-. / .- -. -.. / --- ..- -

mark F
Mark F
General dogsbody.
Exminiman

Post by Exminiman »

mk1 wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:00 am Go back to using morse code. Thats much safer.

-. --- .-- / - .... .- - / ... - .-. .. -.- . ... / -- . / .- ... / .- / ...- . .-. -.-- / ... . -. ... .. -... .-.. . / .. ... . .- .-.-.- / --- ...- . .-. / .- -. -.. / --- ..- -

mark F
-.. --- -. - / -... . / ... .. .-.. .-.. -.-- / - .. -.- / - --- -.- / .. ... / - .... . / - --- --- .-.. / --- ..-. / - .... . / -.. . ...- .. .-.. / ---... -....- -.--.

:mrgreen:
mk1
Site Admin

Post by mk1 »

.- / .-.. .. - - .-.. . / .-. . -.. / -.. . ...- .. .-.. / .-- .. - .... / .- / .-.. .. - - .-.. . / .-. . -.. / -... --- --- -.-

M
Mark F
General dogsbody.
m1cH1

Post by m1cH1 »

.... .- .... .- -.-.-- / -- --- .-. ... . / ... . . -- ... / .- / .-.. .. - - .-.. . / -... .. - / -.-. ..- -- -... . .-. ... --- -- . --..-- / -... ..- - / .- - / .-.. . .- ... - / .. - / .. ... / . -. - . .-. - .- .. -. .. -. --. / -- . / - --- / ... --- -- . / . -..- - . -. - -.-.-- ;) :lol: