The worst cars ever made....

A section dedicated to non Mini related conversations that some members may find disturbing, worrying or offensive. If you are likely to be troubled by non Classic car related content, I would suggest you avoid!
mab01uk

The worst cars ever made....

Post by mab01uk »

"An electric car has topped the list compiled by AutoExpress magazine of the ten worst cars. The Reva G-Wiz has the 'performance of a sleepy vole' and 'the structural integrity of your slippers' according to Auto Express. It beat the Austin Allegro, the Morris Marina, the Chrysler PT Cruiser, Rover CityRover, SsangYong Rodius, FSO Polonez and the Reliant Robin to the number one spot."
https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/best-cars ... -ever-made

JohnA
Location: Up north where men are men and sheep are frightened

Re: The worst cars ever made....

Post by JohnA »

Obviously never driven a Trabant, Wartburg or a rear engined Skoda 😆
850man

Post by 850man »

JohnA wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:45 pm Obviously never driven a Trabant, Wartburg or a rear engined Skoda 😆
Or a mobile bath Tub, commonly known as a Moke.
nick@dunsdale

Post by nick@dunsdale »

Worst modern models i work on are Dacia's build quality is like a time warp back to the 80's

The lower spec ones really are very poorly build, had an 18 plate Sandero in last week it didnt even have central locking.
I cant remember the last time i had to walk round to the passenger side and lock a modern car door with the key

I had this misfortune to drive one around 50 miles on twisty narrow back roads and wasnt impressed by the agricultural feel of the car
Sorry if I offend any Dacia owners on here :lol:
The best repairs go un-noticed
Peter Laidler

Post by Peter Laidler »

I just simply can't believe that something has bettered a Morris Marina for being the worst car......... The Marina has even been the subject of a space joke. You know....., the two man made objects visible from the space station. The great wall of China and the door shut lines of a Morris Marina
LDR209H

Post by LDR209H »

Peter Laidler wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:21 pm I just simply can't believe that something has bettered a Morris Marina for being the worst car......... The Marina has even been the subject of a space joke. You know....., the two man made objects visible from the space station. The great wall of China and the door shut lines of a Morris Marina
In 1800 estate form they were a positive liability as well. Too much power (90 bhp ? :lol: ) in a chronically ill handling chassis. But then perhaps it was my mates driving ? !! His was Citron,which at the time was about as popular as a fart in a spacesuit.
The only thing I'd ever owned which came as crap to going round corners was a Gilbern Genie,lets just say I didn't keep it long ...
mab01uk

Post by mab01uk »

LDR209H wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:16 pm
Peter Laidler wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:21 pm I just simply can't believe that something has bettered a Morris Marina for being the worst car......... The Marina has even been the subject of a space joke. You know....., the two man made objects visible from the space station. The great wall of China and the door shut lines of a Morris Marina
In 1800 estate form they were a positive liability as well. Too much power (90 bhp ? :lol: ) in a chronically ill handling chassis. But then perhaps it was my mates driving ? !! His was Citron,which at the time was about as popular as a fart in a spacesuit.
The only thing I'd ever owned which came as crap to going round corners was a Gilbern Genie,lets just say I didn't keep it long ...
Back in 1974 I had a job delivering cars and as a youngster recently passed my test I was quite impressed with the straight line speed of an almost new Marina 1.8TC, at least when compared to my own much modified 850 Mini. However at the first fast corner it scared me silly and nearly ended up on its roof and that is when I realised BL had stuck an MGB engine in a Morris Minor with a more modern body but had not bothered upgrading the suspension to suit the 'cosmetic' sporting image! :lol:
Polarsilver

Post by Polarsilver »

Had a new Marina Estate 1.8 as a company car .. that car had 5 windscreens fitted in 10 Days .. they just kept exploding.. got a shard of glass in the eye & my final fix was a Laminated Screen & my Manager got stroppy because it was more expensive than exploding type windscreens .. that Marina was just one reason i changed my employer & then got a proper company car the Vauxhall Carlton Estate. :roll:
nick@dunsdale

Post by nick@dunsdale »

On the subject of Marina's i worked in a Rover dealership back in the early 90's

And the service manager told me the dealer principal had a brand new marina in the early 80's he drove the car for six months before it was noticed on one side of the car there were matt black trims round the door frames and the opposite side of the car had chrome trims. Quality control at its best :lol: :lol:
nick@dunsdale

Post by nick@dunsdale »

We had a local Alfa dealer in the late70's early 80's

The guy that ran it told me a few story's, apparently when the mechanics used to PDI alfasuds it was common place for missing bits
Seat belt on one side of the car and no seatbelt on the other side, missing ashtrays, missing glove box's etc

One local bought a brand new Giulietta he brought it back at 6 months old with rust around the windscreen, dealership contacted alfa, they said i see you have a new one in stock, just give the customer that one, to keep him happy

They went to get it out the showroom low and behold it was suffering from the same rust around the windscreen, goes to show cars rusting before they actually arrived in the UK was a real thing.