Import charges

A section dedicated to non Mini related conversations that some members may find disturbing, worrying or offensive. If you are likely to be troubled by non Classic car related content, I would suggest you avoid!
66Traveller
Posts: 861
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:47 pm
Location: Belgium

Re: Import charges

Post by 66Traveller »

GeorgeA wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:39 am
66Traveller wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:26 am
GeorgeA wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:21 am One less tourist on the streets the EU court of Human rights can't tell us we have to take back or can't deport.

Shamima Begum cannot return to UK, Supreme Court rules
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-56209007
I hate to break it to you but the European Court of Human Rights is nothing to do with the European Union - it stems from the European Convention on Human Rights which is governed by the Council of Europe of which the UK is still a signatory and a member respectively...

The European Court of Justice is the EU's court set up to enforce EU rules...
My mistake I shouldn't have put court in. EU human rights laws which stop us deporting and the European court we are not subject to.

The UK spent 25 million building and pay to run a jail in Jamaica and another prison in Africa to get around the EU deportation laws of criminals.
The European Convention on Human Rights is not an EU piece of legislation: it stems from the Council of Europe and it still applied to the UK because the UK is still a member of the Council of Europe and a party to the Convention.
User avatar
mk1
Site Admin
Posts: 16459
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:30 am
Location: York-ish
Contact:

Re: Import charges

Post by mk1 »

Moved to off topic.

Was sort of inevitable really.
Mark F
General dogsbody.
66Traveller
Posts: 861
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:47 pm
Location: Belgium

Re: Import charges

Post by 66Traveller »

Indeed... :)
GeorgeA
Posts: 263
Joined: Mon May 04, 2015 11:21 am
Location: Sunny Cumbria

Re: Import charges

Post by GeorgeA »

66Traveller wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:07 am
GeorgeA wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:32 am
66Traveller wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:19 am Which is a fantastic achievement of which we rightly should be proud but which of course would not have been prevented by our continuining to be a member of the EU given the EU has no competence in that area - whatever we may think about it, the decision of the 27 to coordinate was voluntary as was their choice to withhold national authorisations of the vaccines until the European Medicines Agency made an EU-wide.
1) You are wrong because we would have been stopped from ordering the Vaccine early like Germany and a couple of you countries did. Which granted they ignored and no action was taken against them because Germany told them were to go.
I'd like to think we would have ignored it as well. But when We did not follow the rules they tend to give us fines.

2) We would not have received the vaccine as early as we did. Because the UK approved the vaccine months ahead of the EU

The Czech Republic have got that sick of waiting for the EU to approve vaccines they define EU ordered and approved it themselves

"Czech Republic could use Russian Covid vaccine without EU approval | The Independent" https://www.independent.co.uk/news/worl ... 1.html?amp


3) Before someone says it France closed the border with the UK because of covid after we left. I could not have done that if we hadn't left the EU.... Because we would have had freedom of movement...

Germany has closed its borders with France and you need a negative covid-19 test to cross

"Germany tightens Covid controls at French border over variants" https://amp.france24.com/en/france/2021 ... r-variants

"Germany sparks row after closing Czech and Austrian borders over virus mutations" https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/0 ... rders/amp/
I can assure you I'm not wrong on either your first or your second point. You are correct on your third point.

On your first and second points, the decision to coordinate was taken unanimously by EU Leaders - there was no treaty requirement to do it. Had the UK still been a Member State it could (and most likely would have ) opted out. There was also nothing stopping national governments from granting national authorisations for the vaccine before the European Medicines Agency. Again this was voluntary and a decision taken to try to ensure a uniform roll out across the EU and avoid competition amongst EU countries.
To be honest I've not got the time today to pull up the facts to correct your EU utopia delusions. Plain simple been reported in multiple news agencies. If your country's news agencies that you follow choose to sensor the facts then that's up to them. You choose not to look at the wider media around the world Then that's on you. The BBC does it all the time That's why I read and watch multiple.

Here are some of the first things that appeared on a simple Google search I don't have time to go into everything that went on last year when Germany to other accused of breaking EU rules for ordering ahead of Europe when they got fed up of waiting for Europe to sort it out. But the EU leaders back down after Germany stood firm So no penalties or rule-breaking were enforced. So now that precedent has been set last year it's open season now it's becoming more and more obvious of cluster fuck that is the EU joint ordering and roll out system.
That's clearly evidence by Germany, Hungary to name but 2 ordering their own
You can choose to educate yourself or live in a bubble It's entirely up to you.

At this point I'm out I don't have any more time to waste on this topic.

"Germany accused of breaching EU rules by purchasing supplies of vaccine unilaterally" https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/0 ... ccine/amp/

"EU chief warns members cannot negotiate separate vaccine deals | Coronavirus pandemic News | Al Jazeera" https://www.aljazeera.com/amp/news/2021 ... cine-deals

"EU to bring forward vaccine approval amid growing anger in Germany" https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/1 ... rmany/amp/
66Traveller
Posts: 861
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:47 pm
Location: Belgium

Re: Import charges

Post by 66Traveller »

GeorgeA wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:27 pm
66Traveller wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:07 am
GeorgeA wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:32 am

1) You are wrong because we would have been stopped from ordering the Vaccine early like Germany and a couple of you countries did. Which granted they ignored and no action was taken against them because Germany told them were to go.
I'd like to think we would have ignored it as well. But when We did not follow the rules they tend to give us fines.

2) We would not have received the vaccine as early as we did. Because the UK approved the vaccine months ahead of the EU

The Czech Republic have got that sick of waiting for the EU to approve vaccines they define EU ordered and approved it themselves

"Czech Republic could use Russian Covid vaccine without EU approval | The Independent" https://www.independent.co.uk/news/worl ... 1.html?amp


3) Before someone says it France closed the border with the UK because of covid after we left. I could not have done that if we hadn't left the EU.... Because we would have had freedom of movement...

Germany has closed its borders with France and you need a negative covid-19 test to cross

"Germany tightens Covid controls at French border over variants" https://amp.france24.com/en/france/2021 ... r-variants

"Germany sparks row after closing Czech and Austrian borders over virus mutations" https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/0 ... rders/amp/
I can assure you I'm not wrong on either your first or your second point. You are correct on your third point.

On your first and second points, the decision to coordinate was taken unanimously by EU Leaders - there was no treaty requirement to do it. Had the UK still been a Member State it could (and most likely would have ) opted out. There was also nothing stopping national governments from granting national authorisations for the vaccine before the European Medicines Agency. Again this was voluntary and a decision taken to try to ensure a uniform roll out across the EU and avoid competition amongst EU countries.
To be honest I've not got the time today to pull up the facts to correct your EU utopia delusions. Plain simple been reported in multiple news agencies. If your country's news agencies that you follow choose to sensor the facts then that's up to them. You choose not to look at the wider media around the world Then that's on you. The BBC does it all the time That's why I read and watch multiple.

Here are some of the first things that appeared on a simple Google search I don't have time to go into everything that went on last year when Germany to other accused of breaking EU rules for ordering ahead of Europe when they got fed up of waiting for Europe to sort it out. But the EU leaders back down after Germany stood firm So no penalties or rule-breaking were enforced. So now that precedent has been set last year it's open season now it's becoming more and more obvious of cluster fuck that is the EU joint ordering and roll out system.
That's clearly evidence by Germany, Hungary to name but 2 ordering their own
You can choose to educate yourself or live in a bubble It's entirely up to you.

At this point I'm out I don't have any more time to waste on this topic.

"Germany accused of breaching EU rules by purchasing supplies of vaccine unilaterally" https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/0 ... ccine/amp/

"EU chief warns members cannot negotiate separate vaccine deals | Coronavirus pandemic News | Al Jazeera" https://www.aljazeera.com/amp/news/2021 ... cine-deals

"EU to bring forward vaccine approval amid growing anger in Germany" https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/1 ... rmany/amp/
A few points to begin with: (a) as a general rule I have a healthy scepticism of everything I read in the press; (b) I'm as British as you are - so when you talk of "your country", it is one and the same as yours; and (c) I think we can all agree that the EU approach on this has been far from an unalloyed success so far.

Nevertheless, none of this alters the facts - the agreement to coordinate was entered into voluntarily by the EU's Member States - there was no binding treaty obligation stemming from either the Treaty on the Functioning of the European Union or the Treaty on European Union forcing them to do it - it was if you like a "sovereign decision" on their part. However, having entered into an agreement to coordinate, they were then subsequently bound by the terms of that agreement.

None of this changes the fact that, had the UK still been a member of the EU at the start of this process it could have opted out of any coordination and would not therefore have been bound by it. That not only applies to vaccine procurement but also to national clinical approval.
GeorgeA
Posts: 263
Joined: Mon May 04, 2015 11:21 am
Location: Sunny Cumbria

Re: Import charges

Post by GeorgeA »

66Traveller wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:10 am The European Convention on Human Rights is not an EU piece of legislation: it stems from the Council of Europe and it still applied to the UK because the UK is still a member of the Council of Europe and a party to the Convention.
As I missed it I'll reply to it

EU human rights law states that you cannot support somebody to a country where the jail conditions are worse than the country you are deporting them from. That is why we built and for the upkeep of jails in Jamaica and Africa

We could not deport criminals if they had served more than 10 years under the EU law. They were entitled to settle in this country because of the amount of time they had spent.

We also could not support criminals and people from Europe with severe criminal records due to the freedom of movement. As it broke EU law and broke their human rights.

Now we are no longer subject to EU freedom of movement law. We can deport people without breaking EU and human rights laws because we are not breaking freedom of movement. For now someone can spend 10 years in jail in this country and then get deported. Without breaking their human rights.

now we are out of the freedom of movement We can deny entry just like Australia to people with criminal records from Europe. Something we could not do while in the freedom of movement.

Now thanks to Brexit scumbags like this that killed Alice Gross Will not be out into the country under freedom of movement.
Or if they do come in we can deport them.

"Why was Latvian killer Arnis Zalkalns allowed in UK to murder Alice Gross?" https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... e-say.html
GeorgeA
Posts: 263
Joined: Mon May 04, 2015 11:21 am
Location: Sunny Cumbria

Re: Import charges

Post by GeorgeA »

@66Traveller at the end of the day we can debate for week's and it's not going to change anything. I'd soon come on here to read about talk about things mini-related topics

You will always believe that it's amazing and refuse to look at its flaws and just believe what ever EU commission tells you to.

For me Brexit is not perfect It was never going to be just like the EU has its pro's and con and I was happy in it. I have friends all over the EU who I talk to regularly.
It's lack of change and it's unwilling to address issues while some countries blatantly break the rules and get away with it.
French police helping people across the Chanel. (Preported by vote remain news outlets before Brexit was even a thing.)

Yet countries like the UK who follow the rules pay a lot more in than we get out of it get stopped from proving state aid. British steel being a prime recent example something that the French happily ignore.
Prime example French government takes a 13% stake in PSA, in a financial rescue operation in 2014.

On the day David Cameron tried to set the ball rolling of reform to avoid Brexit. He was laughed in the face and sent packing. So we had a vote we left.

The fact that they laughed him out of the building and were not prepared to change anything was a deal-breaker plain and simple. If the unelected idiots had been prepared to talk about reformm we would never had Brexit.
hicklingmick
Posts: 49
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:24 pm
Location: Rural norfolk Uk

Re: Import charges

Post by hicklingmick »

Thank god someone sticking up for UK against the EU gestapo.. George A .WD mate.

Just think we could live in USA and have sleepy Joe in charge who authorised covid bill that includes $140 million for a underground railway in Pelosis district.

As for the vaccine fiasco from EU who actually couldnt sue Astra/Zenaca for delays due to contract.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7CL1cl ... TESTNEWSUK
360gts
Posts: 2110
Joined: Sat May 24, 2014 7:12 am

Re: Import charges

Post by 360gts »

UHR850 wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:58 am :x :x :x :x BRAXIT :arrow: We from the mainland have to pay now Import charges
if we buy things from the UK from E-Bay.

Postage:£8.48 Express delivery to Netherlands
Import charges: £7.74 (amount confirmed at checkout)

What I bought was only :arrow: Price: £20.00 set of four items

Buying from the UK will be to expencive lik this, a friend of mine bought two
Corgi 1/36 Mini models and had to pay :twisted: £25.00 Import charges :x

Bluddy hell.

Kees.

Kees, we have the same scenario in Canada....when we buy an item on E Bay (say the US) E Bay charges import taxes/duty at checkout...same as your experience...the puzzling thing is....does E Bay actually send those fees to the UK and Canadian Governments????? I wonder!
User avatar
Spider
Posts: 4014
Joined: Mon May 07, 2012 6:10 am
Location: Big Red, Australia

Re: Import charges

Post by Spider »

(scratches head) Wasn't there a Co-operative Trade Deal done between the UK and EU at the last minute that allowed for the pre-Brexit Trading terms to continue ?
Post Reply