Import charges

A section dedicated to non Mini related conversations that some members may find disturbing, worrying or offensive. If you are likely to be troubled by non Classic car related content, I would suggest you avoid!
mk1
Site Admin

Re: Import charges

Post by mk1 »

I have said all I can about this situation so many times before.

Still waiting for my "Brexit Bonus".
Mark F
General dogsbody.
JohnA
Location: Up north where men are men and sheep are frightened

Post by JohnA »

20,000,000 corona virus jabs
66Traveller

Post by 66Traveller »

Which is a fantastic achievement of which we rightly should be proud but which of course would not have been prevented by our continuining to be a member of the EU given the EU has no competence in that area - whatever we may think about it, the decision of the 27 to coordinate was voluntary as was their choice to withhold national authorisations of the vaccines until the European Medicines Agency made an EU-wide.
GeorgeA

Post by GeorgeA »

One less tourist on the streets the EU court of Human rights can't tell us we have to take back or can't deport.

Shamima Begum cannot return to UK, Supreme Court rules
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-56209007
66Traveller

Post by 66Traveller »

Exminiman wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 3:25 pm There a big lack of understanding and lots of confusion around this subject - as others have mentioned, there are organisations profiteering from this lack of info.

Ebay may be in that category ? to be fair though they may just be covering their own back sides.....in case they get a bill for the duty......

Anecdotally , i hear also, if you need a container/shipment quickly, you can to expedite it around the others in the queue...... for a fee!
True. There is a large degree of chaos and over zealous implementation at work here.
66Traveller

Post by 66Traveller »

GeorgeA wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:21 am One less tourist on the streets the EU court of Human rights can't tell us we have to take back or can't deport.

I hate to break it to you but the European Court of Human Rights is nothing to do with the European Union - it stems from the European Convention on Human Rights which is governed by the Council of Europe of which the UK is still a signatory and a member respectively...

The European Court of Justice is the EU's court set up to enforce EU rules...
GeorgeA

Post by GeorgeA »

66Traveller wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:19 am Which is a fantastic achievement of which we rightly should be proud but which of course would not have been prevented by our continuining to be a member of the EU given the EU has no competence in that area - whatever we may think about it, the decision of the 27 to coordinate was voluntary as was their choice to withhold national authorisations of the vaccines until the European Medicines Agency made an EU-wide.
1) You are wrong because we would have been stopped from ordering the Vaccine early like Germany and a couple of you countries did. Which granted they ignored and no action was taken against them because Germany told them were to go.
I'd like to think we would have ignored it as well. But when We did not follow the rules they tend to give us fines.

2) We would not have received the vaccine as early as we did. Because the UK approved the vaccine months ahead of the EU

The Czech Republic have got that sick of waiting for the EU to approve vaccines they define EU ordered and approved it themselves

"Czech Republic could use Russian Covid vaccine without EU approval | The Independent" https://www.independent.co.uk/news/worl ... 1.html?amp

3) Before someone says it France closed the border with the UK because of covid after we left. I could not have done that if we hadn't left the EU.... Because we would have had freedom of movement...

Germany has closed its borders with France and you need a negative covid-19 test to cross

"Germany tightens Covid controls at French border over variants" https://amp.france24.com/en/france/2021 ... r-variants

"Germany sparks row after closing Czech and Austrian borders over virus mutations" https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/0 ... rders/amp/
GeorgeA

Post by GeorgeA »

66Traveller wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:26 am
GeorgeA wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:21 am One less tourist on the streets the EU court of Human rights can't tell us we have to take back or can't deport.

I hate to break it to you but the European Court of Human Rights is nothing to do with the European Union - it stems from the European Convention on Human Rights which is governed by the Council of Europe of which the UK is still a signatory and a member respectively...

The European Court of Justice is the EU's court set up to enforce EU rules...
My mistake I shouldn't have put court in. EU human rights laws which stop us deporting and the European court we are not subject to.

The UK spent 25 million building and pay to run a jail in Jamaica and another prison in Africa to get around the EU deportation laws of criminals.
GeorgeA

Post by GeorgeA »

UHR850 wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 1:30 pm Please do stop pointing your finger to someone,
I only told what Ebay did automatically.

This topic can be closed now please, we don't want a discussion like this.

Kees.
If ebay did not do it you would have to pay it anyway before receiving the item.

The charges are set by your own country. You don't pay 20% vat anymore. But we pay vat when importing unless the company is registered with the UK government to pay tax.
66Traveller

Post by 66Traveller »

GeorgeA wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:32 am
66Traveller wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:19 am Which is a fantastic achievement of which we rightly should be proud but which of course would not have been prevented by our continuining to be a member of the EU given the EU has no competence in that area - whatever we may think about it, the decision of the 27 to coordinate was voluntary as was their choice to withhold national authorisations of the vaccines until the European Medicines Agency made an EU-wide.
1) You are wrong because we would have been stopped from ordering the Vaccine early like Germany and a couple of you countries did. Which granted they ignored and no action was taken against them because Germany told them were to go.
I'd like to think we would have ignored it as well. But when We did not follow the rules they tend to give us fines.

2) We would not have received the vaccine as early as we did. Because the UK approved the vaccine months ahead of the EU

The Czech Republic have got that sick of waiting for the EU to approve vaccines they define EU ordered and approved it themselves

"Czech Republic could use Russian Covid vaccine without EU approval | The Independent" https://www.independent.co.uk/news/worl ... 1.html?amp

3) Before someone says it France closed the border with the UK because of covid after we left. I could not have done that if we hadn't left the EU.... Because we would have had freedom of movement...

Germany has closed its borders with France and you need a negative covid-19 test to cross

"Germany tightens Covid controls at French border over variants" https://amp.france24.com/en/france/2021 ... r-variants

"Germany sparks row after closing Czech and Austrian borders over virus mutations" https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/0 ... rders/amp/
I can assure you I'm not wrong on either your first or your second point. You are correct on your third point.

On your first and second points, the decision to coordinate was taken unanimously by EU Leaders - there was no treaty requirement to do it. Had the UK still been a Member State it could (and most likely would have ) opted out. There was also nothing stopping national governments from granting national authorisations for the vaccine before the European Medicines Agency. Again this was voluntary and a decision taken to try to ensure a uniform roll out across the EU and avoid competition amongst EU countries.